Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Just had an invite to a BBQ in Ontario in august ::bigsmile:

1st thought,"that would have been nice" ::bigsmile:

2nd thought-"if we hired a Motorhome and went for 3 mths it would be a memorable trip" :thumb:
I know some Funsters have 'done' Canada, who did you hire from ? There's a few companies but personal recomendations are best ::bigsmile: It would be nice to pick one up in Toronto straight off the plane.

Mike

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Does the CCC carefree service do hire in Canada?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have hired three times in the US , fabulous.
One company we have used is Cruise America have a Canadian operation www.cruisecanada.com
A company here in the UK act as agents and often promote special deals www.cruiseamerica.co.uk
I have a write up of our last trip in 2012 delivering a new RV from Chicago to Las Vegas , four weeks and 3 thousand miles taking in much of Route 66 , pm me if of interest.
I would say give it a go, incredible:thumb:
Could also try www.canadadream.com
Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
www.cruisecanada.com
The above are everywhere you travel in Canada must have hundreds of campers see them right up in northern Alaska as well.
We did Canada last year on our motorbike as part of a 3 month 15000 mile trip and would love to go back and hire a camper and spend a lot more time there. If we do we will hire a truck type camper rather than a B or C class as this will give us the ability to go anywhere. If you're gonna do Canada you want to see the places off the main routes and there are hundreds of them but some of the roads are pretty rough. It was easy enough on a m/bike but not so in a standard B or C hence we'd use a truck camper and most campers you see out here are that type.
If you time it right you could make it to Hyder and see the bears fishing as that's salmon run time. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxxTZ1h-igo"]Hyder Bears, Fish Creek Bridge Wildlife Observation Site in Hyder, Alaska - YouTube[/ame]
Good luck have a great trip :thumb::thumb:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
This sounds great! I'm just bookmarking it and will be back for more info after Portugal :Smile:

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We have done Canada three times each for about a month each.
1. Rockies, BC and Vancouver Island.
2. Toronto, Niagara Falls a,d across the Prairies, again to the Rockies and back to Calgary.
3. Nova Scotia ans NewFoundland.

Each time we used Canadream. http://www.canadream.com
I think their "early bird specials" ended at the end of Jan, but they seem to be keen to get business as the have called me three times this winter touting for a booking. They have never done that before, if you push them a bit and you may get a deal. Phoning them is the best way to get a deal but use the web to know exactly what you want.

Alternatively if you are going long term (3 months) it may be better to find a small local outfit than one of the big (inflexible) firms.

Gordon

OP
OP
MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
2. Toronto, Niagara Falls a,d across the Prairies, again to the Rockies and back to Calgary.

I think their "early bird specials" ended at the end of Jan, but they seem to be keen to get business as the have called me three times this winter touting for a booking. They have never done that before, if you push them a bit and you may get a deal. Phoning them is the best way to get a deal but use the web to know exactly what you want.

[HI]Alternatively if you are going long term (3 months) it may be better to find a small local outfit than one of the big (inflexible) firms.[/HI]

Gordon

Now that's a thought-we could ask our relatives in Ontario to have a look round for us.:thumb:

Mike

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
We've done Western Canada a few times and have hired from Fraserway RV. Always found them to be very good.

Funny thing. We were looking ealier to see where they rent from in the East as we'd like to do coast to coast this summer. They do Toronto and also Halifax, NS.

We always have a truck camper and find them ideal for touring for 2 people.

Gill

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are interested in this as well, when would be the best time to visit?
We don't like the extreme cold so would like to avoid that season.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We've done Western Canada a few times and have hired from Fraserway RV. Always found them to be very good.

Funny thing. We were looking ealier to see where they rent from in the East as we'd like to do coast to coast this summer. They do Toronto and also Halifax, NS.

We always have a truck camper and find them ideal for touring for 2 people.

Gill

If you go to Halifax and tour NS you should mug up on two things.
Acadia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_of_the_Acadians#Nova_Scotia
A visit to Grand Pré on the Evangeline trail was a highlight of our tour.

The Seven Years' War (known in the US as the French and Indian War).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Louisbourg_(1758) should start you off.

Also don't forget Alexander Graham Bell, and the Cabot trial, but I suspect that if you have done the rockies Cape Breton may be a let down.

We spent a month touring NS and NFL, I don't regret anything we did, but I wished we had had more time so we could have visited PEI as well.

Gordon

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
If you go to Halifax and tour NS you should mug up on two things.
Acadia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_of_the_Acadians#Nova_Scotia
A visit to Grand Pré on the Evangeline trail was a highlight of our tour.

The Seven Years' War (known in the US as the French and Indian War).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Louisbourg_(1758) should start you off.

Also don't forget Alexander Graham Bell, and the Cabot trial, but I suspect that if you have done the rockies Cape Breton may be a let down.

We spent a month touring NS and NFL, I don't regret anything we did, but I wished we had had more time so we could have visited PEI as well.

Gordon

Thanks for the info Gordon. I've been reading up and now have the feeling we'll like the East as much as we do the West. Canada is like a second home to us - it feels so right when we're there (hard to explain).

I'm just worried now that we might be trying to do too much. We can't imagine a trip without going West but it's around 3000 miles from Halifax to Alberta. (Where I have cousins). We want to see NS and yes, would love to do PEI and also NFL. I know it's no good rushing these things and we're not sure how long we'll be taking off this summer. In the past we've done 3 months there.

Did you see the polar bears in NFL?

Maybe we should fly from East to West. :RollEyes: or maybe we should just concentrate on the East. Decisions, decisions. :Smile:

Gill

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997

Alternatively if you are going long term (3 months) it may be better to find a small local outfit than one of the big (inflexible) firms.

Gordon

We used this company a couple of years ago from their depot in Delta BC, turned into a bad experience, hardly any intro to the Motorhomes which was not the model we had ordered, we wanted one with a slide out and had specifically ordered this, the van we were given had 150k on it already, the upholstery was sagging and stained, the brakes had major distortion of the discs, so severe vibration, the overdrive gear did not work, had to stop in a dealers in the Okanagan to have a new leisure battery fitted, as our's had not worked from the start, we thought that it was something we were doing wrong, biggest problem was that the adapter for the EHU was missing, so we had to buy one, would not reimburse us as they said it was there when we left.
When we returned the van, we asked to see the manager , all he offered us was 200 dollars refund, less tax!!!, as we spoke to him, we could see the cleaners cleaning the vehicle ready for the next mug, with no attempt to put right the list of faults we had told them about, they did reimburse us for the battery we had bought, as we had kept the old one with us as proof it was faulty, would definitely not use this company again based on our experience, spoiled an expensive holiday for us. :Angry :Angry: :Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back