Galaxy S3. Not auto connecting to home wifi (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This one has got me stumped..

Since updating the software on my Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3 it (phone) will not auto connect to my home Wifi ..

I've tried all the suggestions on the Android forum.. like rebooting, removing battery and sim and rebooting.
Deleted the home wifi settings and reconnected.. and still, when I go out then come home it doesn't auto connect.. When I reboot the router same issue..

It seems like it's a bug that Google know about .. but does anyone else have this issue and knows of or can suggest a solution ?

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We've got the Galaxy S4 mini and had a similar problem and tried the same things that you did. I went onto the forums as well, loads of others with the same problem, but they're not all in rural areas so in our case it might be down to connection speed.
In the end up I dis-connected the router for half an hour, cleared the cache and started again. Re-connected the router and it was fine.
When I tried to connect manually, keyed in password etc and got a message saying "internet speed too slow". However, we're back up again and going for 5 days..........but sure it won't be long before it's off again:Sad:
Someone else suggested that having too many messages stored on the "1571" could have an effect on our line, but who knows.

Bill

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I suspect the solution involves patience.

Just have to wait until the powers to be issue a "patch" to solve the glitch.

I have been lucky and my upgrade doesn't seem to suffer from this problem...

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Do what I do, buy a phone, if it works dont bother updating, after all if it aint broke dont fix it.

Or just wait till they fix the update with another update::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Is it everywhere in the house Jim or do you have dead spots?

We both have Galaxy S3s and updated to 4.3 a few weeks ago with no problems.

We have a Netgear N600 Dual Gigabit Router with a Range Extender and Booster to ensure all areas of the house are covered as we found a couple of dead spots when we first installed it due to the house layout and position of the router.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is it everywhere in the house Jim or do you have dead spots?

We both have Galaxy S3s and updated to 4.3 a few weeks ago with no problems.

We have a Netgear N600 Dual Gigabit Router with a Range Extender and Booster to ensure all areas of the house are covered as we found a couple of dead spots when we first installed it due to the house layout and position of the router.

only a small bungalow with no dead spots Graham.

the signal is super strong , the phone always detects the router and shows it on the list of available wifi, but doesn't auto connect ..

I may be wrong but as I recall , before the upgrade, you could select a wifi and set it as a favorite or prefered network and it would connect automatically as soon as it was in range..

I don't see that feature now

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm on my second Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, having let the first take a spin in the washing machine not so long ago, but the least said about that the better.

Do you have the Samsung Kies interface software package on your computer? On there is an update/factory reset option, but you should obviously back up all your contacts, personal data etc (using the same software) first before attempting it.

I'm also aware of a line of characters you can type into many Samsung models with their SIM out to execute a complete factory reset but I don't know if it works on the later smartphones. Probably best to try the software option first - it's possible there's been a glitch in the upgrade.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Are you on a BT Broadband line. I ask as I tried to log onto my neighbours broadband recently to show him the figures on my solar output app and when I got back home my Galaxy S3 wouldn't connect to my broadband, it kept trying to connect to BT Fon instead.

Got round it by deleting all the available networks and forcing it to log onto the main broadband one. No problems since.

Mike

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm on my second Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, having let the first take a spin in the washing machine not so long ago, but the least said about that the better.

Do you have the Samsung Kies interface software package on your computer? On there is an update/factory reset option, but you should obviously back up all your contacts, personal data etc (using the same software) first before attempting it.

I'm also aware of a line of characters you can type into many Samsung models with their SIM out to execute a complete factory reset but I don't know if it works on the later smartphones. Probably best to try the software option first - it's possible there's been a glitch in the upgrade.

I'm going to try a factory reset by this method

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Are you on a BT Broadband line. I ask as I tried to log onto my neighbours broadband recently to show him the figures on my solar output app and when I got back home my Galaxy S3 wouldn't connect to my broadband, it kept trying to connect to BT Fon instead.

Got round it by deleting all the available networks and forcing it to log onto the main broadband one. No problems since.

Mike

yes mike.. i am and have done as you suggested previously

back to factory reset.. i may be some time :roflmto:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Jim I had the same problem on an update of iPhone, would not auto connect to work automatically. The solution for that was to delete old auto login and enter all details manually not auto detect. I think you get my gist but if not get back and I will try to explain better. Not saying it is your fix but it worked for me :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
only a small bungalow with no dead spots Graham.

the signal is super strong , the phone always detects the router and shows it on the list of available wifi, but doesn't auto connect ..

I may be wrong but as I recall , before the upgrade, you could select a wifi and set it as a favorite or prefered network and it would connect automatically as soon as it was in range..

I don't see that feature now

I've never set any network as favourite/referred but ones I've connected to are labelled as Saved and the phone (I think) connects to the strongest of the Saved ones.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I returned to factory settings last night, it found the home network and I set the password.. then I shut it down and went to bed..

This morning it re-connected when I started the router.. so that seems to have sorted it.. will test again after it has downloaded my apps.

thanks for the help :Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I returned to factory settings last night, it found the home network and I set the password.. then I shut it down and went to bed..

This morning it re-connected when I started the router.. so that seems to have sorted it.. will test again after it has downloaded my apps.

thanks for the help :Smile:
Bit of a silly question you might say Jim but where did you save your apps too. The reason I ask is that my partners S4 is doing a couple of odd things so I was thinking of doing a reset myself. She has so much crud downloaded it is a wonder it works at all. Glad yours appears to be on the mend.:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Bit of a silly question you might say Jim but where did you save your apps too. The reason I ask is that my partners S4 is doing a couple of odd things so I was thinking of doing a reset myself. She has so much crud downloaded it is a wonder it works at all. Glad yours appears to be on the mend.:thumb:

Hi Buttons

The apps are saved in your Playstore account.. as soon as mine rebooted it asked for my Samsung account email and password .. them my Google account email/password, the apps then started downloading with no further input from me ..

all very painless and straightforward ..

No need for Kies.. I used the instructions form this site
Broken Link Removed

PS

if you use a Google account your contacts , calendar etc all sync when you sign in again.. no need for a back-up to your PC

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Buttons

The apps are saved in your Playstore account.. as soon as mine rebooted it asked for my Samsung account email and password .. them my Google account email/password, the apps then started downloading with no further input from me ..

all very painless and straightforward ..

No need for Kies.. I used the instructions form this site
Broken Link Removed
Thanks Jim I will have a read later, I think she will need to sort through her apps a bit before I start, she's had the phone since Christmas and you would not believe how many live screen savers alone she has downloaded. She has one with witches flying about the screen on brooms that I must admit is very good.:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well.. I have to report that that 'fix' didn't work.. :RollEyes:

We went out shopping and when we came home it did not reconnect automatically.

It shows the home network as No1 on the list of available but requires you to select and reconnect manually.

oh well.. :Doh:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Update..

determined to fix this I looked at Wifi settings and have tried this

Go to

* Settings
* Wifi
* Advanced (from pop up menu)
* Wifi Timer .. Switch 'On'

set to whatever times suits you.. I set mine On at 0700 , Off at 2300.

I powered off the phone.. restarted, it found the home Wifi and connected.

Repeated this 3 times and it connected every time ..:Smile:

here's hoping..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Update

The 'FIX' wasn't successful .. :Sad:

There are plenty of reports of the same problem .. oddly, it doesn't seem to affect all Galaxy S3 with 4.3 android..

After a lot of digging I found this 'fix' .. and so far it is working..

If you don't want to wait for Samsung (or your carrier) to release a fix, you can do the following with the assurance that it will not effect future updates. Here's the steps for the fix.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/smartphones/fix-the-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-wi-fi-connection/

Open up the Galaxy S III phone dialer
Dial *#0011#
When the new screen opens, tap the menu button
Select WiFi
The WiFi Power Save Mode button should be set to ON (Figure B), so tap the ON button to set it to OFF

Just a couple more steps. You'll need to have the Galaxy S III forget all of the wireless networks you connect to. To do this, follow these steps:

Tap the menu button
Tap Settings
Tap Wi-Fi
Long press the wireless network you want to forget
Tap Forget network
As soon as the network is forgotten, if it's within range, it will immediately appear. Tap the new wireless connection and connect. The issue should now be permanently fixed.

A couple words of warning: This solution will drain your battery faster. Why? Because Wi-Fi isn't going to shut off when the phone goes to sleep. But if you're having this particular problem with wireless, it's a trade off you might have to make until Samsung officially released a fix. You might also find that this setting resets to the default should your phone restart. Yes, this is a bit of a kludge for an issue Samsung should have addressed long ago, but it should get you by until the real fix comes out.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I notice the fix refers to potential updates coming from Samsung or the "carrier". I wonder, could it be that the problem is related to particular CSP software modifications?

I use the Three network and Jill uses Giffgaff buy both of our phones were bought SIM Free from Carphone Warehouse so have no CSP mods.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I notice the fix refers to potential updates coming from Samsung or the "carrier". I wonder, could it be that the problem is related to particular CSP software modifications?

I use the Three network and Jill uses Giffgaff buy both of our phones were bought SIM Free from Carphone Warehouse so have no CSP mods.

yes, I read that Graham.. but .. I bought mine 'SIM free' from Expansys ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back