Help please .. radio and battery use (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I KNOW this is a daft question, but due to circumstances and all the problems I am having with my batteries I need an answer.

As soon as I turn the ignition key, just to first notch .. not turning the engine on .... the radio comes on. I cannot switch it off .. the button doesn't seem to work. When I have not got the ignition key in it appears off ... BUT is it on in the background somewhere and taking power off the batteries?

I desperately need to get away in the motorhome due to problems at home and away, in order to keep sane and would like to get the problems in the van sorted asap. Thanks.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I am not sure why you cannot turn it off but once the key is out and as long as you can't still hear it.

It should be dead and not taking power from the battery.

One question what name and model is the radio?

:thumb::thumb:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Because of interference problems with my radio in an A class I have discoonected the ignition switched live wire and connected a switched live wire feed from the leisure batteries. This way the radio is definitely switched off until you decide to activate it. Also means you can have the radio on when parked without depleting the starter battery.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Is there perhaps another off button on the radio? Ours is a Sony unit that was already in the van when we bought it. I struggled to turn it off at first, because to switch on, you push a button in the volume control, but pushing that again does not switch it off, it selects a different mode. The off switch is a small black push button at the lower right corner of the radio's fascia. It has to be held in until the unit switches off. Not a great design! Perhaps yours has something similar?

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I am not sure why you cannot turn it off but once the key is out and as long as you can't still hear it.

[HI]It should be dead and not taking power from the battery.
[/HI]
One question what name and model is the radio?

:thumb::thumb:
Not true, we've just killed a battery this way.

Last edited:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Our Burstner has an on/off switch on the dashboard just to the left of the steering column. I don't know if this is the same on yours. H

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On our Burstner radio if you press the button once it switches it to mute (same as turning off the key). To turn it off completely you have to keep the button pressed until it says Goodbye. It varies between different radios though.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thank you everybody. Much appreciate your comments. I am not sure of the make of radio ... when I next get to the van in the compound I will have a look. I will also look for all the other knobs that you mention and see if that is the problem.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Some radios actually have 2 supplies.

One is not switchable and is used to keep the memory alive for stored stations etc, the drain is generally small and would take many weeks to flatten batteries

The other powers the radio receiver and audio amplifier when switched on. This is the one that causes the problems if left on.

Hence

It should be dead and not taking power from the battery

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Radio

Just had a Pioneer radio fitted and a separate rocker switch was installed to Turn off live feed to the radio. The experts at Vanbitz told me that it was needed. Just have to remember ti turn it off!

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Perhaps post a photo of your radio a Joy, next time you go to the van. I bet someone will have the answer.

Good idea. I know where the off button is on it .... In the middle of the turn button for channels, but for some reason when I hold it down it won't turn off if the ignition key is in the keyhole. Will take a photo next time I go to the van.... not going much lately because of all the battery and display panel problems....:Smile:

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Joy in the paperwork you got with the van is the instruction manual for the radio.

Sounds obvious but have you checked what that says. With all the messing about you may have inadvertantly programmed in something to make it do what it is doing.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Joy in the paperwork you got with the van is the instruction manual for the radio.

Sounds obvious but have you checked what that says. With all the messing about you may have inadvertantly programmed in something to make it do what it is doing.

Yes. it says hold down the button. As stated above, I have done that and it doesn't work. I havn't programmed anything in as I have never used the radio, although a friend of mine once switched it on a few times.

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
I believe that I switched the radio on and off without problems at the Christmas meet, which is why I think something has happened since then. If it is off when the key is out of the ignition and your vehicle battery is not going flat is it really something to worry about?

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I believe that I switched the radio on and off without problems at the Christmas meet, which is why I think something has happened since then. If it is off when the key is out of the ignition and your vehicle battery is not going flat is it really something to worry about?

Yes, cos I is a woman!!!!! I hate not understanding why something isn't working.... Also it was after the Christmas meet that the van battery went down to 3 volts.... mmmmm.... so it was YOUR fault!!!!!! I would rather it went off when the off button pushed... Never mind. I will sort it eventually.

Thanks all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back