mice attack how do they get in? (1 Viewer)

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have seen a few posts about mice attacks just wondering how they get in is there anything that can be done to stop them.
Thanks
Jim

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Another 'gassing' thread? ::bigsmile:

Seriously though, I've luckily not been affected (yet) but understand that they can squeeze through seemingly impossible gaps.

Wyn

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not sure it's possible to stop them getting in if they want to.

I think it's just a case of trying to make it uninviting for them to come in so no food left in the van ( except tins and jars I suppose) and perhaps a sonic repeller. Not absolutely convinced the repellers worked but we did get mice about 2 years ago and we discovered that our two battery repellers had run out of batteries.We have a plug in 240v one now and the battery ones and none since, but we are still vigilant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
ANY hole big enough to poke a pencil through and mice will get through-plus they will chew rubber etc to make a bigger hole -secret is never leave UN-containered food in the van
Or leave plenty outside for the buggers to eat ::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Rats

Have seen a few posts about mice attacks just wondering how they get in is there anything that can be done to stop them.
Thanks
Jim

Rats got into my Benimar via engine compartment. At some stage a rubber bung had not been put back when wires for alarm threaded through.they came in via dash and got into the heating tubes around the vehicle.
Hundreds of euros to repair, now have a cat and not had same problem since.
Caravanas Cruz, Elche,Spain found huge dead rat under shower base/wardrobe
Four years later still have slight rodent stink in wardrobe .
We do live in the campo and my next neighbour does have stable and two horses !:cry:

Upvote 0

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
get yourself a hungry cat and lock it in .....

helmet on .... incoming from cat lovers:Eeek:

seriously, as previously said, hole the size of a pencil is plenty big enough and they do like chewing, especially if they can smell food.

hope you get them cleared.

Cheers
2dogs

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
believe me....they will get in any way they can.

We used to have a christmas beer/overflow fridge in the house utility room....only used at christmas.

Last time we went to use it there was a large hole in the bottom where the small defrost drainhole used to be.

Dont ask how but a block of cheese had been left in, or placed in by mistake, and the rat (size of turds and teethmarks in cheese confirmed a rat) had decided it wanted it and chewed the hole until big enough to crawl through.

The rat got into the house through the small hole where the oil boiler feed pipe enters under the base cupboards.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just to clarify i have not got mice just looking to prevent the problem
Got a big dog so no cats!
Thanks
Jim

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
most effective mouse deterant is a rat....the mice wont occupy the same place.
Of course, the rat will do even more damage but you cant have it all ways :Doh::roflmto:

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
most effective mouse deterant is a rat....the mice wont occupy the same place.
Of course, the rat will do even more damage but you cant have it all ways :Doh::roflmto:

'There was an old lady who swallowed a fly'..........:Doh:

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I had a mouse trapped in a wheelie bin, the little bugger almost ate the top off the lower half of the wheelie bin before it found a weakness in the hard plastic and chewed its final escape hole !!!!

How to deal with mice - I live amongst hundreds of them:

1. Leave no food or nesting material around your protected site whatsoever - nesting material includes clothes, foam, soft plastics - anything that can be chewed and made into a insulative nest.

2. (outside) cheap way -put outdoor mouse rat posion blocks in covered coffee jars around your property. If you have other annimals about use a rock or stones or a sandbag to secure the jars and ensure there is only a mouse sized hole for them to get in and out to eat it.

3. (inside) dry use grain type mouse poison for medium term eradication, and use mouse traps for short term eradication before too much damage is done!

4. Check and re-bait all traps on a daily and/or regular basis, especially the outdoor ones as they are your outer defence to stop the mice getting in, in the first place. And you will be suprised how quickly that bait gets eaten if there are a lot of mice about. :thumb: If you stick to this hopefully job done :thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
buy mouse bait at a farmers/country store if possible.
The stuff from B&Q is a really watered down version for safety reasons.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks
Jim

Rodents can be a real problem, but they keep tens of thousands in employment.. every cloud etc..

They can get in through the smallest of holes, (as small as a pencil will fit through) ..
For example.. drop vents in cupboards/lockers ,cable/pipe transit holes, heater and fridge vents etc etc ..

Inspect every cupboard, if it has a vent, cover it with the smallest gauge metal screen you can find.. if there are any holes (with or without pipes or cables ) fill with sealant or if a big hole use expanding foam.. preferably fire proof..

They will climb up wheels and get in through spaces in wheel arch boxes... or into the wiring under the bonnet .. so leave no stone unturned .. think as a mouse..

If you suspect a mouse.. lay industrial bait .. as advised by pappajohn..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
Jim had a couple of mouse visitors over xmas, no doubt attracted in by his store of xmas food goodies and the fact he stayed away from his RV for a few days visiting family.

I got some great advice from the forum, simple traps and baits did the trick, but we may try the sonic doodahs as (hopefully) a humane preventative for the future. Lots of folk also mentioned putting dryer sheets around and some sort of nice scented oil, lemon?...can't quite recall but it'll be on an old mousey thread :thumb:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Lots of folk also mentioned putting dryer sheets around and some sort of nice scented oil, lemon?...can't quite recall but it'll be on an old mousey thread :thumb:

Almost any very strong smell will deter them but not eradiate the problem. I'm told they don't like lavender and know that onion* is effective. I did wonder of garlic would work (including on the mice with pointy teeth and capes of course).

*We had a problem with mice in a larder and found that they avoided the shelves where there were onions. I used to put a raw onion every six inches along the shelf and then no more problems.

Upvote 0

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

main thing is dont leave the door open, we leave a diced onion in the fridge [slightly open]
smells nice adn apparently various rodent,d dont like smell / moles mice cats dogs, up 2 now seems 2 work 4 me :cry:

Upvote 0

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
metal scouring pads are very good for blocking holes and vents (still lets air throu)

Upvote 0

Stevewin999

Free Member
Feb 9, 2014
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Mirada RV
Exp
Mice

Saw a posting on you tube that said sheets of Bounce, the thing that goes in your tumble drier, not the scented one but plain deterred mice. Honest lol
Steve::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Sorry but onions and herbs aint gonna work if you get a mouse infestation. They can start to shred your expensive belongings in a few hours, and destroy parts of your van in a matter of days to weeks when they start breeding.

Shredding is just the start, they constantly piss over your soft furnishings as well as the crap and many carry nasy disease prions :Eeek:

Take it from somebody who has lived in the country with mice for the last 8 years, you let them in and they will wreck everything from the wiring on your van to the soft funishings....now does leaving onions around sound like a good idea:Doh: or traps and strong posion :thumb: and you should leave these around on standby especially in the winter and late Autumn onwards when mice start looking for shelter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Peppermint oil is apparently a deterrent.

Our van stinks of it.

As said above you need to eradicate the problem first though and then think about prevention.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I can't comment on Rats and Mice specifically.

But my daughters furry rodent used to go where it damn pleased.

It might have took some time but it got there in the end.

I had hamster droppings all over my house to prove it. :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Mick James

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Brechin
Funster No
MH
Swift royale 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
I live on a farm and have a caravan on the land but no mice have got in......yet. That's in 10 years. I have traps all over and so far have caught over 750......yes, I count them :)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we just had another Squirrel in the RV.

how do i know it was a squirrel......because it left most of its fur/hair attached to the glue mat.

The hinged mat had folded over the little bastard in its struggle and trapped both sides of it but it must have had its front feet free and eventually dragged itself back through the hole it came in through....which was obviously far too small for the A4 sized glue mat.

It aint been back !!!!!

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we halva or have had a mouse in the van we have had all the cobords empty and under the bead cant find the basterd gone take the hating flue off and gas the basterd with o2

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Almost any very strong smell will deter them but not eradiate the problem. I'm told they don't like lavender and know that onion* is effective. I did wonder of garlic would work (including on the mice with pointy teeth and capes of course).

*We had a problem with mice in a larder and found that they avoided the shelves where there were onions. I used to put a raw onion every six inches along the shelf and then no more problems.
one year I stored the entire crop of onions in plastic mushroom trays, 10 of them stacked up. The mice ate the bloody lot same thing with apples wrapped and stored in our loft at home and green tomato's racked in the workshop. I have a sonic repellent in the motorhome connected to the leisure battery so always charged. just thrown away my travelling underwear as the little********** chewed them up to make a nest within a foot of the sonic device. Poison cleared them for now. I am parked on hardstanding not grass. Oh yes and the barstewards have chewed through the overflow pipe on my fuel tank so fuel spilt when I filled the tank, goodness knows what ended up in the fuel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
we halva or have had a mouse in the van we have had all the cobords empty and under the bead cant find the basterd gone take the hating flue off and gas the basterd with o2

Have you tried the ferret as a deterent yet Bill? :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Have you tried the ferret as a deterent yet Bill? :thumb::thumb:
we have had the ferret with us all week but I think the we bugers in the hating duct knasher is getting free run of the van tomorrow her sent should chase it away
:thumb:

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I can't comment on Rats and Mice specifically.

But my daughters furry rodent used to go where it damn pleased.

It might have took some time but it got there in the end.

I had hamster droppings all over my house to prove it. :thumb::thumb:

One of our hamsters managed to climb onto a large tin of paint that was left on the loo floor whilst we were decorating. My daughter shouted from the loo saying "there's something brown in the toilet"!!
It was our pet hamster who had escaped from his cage earlier:Doh: Fortunately his little nose was still above the water and I managed to save him by gently drying him in a warm towel and using the hair dryer at low until he was back to normal:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back