Car Insurance - I have learned something new! (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, we are about to renew our motor insurance and I have been 'shopping around' trying to get a good deal.

Whilst negotiating with Saga, I mentioned that the car would be in the garage for 5 months a year when we went away in the motorhome. They said, no problem, just suspend the insurance for the time you are out of the country and we will refund 75% of the cost. They also confirmed that they would cover the car for third party fire and theft whilst it was on the drive!

Now I am thinking, can I do the same with the Motorhome? when it is stood for more than a couple of months November - February, will they do the same and refund 75%?

This could save a lot of insurance money!

Ginny

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Hi Ginny, Yes you can. Take out a policy for example from March to October. You pay for the 8 months on the road. Or you can take out a full year policy and suspend it over the winter period and activate it in Spring. You will find you pay only 8 months Insurance.
In Germany, I find it a better system. Your Reg plate shows the months you are permitted to drive. Your tax also shows up on the plate in form of a disc

smartie59

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Peterlee
Funster No
MH
a class old mod
Exp
not long
Teasy 2007, Hi, I am looking to reinsure soon and didn't like what I ended up with last year but felt I had to as I was getting the MH THAT DAY an they also added on after when I told them I had it at a secure storage site and not at the home post code. I felt ripped off.
Rod

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi, we are about to renew our motor insurance and I have been 'shopping around' trying to get a good deal.

Whilst negotiating with Saga, I mentioned that the car would be in the garage for 5 months a year when we went away in the motorhome. They said, no problem, just suspend the insurance for the time you are out of the country and we will refund 75% of the cost. They also confirmed that they would cover the car for third party fire and theft whilst it was on the drive!

Now I am thinking, can I do the same with the Motorhome? when it is stood for more than a couple of months November - February, will they do the same and refund 75%?

This could save a lot of insurance money!

Ginny

:Angry: When I went to MOT and register our Newmar in the UK (the first attempt). The insurance cancelled my insurance after 30 days because I could not supply them with a registration number. The premium was forfit. No money back. £564 for 30 days? RIP OFF. :Angry:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
:Angry: When I went to MOT and register our Newmar in the UK (the first attempt). The insurance cancelled my insurance after 30 days because I could not supply them with a registration number. The premium was forfit. No money back. £564 for 30 days? RIP OFF. :Angry:

I had this same problem but was lucky enough to be able to get the DVLA to move their butts just in time or I would have lost my money.

As far as suspending insurance is concerned I am tied into a 12 month deal and can not suspend it. This on top of limited mileage is a RIP OFF !!!!

Jim :Angry:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
What happens if you suspend your insurance over the winter months and it gets nicked from your drive, you've lost everything.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back