Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
Hello

Has the new Sky footprint started yet? If so what actual noticed effects has this had. Please mention location and comment on before and after differences.

Thanks

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Is it supposed to have been messed about with on the 28th Jan.. ?

If so.... No difference here in Portugal...

To the contrary we are picking up a few more film channels.. :thumb:

B.T.W. "Oyster" dish...

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Having no problems on our Mobilsat system in Portugal ( currently in Lisbon ) 820 channels only 5* and 5USA does not work.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
New Sky Footprint

I think the transfer is imminent going by the statement from SES below.

As part of SES' ongoing fleet renewal programme, we will be transferring all the UK Spot Beam transponders currently operating on ASTRA 1N across to ASTRA 2E.

This move at the 28.2/28.5ºEast orbital location will take place over several weeks beginning early February 2014.

The transfer will have no adverse implications for viewers in the UK and Ireland as the affected channels will continue to operate on the same frequencies and will be broadcast at the same, or slightly improved power levels, across the UK and Ireland.

TV viewers outside the UK and Ireland may see an impact and may not be able to receive channels from ASTRA 2E UK Spot Beam, which has a smaller footprint than ASTRA 1N. The new footprint on SES' replacement fleet has been designed to meet the requirements of UK and Irish broadcasters who target their channels for distribution in the UK and/or Ireland. UK and Irish broadcasters hold broadcasting rights only for the UK and/or Ireland but not for other countries.

Look forward to hearing the results from Spain and Portugal
Cheers :cry:

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I don't think anything has changed yet, still have all the channels here in Javea on a 1 meter dish. :thumb: Bob.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Nothing has changed yet.
2E is still not in location..

well just...this morning it was at about 29 east.

So in the next few days it will be at 28 east.

Then it is a question of waiting for transponders to fire up...

Only then will the actual footprint be known...

And then channels will start to move - maybe in batches like they did from 2d to 1n...

The BBC usually post a blog or put something up on their teletext service mentioning any changes a few days before they happen...so far nothing..

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Press release from SES Astra this morning : ASTRA 2E has now been deployed at its final destination in the orbital arc of 28.2/28.5 degrees East, where it is co-positioned with ASTRA 2A, ASTRA 2F and ASTRA 1N. Over the coming weeks, BSkyB, Channel4, ITV and BBC programming in this arc will be transitioned to the new satellite with its powerful footprint over the British Isles.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
If so.... No difference here in Portugal...

To the contrary we are picking up a few more film channels.. :thumb:

B.T.W. "Oyster" dish...

Unless you are using the Internet, in which case you pick up Nuffing. :ROFLMAO:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Update:

Some changes overnight, with some sky pay channels moving from 2a to 2e.

And with some improvements here in Spain, as the previously tricky to receive 2a north beam channels, coming in nice and clear now they are on the 2e European beam.

No changes to BBC channels....yet....

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Update:

Some changes overnight, with some sky pay channels moving from 2a to 2e.

And with some improvements here in Spain, as the previously tricky to receive 2a north beam channels, coming in nice and clear now they are on the 2e European beam.

No changes to BBC channels....yet....

Any chance on further info as to the nature of these channels?:Smile:

:Cool:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Most of the Sky pay channels on Astra 2A, including SKy Movies, Sky Movies HD, ITV2HD, ITV3HD, ITV4HD, Eurosport HD 1&2, Sky News HD... to name a handful

Does this mean things are looking better than expected?

I was under the impression there would be no signals reaching Spain at all after the changes.

I am hanging fire on purchasing a system until the changes are complete.

Thanks for the update.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is the loss of the BBC channels that pains me. Never watch Sky.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Does this mean things are looking better than expected?
For those channels that were on 2As north beam, yes their reception is no2w way better.
In fact where as before my 1.8m dish lost frequency 11778, that carries the sky guide data, around 5pm, my 80cm dish kept it in.

I was under the impression there would be no signals reaching Spain at all after the changes.

Yes, as a result of internet tv system sellers, there have been many lies, rumours and scaremongering stories banded around, including the total loss of all uk tv from Spain but satellite.
Shame its has always been known many of the Sky pay channels would be still available on their "European" beams...so no total loss at all.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Early indications in Spain, show that along the Costa Valencia, Costa Blanca and further south a 1m dish is no longer the minimum for BBC reception for Astra 2E.

It looks like a minimum of a 125x140.

Reception reports from you, including dish size and location, would be of great benefit to help us map out 2Es uk beam reception.

Those few BBC HD channels (BBC1Scotland HDand BBC1Wales HD) on Astra 2F are fine.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
We are sitting near Alufeira, Portugal using Mobilsat 80cm dish and using VU+ Solo2 box. All BBC channels have gone, ITV channels ITV,1,2,3,4 are little stronger and ITV HD are far better signal wise, all other pay channels are fine ( total of 720 channels). I will check throughout the day, but do not hold much hope of getting BBC to clear.
As we move back to our home in Murcia I will update as and when.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Just been scanning the net and talking to friends and things are not good so far regarding 2E across in Alicante region with 1.2m dishes! :Sad:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Just been scanning the net and talking to friends and things are not good so far regarding 2E across in Alicante region with 1.2m dishes! :Sad:

Just called mate who lives about 18km from Murcia and on his 1.4mtr dish all is well, looks like there will be some very unhappy "chickens" this morning in Spain. As I have stated a few weeks back IPTV will be the way ahead for many Mh'owners and Ex Pats.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Marbella on a 1.2m dish and everything BBC has gone, including Radio.:Sad:

Even BBC World Service has gone.:RollEyes:

I wonder if a bigger dish will be the answer. Only time will tell.

:Cool:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Nerja, Costa Del Sol. 85cm dish, BBC channels gone. Just in time for the World Cup...

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
But not lost in all areas.
My 80cm dish here in Gandia Valencia is working fine at the moment - all BBCs still coming in.
They were not at 7am, but are now.

So not a total loss in all of Spain, but very much the same as the areas that were affected by 2F (and channel Five)

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
But not lost in all areas.
My 80cm dish here in Gandia Valencia is working fine at the moment - all BBCs still coming in.
They were not at 7am, but are now.

So not a total loss in all of Spain, but very much the same as the areas that were affected by 2F (and channel Five)

Are we still of the opinion that if we were getting channel 5 good quality we should/could be Ok with the rest. I'm not in Spain untill two weeks but that was how it was last month...

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Last night BBC channels moved across to the new Sat and over the next 48 hours ITV, CH4 are to follow. Now forgive, but simple mathematics tell me that by Sunday there will be no ITV as well. My friend ( link below ) in Spain has posted this on forums this morning and he will update as and when he has any news. He also believes as I do that unless you have a larger dish than 1.2 you will receive nothing but Sky UK pay channels.

Quote:
Astra 2E, the change over begins.

The following frequencies have migrated from Astra 2A to the new satellite 2E.

11720 H
11758 H
11836 H
11856 V
11914 H
12012 V
12382 H
12460 H

The above frequencies are for UK Sky & appear to be placed on the 2E pan European beam. Many of these were previously weaker in many locations in Spain.

In Costa Blanca South - 11836 H which is part of the Sky movies package, this was very weak and needed a 1.8 / 1.9 metre dish & still not 100% stable. This morning we scanned in these channels on a 1.1 metre dish with good signal strength.

11758 H was also difficult to receive and has the (Sky) HD versions ITV 2, 3 & 4 and also now scanned in on a 1.1 metre dish - previously 1.8 / 1.9 required in CBS.

All of the above is positive news for UK TV for those using a Sky UK package, they are likely to find that all of the problem 2A channels are o.k.

This is not the overall indicator as this is the pan european beam, not the UK 2E spot beam, which is where the UK terrestrial channels will be.

We will report on further changes as they come in.

This from: http://skyinmadrid.com/pages/news.html

BBC GONE, ITV AND C4 NEXT
ITV and Channel Four are still broadcasting from the old satellite Astra 1N. These remaining free to air services are likely to be migrated to the UK spot beam tonight. If you have already lost the BBC, you will also lose all ITV variants and regions, and the Channel Four group.
The channels which are likely to be switched tonight include: ITV ONE (all regions), CITV, ITV 2, ITV2+1, ITV 3, ITV3+1, ITV 4, Channel Four (all regions), Film Four, Film Four+1, E4, More 4.
The loss of BBC, ITV and C4 will affect Freesat and Sky boxes equally. People often ask if subscribing to Sky will bring them back. Sadly, it won't.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks to every poster on this thread...

It is great to be reminded every now and again that if you give up watching TV you avoid so much stress and tension and gain peace and understanding...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back