Buying a 5th Wheel - Legal issues??? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, some friends of ours are seriously considering buying a big American 5th wheel, currently sited at La Manga.

Can anyone give them some advice as to what proof they should receive re ownership etc etc.
They are going to leave it on site.

Ginny

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I had a fifth wheel until recently, and had no paperwork at all!
Some of the newer ones may have something, but as it's a trailer, I don't believe there will be anything in the form of official ownership documents (like a vehicle log book).

There will however be a chassis plate with a VIN number on it, so i would suggest at the very least something in writing from the seller including that VIN/Chassis number, and written out like a private sale receipt.

I think I had 2 plates on mine - one somewhere on the hitch, and another on the body, front lower left hand side facing forwards.

Would also be worth ensuring the site management are made aware of the transfer of ownership and agree to the new owner leaving it on the pitch! (I'm sure they will as they'll be glad of the money! )

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
same as a caravan - a sales receipt

seriously though are they buying the pickup truck as well, it wouldnt do to buy the van and then find out 6-12 month later they have to move it and dont have a truck to do so - as its not a simple case of we will find someone to move it as quite a few 5vers have different methods for connecting the 12v some have 1 13 pin some have 2 and a few have 3 the third is usually a connection to power the fridge/freezer on its own, also has it electro-magnetic or air brakes,

These are just some important things to consider

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
same as a caravan - a sales receipt

seriously though are they buying the pickup truck as well, it wouldnt do to buy the van and then find out 6-12 month later they have to move it and dont have a truck to do so - as its not a simple case of we will find someone to move it as quite a few 5vers have different methods for connecting the 12v some have 1 13 pin some have 2 and a few have 3 the third is usually a connection to power the fridge/freezer on its own, also has it electro-magnetic or air brakes,

These are just some important things to consider

I think they want to leave it on site for the foreseeable future, it is exactly what they want at a good price.

Ginny

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Some valid points given... :thumb:

Also we stayed there and walking around,,,, some of them must have been on site for years...

And if they had to be moved,,,, doubt they would make the gate without falling to pieces.... :Sad:

Not saying the one your friend is looking at is a shed.. but..

Tell them to give it as good a going over as possible,,,,, slides being out for months on end,,,,,, slide seals,,,, perished tyres,,,,, stuck brake shoes.... and check on the Gas Pipes, a lot are just made of ordinary iron, and can and do get very rusty, especially that close to the sea, what with salty air etc..

And see if they can get some sort of contract with the site owners... regarding length of stay etc... not that a contract in Spain means diddly squat.. :Sad:

And tell them never to fall out with the site owners... :RollEyes::Smile:

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Apparently it has only been on site 12 months - site fees due at the end of this month. It was imported from America and he thinks it is only a couple of years old.

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back