Which Pre payment and Sim Card for France (1 Viewer)

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Hi all, ::bigsmile:
Just a couple of questions, regarding pre-loaded payment cards, and which Sim Card to use for my Huawei E586 Mi-Fi Wireless Modem ( That's what it says on the Box !!!) in France.
Having received my "All the Aires France" today, I had a browse through the book, and found that there are 5 different Tokens for use, on Aires, not to mention cash, plus Credit Cards. All very confusing to say the least !!!! Not like Germany, where Cash is King eveywhere !!!!
My questions are, would it be possible to get a pre-loaded card either in the Uk, or France, say for a limit for €200 or so ( just to pay for the facilities, i.e. water, electricity, grey& black water disposal? and what Sim Card should I purchase over there for Internet access on my Wi-Fi Modem? In the Uk I get a "3" Sim card for 90 days of 3 GB Data use, which is more than enough for our use. We will only be in France for about 2 weeks this time, our first trip over there. Many thanks. BillyS ::bigsmile:

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Just a couple of questions, regarding pre-loaded payment cards, and which Sim Card to use for my Huawei E586 Mi-Fi Wireless Modem ( That's what it says on the Box !!!) in France.
Having received my "All the Aires France" today, I had a browse through the book, and found that there are 5 different Tokens for use, on Aires, not to mention cash, plus Credit Cards. All very confusing to say the least !!!! Not like Germany, where Cash is King eveywhere !!!!
My questions are, would it be possible to get a pre-loaded card either in the Uk, or France, say for a limit for €200 or so ( just to pay for the facilities, i.e. water, electricity, grey& black water disposal? and what Sim Card should I purchase over there for Internet access on my Wi-Fi Modem? In the Uk I get a "3" Sim card for 90 days of 3 GB Data use, which is more than enough for our use. We will only be in France for about 2 weeks this time, our first trip over there. Many thanks. BillyS ::bigsmile:

We use a prepaid Caxton card I try to top up when the exchange rate is good. No other charges and a good exchange rate. We usually buy a local sim card for each country.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes Caxton card for us too. All transactions are i Euros so no fees for exchange. Acts as a debit card but in Euros. No charges for cash withdrawl at ATMs Top up online. No probs.

Although aires might be listed as using 5 types of tokens we find that nearly all use one of two main ones so we tend to keep a couple of each in the dash.

Can't help with the SIM card abroad but there is talk of doing away with roaming charges this year, in which case have a look at Ovivo SIM cards for use here (free to use after initial one off payment!) and hopefully will become usable without roaming.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We use Mytravelcash card not the best conversion rate but you get a genuine 1 percent cash back paid into your card every month and no charges at all even if you use it in uk , which some of the others charge for,and we have never had any refusals with it anywhere which some complain of.:thumb:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Billys,
Don't make the mistake I made on our first ever trip to france, stopped at an aire that needed jetons / tokens thought I'll by a couple or three to be precise! they will come in handy at the next couple of aires, WRONG still got the spare 2 jetons after 7 trips ,never found another one that they fit. You Live and Learn !!
:rain:Terry:rain:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi billys ,
Again just thought is your mifi unlocked or still locked to the 3 network?

Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
we always use a post office credit card for fuel etc abround theres no charges imposed for exchange etc just make sure you pay in local currency, other than that we use cash. last time we went for a month and even in germany we found they took credit cards in larger stores etc:Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

We use a SFR sim prepaye (pay as you go) in our mifi :thumb:.....we have had Orange....we found orange coverage not as good... little more expensive.....:Doh:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We use a SFR sim prepaye (pay as you go) in our mifi :thumb:.....we have had Orange....we found orange coverage not as good... little more expensive.....:Doh:

Did you buy it once you got out there or here in the UK? I thought you needed a French address to get a French SIM. What are their data costs like please?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Did you buy it once you got out there or here in the UK? I thought you needed a French address to get a French SIM. What are their data costs like please?

Yes I purchased it while in France we have lived in France for 10 years...I did ask at a sfr shop if BRITS could purchase a sim in France without a French address...the answer was YES...prepaye only (pay as you go)....but NO to monthly tied in contracts...
Call at any SFR shops there is one in Calais CITE EUROPE....and they will do it for you...then after that you can top up online as we do.....the only thing is at the begining you may have to buy a package....meaning a sim + dongle these packages change all the time as do the prices.....the last time I looked you could not buy sim only....plus the dongle and sim will set up your computer then you can take out the sim and put it in the mifi....if you do not have a mifi then sfr do have a package with sim + mifi....
Broken Link Removed
they do have a chat room....and if you ask for replies in English it can be done

a cle....you would call it a key or dongle

http://assistance.sfr.fr/contacter/...d=A_nav_contact_sc&sfrclicid=A_nav_contact_sc

http://assistance.sfr.fr/accueil/contacter/tablette-contact-service-web/fc-2398-81077

Mel

Last edited:
OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Hi billys ,
Again just thought is your mifi unlocked or still locked to the 3 network?

As far as I know, it's unlocked, that 's how I bought it on EBay. I also sent "3" an e-mail, who sent me an unlocking code free of charge. I did put the unlock code in, but have never found out whether it actually is unlocked or not, because the Sim Cards that I have neen bying online are "3" Sim Cards, so I Hope it actually is unlocked, for when I try and use it abroad. BillyS

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
As far as I know, it's unlocked, that 's how I bought it on EBay. I also sent "3" an e-mail, who sent me an unlocking code free of charge. I did put the unlock code in, but have never found out whether it actually is unlocked or not, because the Sim Cards that I have neen bying online are "3" Sim Cards, so I Hope it actually is unlocked, for when I try and use it abroad. BillyS

You could put any (non-3) SIM card in just to try it.

Wyn

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We use Caxton, good exchange rate, no hidden charges and easy to load on line.
Not been into France of late but using a Europa Sim in a TPLink mi fi in Spain when no free site wi fi .

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
we use caxton card never had any trouble with it except it can,t be used at peage terminals.and it can be topped up easily by phone etc.
for sim data we have JOE mobile works brilliantly in france,,,20 euros for 3 gb for 1 month,,topped up by direct debit and the direct debit can be stopped and started when you want.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back