Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
hi what are the members views of the man from aberystwih being find £30.00 for smoking in his own private vehicle while on the way to work !!!!!:Sad::cry:

What a crazy world ! the time for rebelion cant be far away !!!:Angry::thumb:

i am a none smoker and none drinker by choice we should all be free to make our choices !!:thumb::thumb:

for ever young :thumb:

B

bedbug

Deleted User
I fully concur with your comments. Did you know that the MPs are allowed to smoke in the House of Commons Bar. As this building belongs to the people of the country in law makes it a public place. ONE law for tem.One law for rest!!!!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Was he fined for not being in full control of the vehicle? or just for smoking?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Lady Jan do you work for the Sun Newspaper:ROFLMAO:
Spill the beans, thats slang for give us the full story!!!!
You cant be find for smoking in your private vehicle on the way to work------YET.:whatthe:
Geo

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Just seen it on TV.

Council claim his privately owned van was his work place :Doh::RollEyes:

OP
OP
lady jann

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
Lady Jan do you work for the Sun Newspaper:ROFLMAO:
Spill the beans, thats slang for give us the full story!!!!
You cant be find for smoking in your private vehicle on the way to work------YET.:whatthe:
Geo

hi see bbc news wales today , fine has been paid !!!!!!:Smile:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
I know in Scotland Truck Drivers can be fined for smoking in the cab of their vehicles, and many are not happy bunnies.

David

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I too have three vehicles that could be described as private as I'm the only one who drives them BUT they are business vehicles and as such MAY have passengers or other drivers and as such these vehicles can not be smoked in, and must display signs accordingly any private vehicle in the true sense of the word is at the moment exempt
I agree its harsh, In fact smoking is compulsory in my Private vehicles:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
A work vehichle is a public place and the law does not allow smoking in public places.

All of the vehicles owned by the company that I work for whether they be cars vans or HGV'S are places of work and as such are public places.

If this gent uses his van for work it may be that he is a Limited Company or Self Employed.

The vehicle is a public place, its a bit harsh to say the least but cant that be said for a lot of things nowdays.

Jim :)thumb:Its Friday:thumb:)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Smoking in a vehicle should be banned full stop. :Smile:
  1. It seems smokers never use car ashtrays (For good reason, it stinks)
  2. Most smokers just flick buts out of windows as they do not consider buts as litter. I have also caught a more than few carelessly discarded lit ones in the face when on my motorbike:RollEyes:.
  3. When in your vehicle it can be dangerous when that red hot bit drops on to your lap. More dangerous than using the phone.
  4. Using knees or elbows to steer when rolling one up is a excellent skill but a dangerous one.
  5. Parents who smoke in a car with children should be horse-whipped.
The qualifier..

I smoked 40+ cigarettes a day for over 25 years many of them in a vehicle! (but never with kids) Hardly ever used an ashtray, used the open window.

My advice is to quit - its easy. It only took about 500 attempts but the last one, 13 years ago worked (so far):Smile:

Self righteous ex-smoker ::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Depends what websites you are surfing john:ROFLMAO:

W

Wilbury

Deleted User
hi what are the members views of the man from aberystwih being find £30.00 for smoking in his own private vehicle while on the way to work !!!!!:Sad::cry:

i am a none smoker and none drinker by choice we should all be free to make our choices !!:thumb::thumb:

Hi, This is yet another example of "too much law and too little justice".
This is on a very rapid increase. It is all to take away our freedom of choice and exert, ultimatly, total control over us. It is the most important issue since WW2.
Wilbury

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi, This is yet another example of "too much law and too little justice".
This is on a very rapid increase. It is all to take away our freedom of choice and exert, ultimatly, total control over us. It is the most important issue since WW2.
Wilbury

:Cool: It's about time we had a:-

REVOLUTION

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I fully concur with your comments. Did you know that the MPs are allowed to smoke in the House of Commons Bar. As this building belongs to the people of the country in law makes it a public place. ONE law for tem.One law for rest!!!!

And dont forget those who are locked up for breaking the law. Its ok in prisons.

Jim

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
My boss owns his own car, paid for it from his own pocket but because he uses it
for work and is paid to do-so he cannot legaly smoke in-it. :Doh:
It's political correctness gone mad.

regards...nige

OP
OP
lady jann

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
Smoking in a vehicle should be banned full stop. :Smile:
  1. It seems smokers never use car ashtrays (For good reason, it stinks)
  2. Most smokers just flick buts out of windows as they do not consider buts as litter. I have also caught a more than few carelessly discarded lit ones in the face when on my motorbike:RollEyes:.
  3. When in your vehicle it can be dangerous when that red hot bit drops on to your lap. More dangerous than using the phone.
  4. Using knees or elbows to steer when rolling one up is a excellent skill but a dangerous one.
  5. Parents who smoke in a car with children should be horse-whipped.
The qualifier..

I smoked 40+ cigarettes a day for over 25 years many of them in a vehicle! (but never with kids) Hardly ever used an ashtray, used the open window.

My advice is to quit - its easy. It only took about 500 attempts but the last one, 13 years ago worked (so far):Smile:

Self righteous ex-smoker ::bigsmile:
Hi Jim,
do you realize you have smoked at least 365000 cigarets or at least 18,250 packets !! this all equates to smoking the equivelent of one very good motorhome , with an approx value of £45000.00!! just think of the tax take , you could be in for a knight hood !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

best regards lady jann ,:Smile:

forever young :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Jim,
do you realize you have smoked at least 365000 cigarets or at least 18,250 packets !! this all equates to smoking the equivelent of one very good motorhome , with an approx value of £45000.00!! just think of the tax take , you could be in for a knight hood !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

best regards lady jann ,:Smile:

forever young :thumb:

Crikey... Just imagine £45000 going up in smoke.

That thought, in itself, makes a good point for not smoking,

But it is the individual's choice.Until they make the smokers social outcasts, like they seem to be doing.:Doh: It'll be drinkers next.:Eeek: Oh and they've started a tv campaign (Knock-off Nigel) on music downloaders.

The Industry Trust for IP Awareness has llaunched the second phase of its Knock-off Nigel advertising campaign.

The 2008 anti-copyright theft message will move from physical copies to illegal downloading.

The campaign’s core objective - to attach a social stigma to copyright theft by likening it to other types of socially unacceptable behaviour – remains the same.

However, the location of this year’s advert shifts from the previous pub environment to an office setting, to extend its relevance to new audiences and maintain broad appeal.

The advert uses humour to address the serious issue of copyright theft. Knock-off Nigel is berated by singing colleagues for his anti-social workplace behaviour, which includes pinching their food from the company fridge, stealing money from office whip-rounds and downloading knock-off films on his lap-top.

The humorous approach is based on behavioural change campaign insights, which suggest that fostering peer-to-peer engagement with the anti-copyright theft message is the most effective way to achieve public support.

Using the media to make certain groups social outcasts.Brainwashing :Eeek:

BTW I have never smoked , but I do believe that people should have a choice.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

think you'll find its classed as a royal palace and as such is exempt from the laws of the land.:Angry:

it was decided to volentarily ban smoking as a sign of goodwill by the government.

john.

saxon

Free Member
May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
I seriusly considered packing up smoking - health cost etc. But I have reverted back to my childhood - if I'm told I can't then I wanna. Gentle effective persuasion would have worked so much better than this. I don't break laws but id the day ever comes when I can't smoke in home or motorhome then I join the REVOLUTION. It's only a matter of time. ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

the bloke was self employed in his privately owned work vehicle within normal working hours, which makes it his place of work.:Doh:

his defence was he was not working at the time but running an errand for his wife (going for 't' bags):winky:

he paid the fine because it was due to increase from £30 to £50 due to the time span involved so in the eyes of the law he accepted he was guilty........MUG !:Doh:

the day the smoking ban was introduced the police where waiting outside the local builders merchants nicking anyone with a fag in their gob !!!!!!!!:Angry::Angry:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Jim,

Do you think you ought to make a corner in the website with an outdoor shelter for the smokers ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Geo could moderate it:thumb::thumb:

David

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

I am a none smoker and none drinker by choice we should all be free to make our choices !!:thumb::thumb:
I haven't read this article but am hardly surprised given the utter madness this country has been plunged into by the potty pc lot.

I've just spent three blissful weeks enjoying normality outside and away from the shackles of the UK Police State.

Yes, smoking was not allowed indoors anywhere.....BUT every restaurant and bar had plenty of tables and chairs outside and smokers were not treated like social pariahs as they are here in the UK.

On my return i stopped off at Belgium to buy my 'smokes' and a UK Taxi driver was in front of me buying his cigs at the same shop. He told me that he is self employed, the taxi is his own vehicle so he is entirely responsible for its maintenance and running costs....but under UK law he is not allowed to smoke in it, even when he is not working with it as it is licensed as a public transport vehicle.

Dafter still, a guy i know who works as a bricklayer on building sites is not allowed to smoke whilst working, even outside, and has to go 'off site' in his break to have a cigarette because his boss is an anti-smoker.

The UK ban on smoking in public places has been taken to draconian extremes by 'anti's' to make smokers as uncomfotable as possible. Business's have gone down the pan with Pubs closing at the rate of four a day nationwide. The Village where i live used to have three thriving Pubs.......all are now out of business and boarded up.

The day anyone comes and tells me not to smoke in my vehicle.....i will simply hand them the V5 and ask for their bank details so i can start charging all my bills to their account.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
:Cool: It's about time we had a:-

REVOLUTION
I think you will find that Civil War is not that far off. There is a huge amount of unrest in this country and i've felt we've been close to the brink now for sometime. Draconian laws are just a small part pushing people further and further down.

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
I seriusly considered packing up smoking - health cost etc. But I have reverted back to my childhood - if I'm told I can't then I wanna. Gentle effective persuasion would have worked so much better than this. I don't break laws but id the day ever comes when I can't smoke in home or motorhome then I join the REVOLUTION. It's only a matter of time. ::bigsmile:

I'm just the same! Before the 'smoking ban' I probably wouldn't have had as much trouble giving up, but since the ban, its as if my mind is telling me 'hold on, someones telling me I can't do something, therefore I want to do it all the more'!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I seriusly considered packing up smoking - health cost etc. But I have reverted back to my childhood - if I'm told I can't then I wanna. Gentle effective persuasion would have worked so much better than this.
People need look no further back in history than the Prohibition days in America to see what happened then. The bloody vicious battles fought between the Breweries making beer, the Distilleries making spirits, and the politicians dictating to the minions about what they can't have.

Making anything prohibitive simply makes it all the more desirable.

Had people been left to make their own choice, treated like adults and not children by a batty nanny state, then i think there would be more who would have given up. Personally, i went from 20 a day filter cigarettes to smoking rolling tobacco as the price went up 'n up. I now have no idea how many i smoke, but much more than when i was smoking packet filter tipped cigs.

Ironic that this barmy banning business has it's roots firmly set in the USA (land of 'the free'?? :ROFLMAO:) which dictates to the rest of the world about what they can and can't have......with certain 'convenient' exclusions of course!

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
We smoke and drink (but don't tell the quack quite how much). We smoke in the rv and in the car. Our 'local' where we used to live closed down because the landlady wasn't even allowed a smoke in her flat above the pub.

We went to Scotland before the ban came to England, pubs were empty and struggling and the same is happening now in England. OK, smoking is a throughly disgusting habit I admit but what's wrong with banishing us tobacco burning anti-social pariahs to an area with a good extractor fan and taking our money?

The law is a total ass. I'd far rather our friend Mr Brown spent taxes on catching burglars, illegal immingrants, so-called 'joy' riders, muggers of oaps.................

Blood pressure now rising, light up Jan, open a can and chill out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back