Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
after recently replyiing to a post on barcalona bandits by bobandjane i remembered a incident that happened to us in northern france last year. we were in the hymer driving along a country road that ran alongside a toll section of motorway. when i noticed a car parked up ahead on the grass verge next to a open field gate with its boot lid up [makiing rear reg plate not visable]. i immediately slowed right down just in case it might be a gendarme speed trap ! as we got closer the drivers door opened and a guy stepped into the road waving his arms about for us to stop. my policy is I DONT STOP for anything less than a armed blockade by special forces !! as we went by i looked into my mirror and something caught my eye . curious i drove on about half a mile and turned round. as we were now coming up on the car from the opp direction the scene became a bit clearer . parked up just inside the field behind the hedgerow was a another car with 2 different men standing next to it .i could now see that the original car had bulgarian reg plates on ! i will let you guys decide for youselves wether this could all have a innocent explanation or not, but i can state without any fear of contradition that I WILL NOT STOP !!!!! regards garry

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Also us in France, Driving to St. Malo port eary hours of morning just on out skirts of town on the duel carriageway suddenly a wooden box came flying from behind some hedging hit my drivers door and mirror snapped mirror against door and broke it,started to brake then remembered and hit the gas pedal again drove a couple of miles and pulled into a garage to check damage, mirror glass broke but still in place so taped it with selotape nice scratch down vehicle and small sort of dent in front corner of van where box had hit .

Even in the pull in/rest areas along the major roads you need to be aware, we once stopped t do some insect removal from the screen, (we were going to Belgium to buy baccy) there were a few other cars parked, only in the car with no van, 3 blokes got of 3 parked cars and moved together talking - now call me parnoid or what ever but i was watching while bill did the screen, 2 walked off behind us and the third sort of hung around in front not too close but close enough, i noticed the 2 guys heading back towards us one making for bills side and one for mine, told bill leave it and get in the truck fast. We got in and i locked the doors as i started the vehicle, they had reached the back of it so sorry but it went in reverse and we moved didnt care if i had hit one cos to my mind they were going to be up to no good given the chance.

So its not just Spain but everywhere that you need to be aware of your surroundings and what is happening. These are the only 2 incidents that i have had and i have been going over there since the early 90s

Last edited:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Last summer my brother in law whilst soloing, was overnighting in the wilds on Shetland. All insulation blinds and silver screen etc., were deployed. It would have been impossible to see in from outside.
Around 4.00 am he was awakened by a tentative knocking on the habitation door. He took a look through the side window and saw a young man in his twenties looking round the van. My B -in- Law, opened his window a little to ask what was wanted. Somewhat flustered, the man said that he was late for work at the oil terminal and could he have a lift!
Peter, always the gentleman, said that he would love to help, but as he had not sorted the van out after his late arrival, he could not get it road ready quickly. The man mumbled something and wandered off.:Eeek:
Call me suspicious if you like, but I still think that the van was being cased for a potential break in. The door knock was to see if anybody was inside. Who in their right mind on coming across a parked motor home with blinds drawn at 4.00 am would think that a lift to work would be a reasonable request?:whatthe:

Later the same year at Tarbert, Harris, he was awakened by the van suddenly rocking. Apparently that was youngsters rocking the van to set off the alarms for a laugh.:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi All, While wild camping on national trust land in the middle of the night about 2.30AM, we were woking up by the van gently rocking and a grating noise from the passenger door, now us being in our old A class Pilote ,we wer e in the drop down bed, so not easyu for someone to get in the front door with the bed down. I got out of bed quietly pulled the curtain back and

there's a large cow cratching it's back on our door mirror, phew panic over!!!
:sin: Terry:sin:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
weve been in rally fields before where somebody left a gate open or did so on purpose to let cows and horses in with the vans. a cow scratching its bum against the van may seem funny, but what about the dents or worse for campers in tents (our daughter used a pup tent by our van) where the animals either chew the fabric or trample on them.

on one occasion 3 of us were out at 3am walking a herd of cows out between the vans down near bridport. it got worrying at one point when 6 or 7 cows tried to squeeze between a caravan and a kids tent. i stood myself against the tent and got bumped and nudged as the cows went past. had i not done so a child could easily of got hurt. next morning a few people mentioned the strange noises in the night, but the family with the child in the tent heard nothing it could so easily have been tragic :Eeek:

again at more than one rally we have had ne're do wells sneaking round the vans at night to steal whatever. so its not just on the road you need to be observant and cautious. and not just in foreign lands

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:thumb:lucky you could have been ( gassed) those cows are known for it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi All, While wild camping on national trust land in the middle of the night about 2.30AM, we were woking up by the van gently rocking and a grating noise from the passenger door, now us being in our old A class Pilote ,we wer e in the drop down bed, so not easyu for someone to get in the front door with the bed down. I got out of bed quietly pulled the curtain back and

there's a large cow cratching it's back on our door mirror, phew panic over!!!
:sin: Terry:sin:

:ROFLMAO: That reminds me of our tour of the Hebrides 2 years ago, when we did our very first night of wild camping. We camped for the night on a little pull in off the road on Isle of Vatersay, not long after we had settled down for the night there was this strange noise of something rubbing on the side of the van. It was chucking it down and as black as coal outside, feeling very nervous and not a little scared I carefully opening the blind and could just make out an adult cow and two calves licking the water as it drained down the side of the van. It did make us giggle, more with relief than anything. :RollEyes:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
:ROFLMAO: That reminds me of our tour of the Hebrides 2 years ago, when we did our very first night of wild camping. We camped for the night on a little pull in off the road on Isle of Vatersay, not long after we had settled down for the night there was this strange noise of something rubbing on the side of the van. It was chucking it down and as black as coal outside, feeling very nervous and not a little scared I carefully opening the blind and could just make out an adult cow and two calves licking the water as it drained down the side of the van. It did make us giggle, more with relief than anything. :RollEyes:
the latest eastern european car wash scam then :ROFLMAO:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I think I posted this before but we disturbed someone trying to lift our bikes off the rack at 4 in the morning, this was the Chester Oaks CC site near Ellsmere Port.

Rgds
Bill

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I am stopping in bed.....BUSBY:Smile:

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
I think I posted this before but we disturbed someone trying to lift our bikes off the rack at 4 in the morning, this was the Chester Oaks CC site near Ellsmere Port.

Rgds
Bill

Shirley you have them locked up ?

I have two bikes in the garage (and they're locked up too) and the two on the back will have a couple of locks on too

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back