LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not sure if I have this right but as I read it --15% Buyer's Premium plus 20% vat ? surly I have that wrong ?
terry

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Not sure if I have this right but as I read it --15% Buyer's Premium plus 20% vat ? surly I have that wrong ?
terry

The way I read it was 15% campers/caravans all other lots 20% so just the 15% on this.
Dave.
Dave.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
terry
Looks that way - and presumably the seller has to pay as well

Now how do I go about starting an auction house :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The way I read it was 15% campers/caravans all other lots 20% so just the 15% on this.
Dave.
Dave.

Yes ,that's right , this place is only 4 miles away and they have sales every week , but it's mostly john Lewis returns, teles, hovers and stuff, but they did have a lot of bargains till everyone jumped on, you just have to remember to add half as much again as what you bid, but some stuff goes for odd pounds, and the mh is still cheap at £6000, and you can't get beat at the end by someone jumping in because nothing is sold till a certain length of time after the last bid.
You can view stuff up till the day before the sale.
For anyone interested in tools there are loads at this one.::bigsmile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Now you know why the founder of BCA David Wickins, died one of Britain's richest men. No such thing as a poor auctioneer in my experience. Wickins described his success to OPM - other people's money.

But you can get bargains at vehicle auctions if you know what you are doing.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Yes ,that's right , this place is only 4 miles away and they have sales every week , but it's mostly john Lewis returns, teles, hovers and stuff, but they did have a lot of bargains till everyone jumped on, you just have to remember to add half as much again as what you bid, but some stuff goes for odd pounds, and the mh is still cheap at £6000, and you can't get beat at the end by someone jumping in because nothing is sold till a certain length of time after the last bid.
You can view stuff up till the day before the sale.
For anyone interested in tools there are loads at this one.::bigsmile:

Remember they do operate the following:

11.4 The Website operates a ‘3 minute rule’ which means that any person who bids on-line within the last 3 minutes of a specific Lot closing time will instigate the automatic extension of the Lot closing time by an additional 3 minutes and so on for any such subsequent bids.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you click on there caravans for auction i read after commision 20% vat to add.:Sad:

As I said , you are quite right but if you allow for things to be half as much again than what you bid you will be about right and if you are vat registered you get that back anyway:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you click on there caravans for auction i read after commision 20% vat to add.:Sad:

As I said , you are quite right but if you allow for things to be half as much again than what you bid you will be about right and if you are vat registered you get that back anyway:thumb:

That's not how I read it..

copy of an ad for a caravan.. note.. the Vat is N .. I take that as No Vat

Description: LOCATION: MARCHINGTON 2004 LUNAR CLUBMAN 530-4 CARAVAN SINGLE AXLE FOUR BERTH, FOUR RING HOB, OVEN AND GRILL, FRIDGE, SINK, GAS HEATER, END BATHROOM/VANITY AREA WITH SWIVEL TOILET, SHOWER AND SINK. STORAGE.
[HI]Vat: N[/HI]
Buyer's Premium: 15% on Campers/Caravans - 20% on ALL other Lots

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My understanding is no VAT is added to auction lots, the auctioneers don't own the property they are selling for a start. They probably add VAT for their service charges but not on the whole lot.

The "VAT - No" just means the item is entered by someone who is not VAT registered so if the buyer is registered they can't claim it back.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My understanding is no VAT is added to auction lots, the auctioneers don't own the property they are selling for a start. They probably add VAT for their service charges but not on the whole lot.

The "VAT - No" just means the item is entered by someone who is not VAT registered so if the buyer is registered they can't claim it back.

There is vat on the whole thing if the seller is vat registered, if it is a private vendor there will only be vat on the commission, if you go to farm sales the stuff the farmer is selling attracts vat but sometimes a private individual will enter something the auctioneer will state no vat, or sometimes it can be the other way round, if the farmer isn't registered but a registered firm enters something.

Mostly in the pye sales the lots have all come big concerns so all attract vat.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I use John Pye auctions quite often, recently bought 2 laptops from them.

Most items are subject to VAT but you have to check the individual lot. There is also a buyers premium of 15% or 20% depending on the lot, this buyers premium is always subject to VAT at 20%.

Regarding the 3 minute rule, if a bid is placed within the final 3 minutes then the auction is extended by 3 minutes to allow any further bids to be placed, if another bid is placed then the auction is extended by a further 3 minutes and so on until 3 minutes have passed without a bid being made, the last bidder then becomes the winning bid.

There can be some really good bargains on the site sometimes.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looking at the other one finishing same time, there must be 100s of printers, where do they all come from, my theory is people have them till the ink runs out then take them back and say there's somthing wrong with them and have another one:Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont forget that motorhomes entered into this type of auction are likely to be repossessed by the finance house so may still be registered on the HPI register. this in effect devalues the van unless you can apply to have the entry removed

many people dont understand the problems with a van not HPI clear so may be upset when they go to sell it on

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Sold at £16,550 plus 15% £2,482.50 total £19,032.50.. Sold as seen...

You forgot the VAT on buyers premium, so thats another £500 on top, plus you have to go there and collect it.

That van unless it had been recitified early on in life could well have a rotten floor and at nearly £20,000 was NOT a bargain even if it was ok

Peter

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You forgot the VAT on buyers premium, so thats another £500 on top, plus you have to go there and collect it.

That van unless it had been recitified early on in life could well have a rotten floor and at nearly £20,000 was NOT a bargain even if it was ok

Peter

At half that not a bargain if it's full of problems. For the amount paid I'd rather go to a reputable dealer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back