Self build -to sell -too pricey ? (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all I have been offered a 2011 Renault master-LWB -HI ROOF for a very good price :thumb:-- I estimate total build costs inc van to come in around 15/16k :Smile:add in 5/6 k for doing it total around 20/22k --It will be made to a very good standard (that goes without saying)probably a lot more solid than a lot of converters offerings :thumb:
BIG QUESTION is
OPTION 1(your thoughts) should I go for it or do you think a asking price of 22k is too much for a self built van ?
OPTION 2 IS SHOULD I go for a 2006/7 asking around 15k that more people would be able to afford/pay for ?
OPTION 3 is sell ALICE my own van and keep option 1 for myself ?
as you can gather option 1 is my favored choice but still at this stage open for suggestions/other options -assuming I can sell them
terry

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Before he died David did a self build on a 2007 xlwb Fiat Ducato....total cost was around £16500 we used it for a year and then sold it for £15500 which at the time was probably a lot for a self build .
However it was a good self build with quality fittings which I'm sure yours will be Terry looking at the pictures of your own van.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The way I see it Terry is that many can lay there hands on 15K with a little effort. Once you get upwards of that people prefer to deal with a dealer and finance becomes involved. I never had a problem selling privately at sub 15K. Once it goes over that people want guarantees and finance. Just my thoughts from experiance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
looking at the quality of yours from the pictures a comparable van from a proper converter would be £10000 to £15000 more for a mass produced unit.

the mileage of the donor vehicle needs to be low enough to release the value though.

if you do a blog updating the progress as you go there may be a funster out there will buy it off you.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
There is a much cheaper option and it’s all explained in this book: -

You can build your own campervan for less than £1000 - that s including the cost of the van! The authors cannibalised an old caravan and then kitted out an X-reg LDV van which they bought for £400.

We bought a copy of the book to help better understand the workings of a motorhome. It was a fascinating read and the campervan looked to be really good quality. It would certainly be an inexpensive experiment and then, if successful, you could sell it on and move on to a later model van.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There is a much cheaper option and it’s all explained in this book: -

You can build your own campervan for less than £1000 - that s including the cost of the van! The authors cannibalised an old caravan and then kitted out an X-reg LDV van which they bought for £400.

We bought a copy of the book to help better understand the workings of a motorhome. It was a fascinating read and the campervan looked to be really good quality. It would certainly be an inexpensive experiment and then, if successful, you could sell it on and move on to a later model van.
NOT looking for the cheapest van around or using second hand parts - (Indeed if I wanted I can get a scabby van for a grand and fit a 500 quid second hand caravan interior )

Thought's are as in OP ing -Need thoughts of others like SBs on pricing etc --done some HW on 2011 PVCs and none are coming near to 22k ish all I have found so far are nearer 30k plus -Again mine may not come in at that price simply because I may end up adding extras- but at the moment thoughts are to fit everything new so they should all come with a manufactures warranty on Heater/fridge/cooker/boiler etc etc, I can GTEE my own work etc so all in it should be a good buy :thumb: Also not looking for a buyer on here but will be posting pics etc as we go along and if someone advises/shows me how to do a blog then so be it
terry

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The biggest problem in selling a nearly new van for £22k is that most (well a lot anyway) will prefer to buy a 'Brand'.

The 'Brand' will always be easier to sell on - and folks look at that even when they are buying..............Terrivans ?
:thumb:

Maybe not - too much like terror vans
:Doh:

Sometimes the best product does not get the best price

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The biggest problem in selling a nearly new van for £22k is that most (well a lot anyway) will prefer to buy a 'Brand'.

The 'Brand' will always be easier to sell on - and folks look at that even when they are buying..............Terrivans ?
:thumb:

Maybe not - too much like terror vans
:Doh:

Sometimes the best product does not get the best price

Like it :thumb: but already got the name HB Autocampers ::bigsmile: made up from our surname initials by mate who stuck the graphics on for me-left van and went to a cafe came back and HB Autocampers was stuck on the sides and back ::bigsmile:
Again not looking to start a business but not ruling it out :winky: more something for me to do with my spare time and if I make a small profit it will help with the bills rather than me having to start working again - more a paying hobby :winky::Smile:If the powers that be start hassling me then it may well become a business venture :Smile: as things stand it's just something to occupy my time rather than fester on the computer ::bigsmile:
edit may well look into what's involved in becoming a small manufacturer who knows maybe some small grants etc about

terry

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Before he died David did a self build on a 2007 xlwb Fiat Ducato....total cost was around £16500 we used it for a year and then sold it for £15500 which at the time was probably a lot for a self build .
However it was a good self build with quality fittings which I'm sure yours will be Terry looking at the pictures of your own van.
Sorry to hear of your loss (DAVID) Just noticed you made a loss of £1000 :Eeek:although you used it for a year :thumb: I don't intend to loose on it :winky::thumb: Option 3 would come into play if that looked likely
terry

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Its a win win either way, if you cant sell it, you keep it.

It keeps you out of mischief and one never knows where it might lead, from little acorns, mighty oaks grow:thumb:

Peter

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you are looking for something to occupy yourself with, have you ever thought of renovating quality older vans. There is definitely a market out there for them as I have found out. You know the models am talking about and if you ever consider taking on a partner let me know :winky:.
I have little interest in making vast amounts of money, but like yourself I enjoy having a project on the go, as long as it does not lose money and pays wages for doing something you enjoy.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Terry the fact that you have done at least one self build to a good standard, you know what the cost and time involved takes.

If you go for a newer van as a base you could struggle getting £22,000, however if you keep it then you have the best of both worlds, and can sell your current one if you dont sell if for the £22,000 mark.

Going for a 2007 model yes you could sell the end project for less, so yes more options in selling, however youre still putting in the same amount of work, so I would go for the 2011, as if you keep it you have many years of a usable van for longer (so to speak).

What ever you decide we wish you well on the project.

Pat

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Pat done 4 so far and another 3 rip outs and start from scratch type thing :Smile:
Dave to do older vans is nice and easy but I always think of selling on which is the hard bit :Smile: I would be doing them with my mate Paul who does all things leccy wise that I have no interest in doing --no doubt if I put my mind to it I could eventually do it :thumb: but while I was asking on here what to do he would have it done ::bigsmile:Indeed on my van now he disconnected everything(about 3 hrsLike a rat up a drainpipe )while I pulled out the wires he told me to pull --only wire I thought was under the drivers seat -he said all wires where out but told me to look for thick ones :Smile:told him about under the seat he said none there or if there was it must be dead so cut it and pull it out :thumb:this I did promptly followed by a hiss of air as I have cut the air suspension pipe and wiring ::bigsmile: TOOK HIM A COUPLE OF HOURS TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WENT WHERE WIRING WISE ABOUT 3 WEEKS LATER ::bigsmile:Wiring goes through 3 relays,switch to handbrake and switch on dash to lower suspension all way past my capabilities leccy wise
terry

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Pat done 4 so far and another 3 rip outs and start from scratch type thing :Smile:
Dave to do older vans is nice and easy but I always think of selling on which is the hard bit :Smile: I would be doing them with my mate Paul who does all things leccy wise that I have no interest in doing --no doubt if I put my mind to it I could eventually do it :thumb: but while I was asking on here what to do he would have it done ::bigsmile:Indeed on my van now he disconnected everything(about 3 hrsLike a rat up a drainpipe )while I pulled out the wires he told me to pull --only wire I thought was under the drivers seat -he said all wires where out but told me to look for thick ones :Smile:told him about under the seat he said none there or if there was it must be dead so cut it and pull it out :thumb:this I did promptly followed by a hiss of air as I have cut the air suspension pipe and wiring ::bigsmile: TOOK HIM A COUPLE OF HOURS TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WENT WHERE WIRING WISE ABOUT 3 WEEKS LATER ::bigsmile:Wiring goes through 3 relays,switch to handbrake and switch on dash to lower suspension all way past my capabilities leccy wise
terry

Thats my problem too. Once I have finished getting them to the standard I am satisfied with, I never want to part with them. I had 3 on the road at one time as couldn't bear to part with any of them :Doh:. I have stopped buying projects now for that reason.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Could you build or modify to order? A place near us does that - PVCs. They have a good reputation but aren't cheap of course. They make their own brand and also build on customers' base vehicles. We may use them if we need modifications when we buy our MH.

I'm thinking that members of the sports communities like surfers, kayakers, wind yachters and maybe even ski and snowboard enthusiasts who normally need make modifications to their vehicles to make them "perfect" would be a nice niche market.

Finance may be an issue for your buyer but if you know a financial advisor they may be willing to take referrals from you and arrange loans for your customers. This should not involve you in any extra work or risk as if a customer doesn't have finance in place you don't start their job.

For myself a low mileage vehicle 4 or 5 years old that is immaculate inside and around £30,000 (with room to negotiate) would not be out of the question if it was the spec that I required. Actually just seen one that could fit the bill but am in no hurry to commit.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
He daren't offer it too cheap in case you thought it was a scam Terry!!::bigsmile:

Only joking mate! I bet you've saved some folks over the years!:thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Could you build or modify to order? A place near us does that - PVCs. They have a good reputation but aren't cheap of course. They make their own brand and also build on customers' base vehicles. We may use them if we need modifications when we buy our MH.

I'm thinking that members of the sports communities like surfers, kayakers, wind yachters and maybe even ski and snowboard enthusiasts who normally need make modifications to their vehicles to make them "perfect" would be a nice niche market.

Finance may be an issue for your buyer but if you know a financial advisor they may be willing to take referrals from you and arrange loans for your customers. This should not involve you in any extra work or risk as if a customer doesn't have finance in place you don't start their job.

For myself a low mileage vehicle 4 or 5 years old that is immaculate inside and around £30,000 (with room to negotiate) would not be out of the question if it was the spec that I required. Actually just seen one that could fit the bill but am in no hurry to commit.
That too could be on the cards/worth considering, I know someone who would arrange loans etc and I would get a kickback on it -but at the moment or for the next couple of weeks at least it's a sounding board -hence your thought's - I know I can build them/it well it's the 22k plus for what I consider a self build--I can branch out into a BESPOKE market if I decide to chance my toe in the water on a more professional basis and not just as a hobby/something to do :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
He daren't offer it too cheap in case you thought it was a scam Terry!!::bigsmile:

Only joking mate! I bet you've saved some folks over the years!:thumb:

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile: difference is there would be a van to sell :thumb: but if you fancy sending me a bank transfer for 10k I am sure I could get some pics to send you ::bigsmile:
terry

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Terry do not take this the wrong way I have seen pictures of your work and know it is top class, as good as any converter, but at 22k I think you would have trouble selling a self build unless you had a customer that knew your work and you built it for them to their spec.
Most people would buy a "spit" Swift at 22k but not your van as they think they have a better van from a dealer and warranty/finance.
I would consider what Snowbird said as a van like his would sell at the right price all day long in fact I believe you would have a waiting list before long .Just my opinion after looking at how little RMB are in Germany and how modern they still are today.
If I had the room at home I would seriously be considering deprecation free motorhoming in one.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry do not take this the wrong way I have seen pictures of your work and know it is top class, as good as any converter, but at 22k I think you would have trouble selling a self build unless you had a customer that knew your work and you built it for them to their spec.
Most people would buy a "spit" Swift at 22k but not your van as they think they have a better van from a dealer and warranty/finance.
I would consider what Snowbird said as a van like his would sell at the right price all day long in fact I believe you would have a waiting list before long .Just my opinion after looking at how little RMB are in Germany and how modern they still are today.
If I had the room at home I would seriously be considering deprecation free motorhoming in one.

No problem--that is exactly what I am wanting/feedback ideas/ thoughts :thumb:Ann always kept me in check but now she is not here to do that, so rather than me get carried away I need voices of reasoning :thumb:If I was doing it for me I would have no problem simply because a 22k van would have only cost me 16/7 k -maybe even less plus I would have the money from my own van so maybe only 6k -as things stand I want to take things very easy and make a few bob -- After all 5k between 2 is not a lot but if I go down the business route then I would want the 2 of us to be turning a bit more profit on a van plus turning one around in 3 to 4 weeks ::bigsmile:As things are I have no time limit and will only work on it as and when I want -although I would like to finish one before end of April/early May or the window for selling is disappearing fast
terry

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think you probably need to start at the older / cheaper end of the market and get a name / reputation / reviews on line unless you are doing bespoke work to order.

An older base vehicle with good quality, standard layout conversion sold "off your drive" at £15,000 would probably sell faster than a £20,000 plus newer vehicle.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi terry, been reading this thread with interest.
I lost my wife nearly 4 yrs ago and decided to bury myself in project....a camper van.
the base vehicle was a low milage mwb high roof transit and spent about 2 yrs putting it to together to my spec . everything bought new and a lot of good equipment.. the total cost including the van would approach £30000.:cry:. that includes the early rust prevention work, set of winter wheels ,portable genny etc , frightening really and there is no way I could sell that van and even get my money back. not that that bothers me as the build kept me occupied and busy and it was always the intention to keep it and use it which is what ive been doing..
when I have thought about it I reckon that a good self build needs to be kept at around the £20000 mark to sell easily and suspect that if the price has to be higher to cover the fittings it becomes harder to find a buyer..
anyway that's just my thoughts.. I wish you well with your venture and as long as you enjoy doing it that is half the battle. ::bigsmile:
regards andy

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Hi Terry
I for one would be very interested in a self build van in that price range. I spent £14500 on a self build I've had for 3 years and its been great. As I've recently retired and have grand plans to tour Europe next year the sort of spec you are looking to build would suit me for sure. Good luck & keep me informed! :thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hi terry, been reading this thread with interest.
I lost my wife nearly 4 yrs ago and decided to bury myself in project....a camper van.
the base vehicle was a low milage mwb high roof transit and spent about 2 yrs putting it to together to my spec . everything bought new and a lot of good equipment.. the total cost including the van would approach £30000.:cry:. that includes the early rust prevention work, set of winter wheels ,portable genny etc , frightening really and there is no way I could sell that van and even get my money back. not that that bothers me as the build kept me occupied and busy and it was always the intention to keep it and use it which is what ive been doing..
when I have thought about it I reckon that a good self build needs to be kept at around the £20000 mark to sell easily and suspect that if the price has to be higher to cover the fittings it becomes harder to find a buyer..
anyway that's just my thoughts.. I wish you well with your venture and as long as you enjoy doing it that is half the battle. ::bigsmile:
regards andy

Well done you :thumb::thumb:nice when you have what you want :thumb:
Two yrs :Eeek: I am thinking along the lines of 2 mths working weekends 6/7 hrs and a few hrs at night with mate-also a few hrs a day maybe (mate has got himself a job now:winky:)Once complete I will have a few weeks break/touring then find another to do OR at least that's the plan so far ::bigsmile:ALREADY warned neighbor to expect some noise within reasonable hours ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Terry
I for one would be very interested in a self build van in that price range. I spent £14500 on a self build I've had for 3 years and its been great. As I've recently retired and have grand plans to tour Europe next year the sort of spec you are looking to build would suit me for sure. Good luck & keep me informed! :thumb:
Will do and at Wakey your only 20 mins drive away ::bigsmile:
terry

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Will do and at Wakey your only 20 mins drive away ::bigsmile:
terry
Yes, seriously I would be interested. Whats the Van's history Terry?

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
All of the businesses I know who started off in the mainstream vehicle conversion market, soon found a niche in order to survive. If I were you Terry I would find that niche now. Competing with established house hold names is a tough thing to do but there is bound to be areas of this market that are either not being serviced or run badly!

Snowbird is spot on as far as I'm concerned, look for a USP - vintage/ retro build, disability adapted motorhomes etc.

Of course with a motorhome adapted for disabled use, I don't think VAT is charged (I may well be wrong of course), If I am right then that's 20% off your sell price for a start.

Build a standard van and you're product is going to be compared to the main builders. Make something fairly unique and you will quickly become the main builder.

Whatever you do, good luck:thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yes, seriously I would be interested. Whats the Van's history Terry?

Hope to keep all funsters informed ::bigsmile:
ALL I know at the moment is it's a very tidy stright van with low miles (got to go see it yet)then again low miles could mean anything from 30 to 80k on a just over two yr old van ::bigsmile: Will make the decision in the next couple of weeks be it the Master or a Fiat stable van --some tidy looking 2010 ones with under 80k miles for under 8k around so will look at ALL options before taking a leap :Smile:Been saying I am going to do another for the last 3 yrs but the boss would never let me-
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Terry,
I know your work is good, but I have to agree with others, unless, someone on here is looking to have one built for them to their specifications by yourself? maybe that would/could be worth exploring.

In an open market ebay type add I think you would really struggle to bring in that money. When people are splashing that amount, they are looking at brands and they are looking at warranties and dealers (not all but most).

As said, the rule against this is the race truck or owner wanting what they think is right for them.

I would just do it if you can afford to and see where it takes you, you need something to keep your mind on anyway so would be a good thing IMO

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back