Fridge tripping the electrics (1 Viewer)

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Morning all
Went out for first trip last weekend and when preparing the food supplies the wife told me the electric to the van on the drive was not on. What had happened was she put the fridge on and it tripped the power. I didnt have time to check it so we just used it on gas for the weekend. It worked fine on 12v whilst driving too. Before I start investigating I wondered if anyone new a common fault or issue to start with? The unit is a Thetford N100A or N145A fridge freezer with the electric switches not rotary dials.
Any help greatly appreciated thsnk you.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Sounds like a wiring fault or the 240 element is burnt out.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
This is of no help at all, but,we had the fridge fuse tripping in a unit,some one had piggy backed power off of the fridge supply to an appliance,THAT was the cause,so,try checking what else is powered on that circuit.
I am NOT an electrician and a very bad speller,but i have got this far:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Best of luck.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We had the same last year in France, it was the 240v element. Got one off eBay but it was a real pain changing it, had to take the fridge out to get access.

Rgds
Bill

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Fridge

common fault had it on my old caravan element gets moister in and goes to earth,
change and it will be ok. but i have also heard that run on gas for a few days some times drys it out then ok.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could even be a mouse attack.

Entry via the fridge vent and some tasty pvc wiring in there.

Remove the vent and have a look around.

OP
OP
P

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Thanks all for the advise. All clear of mice so I'm looking at the element. I've got the fridge out ok but does anyone know where the element is!!?? It is a Thetford N145 unit.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
The two elements, 12v and 240v, are in tubes above the gas flue. There should be some galvanized sheet clipped round them, full of glass insulation. You need to disconnect the element from the powerboard before removal. There is a resistance reading on the Thetford website somewhere to tell you if the element is duff or not. The insulation sleeves on mine are blue, yours should be as well, just follow them.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
P

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
The two elements, 12v and 240v, are in tubes above the gas flue. There should be some galvanized sheet clipped round them, full of glass insulation. You need to disconnect the element from the powerboard before removal. There is a resistance reading on the Thetford website somewhere to tell you if the element is duff or not. The insulation sleeves on mine are blue, yours should be as well, just follow them.

Rgds
Bill

Thanks Bill , very helpful
I have found the two blue sleeves, took off the galvanised sheet and see where the elements seems to just rest in the holders. I'm just going to check the website as you suggest to measure the resistance. If it is found I need to replace the 240v element does this come as a complete unit including the wiring back to the terminals and the blue sleeving?

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Ours had to be replaced last year. The element came complete with a sheathed cable and terminations for connection to the control panel.

You could work out what the resistance should be. The wattage for yours should be on a label inside the fridge. You can calculate the element resistance from:
I=W/V then R = V/I

OP
OP
P

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Ours had to be replaced last year. The element came complete with a sheathed cable and terminations for connection to the control panel.

You could work out what the resistance should be. The wattage for yours should be on a label inside the fridge. You can calculate the element resistance from:
I=W/V then R = V/I

Thanks, I've worked out the current to be roughly 1amp (233W/240V)
Therefore resistance 240/1 = 240 Ohm
I get 236 with meter so if the voltage ( I didn't measure it) is slightly less than 240, as it probably is then the element measures ok? So I presume that theory is wrong and the fault is elsewhere? I did plug it back in and retest and it tripped again.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Just a thought, as you have it all to bits, is it worth trying to power up with element disconnected? If it still trips then fault elsewhere?

OP
OP
P

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Just a thought, as you have it all to bits, is it worth trying to power up with element disconnected? If it still trips then fault elsewhere?

Thanks - I've just tried that (can't believe I never did it anyhow) the electric does not trip now, so it does look like the element. The fridge tried to start but goes off after 20 secs or so - presumably due to no element in circuit?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Just checked the service manual, the resistance for your fridge element should be between 216 ohms and 266 ohms so sounds as if your element is okay. Next are the fuses on the power board, or the power board itself.

Rgds
Bill

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just checked the service manual, the resistance for your fridge element should be between 216 ohms and 266 ohms so sounds as if your element is okay. Next are the fuses on the power board, or the power board itself.

Rgds
Bill
Element resistance can be in tolerance (and not open circuit), but it could be leaking down to earth - resulting in RCD tripping.
If that is the case, then the element will still need replacement

OP
OP
P

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Element resistance can be in tolerance (and not open circuit), but it could be leaking down to earth - resulting in RCD tripping.
If that is the case, then the element will still need replacement

I think that is the case as when I disconnected the element and switched the unit back on it didn't trip the mains

OP
OP
P

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Thanks all for your help with this. I got a new element in the week, fitted it yesterday and all is now as it should be.
Much appreciated
Thanks
Pezza

OP
OP
P

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Morning all
Went out for first trip last weekend and when preparing the food supplies the wife told me the electric to the van on the drive was not on. What had happened was she put the fridge on and it tripped the power. I didnt have time to check it so we just used it on gas for the weekend. It worked fine on 12v whilst driving too. Before I start investigating I wondered if anyone new a common fault or issue to start with? The unit is a Thetford N100A or N145A fridge freezer with the electric switches not rotary dials.
Any help greatly appreciated thsnk you.

Hi All, thanks for all your help last year with this issue. Went out in the van this weekend and the fridge wouldn't work on the mains hook up - fine on gas and battery - it wasn't tripping this time, just not working at all. Would this be a faulty element again. Power to the socket where the fridge connects is fine. It has been working fine since I changed the element in Feb 2012
Help as always greatly appreciated

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back