European Tour 2008 - First Blog Entry (1 Viewer)

E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
Hi all,

As some of you may remember I posted on here about our 6 month European Tour coming up. We've now made it to France and have been here almost a week.

I've updated my Blog 1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip, hope it makes interesting reading!

(Mods, is this in the correct section? Sorry if not.)

Hope all is well in England, France is boiling at the moment, sun burnt already. :Doh:

Take Care
James and Mike (and Eric)

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Good luck, look forward to reading your blog when you update. :thumb: Been to many war graves there and never fail to move me. The first one I went to and started reading along and there was one where the soldier came from just a few miles from where I lived in England. Always found moving little stories in the visitors book too.
Eileen

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Guys

I enjoyed reading your blog and also your photos. Please keep us informed of further updates.
Safe traveling
Brisey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
We are now in Madrid, super hot. I have some updates but we´re really struggling to find WiFi anywhere! We can´t even get it in Macdonalds.

We are parked outside Madrid, at the train station in El Escorial which is another perfect location.

Hope all is well in the UK.

theboadacea

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Cool blog, consider yourself bookmarked!

9 days in each country - wow, all your pictures are going to be in motion? :Eeek: When on earth will you get time to relax?

I would probably do half as many countries, with double the time in each and go back each year to do a couple more as you already have the motorhome anyway ::bigsmile:

Keep it up, we'll keep reading ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
Cool blog, consider yourself bookmarked!

9 days in each country - wow, all your pictures are going to be in motion? :Eeek: When on earth will you get time to relax?

I would probably do half as many countries, with double the time in each and go back each year to do a couple more as you already have the motorhome anyway ::bigsmile:

Keep it up, we'll keep reading ::bigsmile:

Thanks for the comments. So far we've been relaxing quite a bit on the coast of Portugal, the weather has been so great to us so far. When we drive we seem to covering good distances, so we can relax a little when we reach our destination.

Here are some more updates, I'm sorry they are all coming at once but I've been struggling to find WiFi, but I have now. I appear to be using this blog just as a space to write my thoughts, so I'm sorry for that, I will try and make it more motorhoming related on my next blog.

Entry 1: 1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: Friday 27th June: Paris, Fouras, Mortagne-Sur-Gironde

Entry 2: 1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: 1st July - Nightmare Day, Mimizan

Entry 3: 1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: 4th July - Biarritz

Entry 4: 1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: Saturday 5th July - Pamplona, San Fermin Festival

Sorry there is so much writing, I don't expect you to read it all... :Blush:

But I hope you enjoy reading what you do read, and as I said I will try and make it more MH related in my next few entries.

James :thumb:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
James
Excellent keep it coming. You could always turn it all into a book at the end. Very entertaining - really felt for you on the sand. Enjoy yourself and take care. I wonder if it was Jim and Jan (Scotjimland) who wyou came across at the aire in Mimizan as its a favourite of his.
Sonja

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
We're really enjoying reading your blog James.Great photos too.We've also saved the names of the two aires you used (Fouras/Mortagne-Sur-Gironde) as they look good ones to use when in the La Rochelle and Royan area :thumb:
We look forward to reading the next instalment :Smile:

Galway

Free Member
Nov 6, 2007
Galway Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
10 years

Thank you for you great report.
Have visited Fouras, Mortagne-sur- Gironde.
Also stayed in Aire in Mimizan.

Hope you kept updating your blog.
What are you using for internet?
Do you use internet cafe?

I thing Fouras is probably one of our favorite places in France. Did you do the nature walk. All the wild birds and otters and allsorts of wild life.

Not to worry that it is not motorhome related.
We love anything about travel.

OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
Here are two more entries, not sure I will have too much to write about over the coming weeks. Will be mostly just sitting on the beach!

New Entry 1: 1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: 9th July - Madrid

New Entry 2: 1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: 13th July - Portugal's West Coast

Hope you enjoy.

James
Excellent keep it coming. You could always turn it all into a book at the end. Very entertaining - really felt for you on the sand. Enjoy yourself and take care. I wonder if it was Jim and Jan (Scotjimland) who wyou came across at the aire in Mimizan as its a favourite of his.
Sonja

Thanks Sonja, glad you're enjoying. Yes it probably was them you mentioned, they were indeed from Scotland! I had no idea they posted on here! Thanks for the comments. :Smile:

We're really enjoying reading your blog James.Great photos too.We've also saved the names of the two aires you used (Fouras/Mortagne-Sur-Gironde) as they look good ones to use when in the La Rochelle and Royan area :thumb:
We look forward to reading the next instalment :Smile:

Thanks A & K, glad you enjoy it. Yes, definately visit both those Aires. They are both well worth visiting. M-S-G is beautiful, but quite small whereas Fouras is much larger so could take a few days to properly explore. Both fantastic Aires though. If you find a pair of brown trousers and a white belt in Mortagne-sur-Gironde, they are mine. :cry:

Hope you kept updating your blog.
What are you using for internet?
Do you use internet cafe?

I thing Fouras is probably one of our favorite places in France. Did you do the nature walk. All the wild birds and otters and allsorts of wild life.

Thanks to you too for the comments, it means a lot that people are enjoying what I'm writing. I have my laptop with me, so I connect whereever I see WiFi advertised - in this case a Campsite in Praia de Luz, the Algarve called Turiscampo. 3 Euros for one day.

We did indeed do the nature walk in Fouras, although we cycled it so we probably missed a lot of the nature! It was a nice way to spend half the day though, and the nice weather helped.

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Once again, good to read.It looks really hot out there. Enjoy!! :Smile:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
James and Mike
Nice to see you are enjoying yourself. I am really envious. Take care and safe driving. I look forward to the next installment.
Sonja

OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
Hello all,

In Barcelona now, all well. Weather has been unbearable these last few days.

Parking the MH has been so easy, especially in Portugal and Spain (the two places we thought we´d struggle!)

Today we are parked up in pretty much the centre of Barcelona without hassle, it´s so easy over here.

We´ve ran out of gas which is a pain, we underestimated how quickly our bottle would empty so now we have to find gas and a foreign regulator - Doh!

No blog update for now, not had much time or inspiration to write recently, but will update it soon enough.

Hope all is well in the lovely UK.
James

OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
Greetings Motorhomers!

We have moved into Eastern Europe, now in Hungary. There are hardly any Motorhomes now, we miss the constant waving!

Lots of wild camping as there are no aires at all. We scraped a wall the other day, cracked the Motorhome a little, a large scratch down the side. :Doh::cry: But other than that Eric is holding out okay.

Here is the latest blog: 1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: From Luzern to Budapest

Hope all is well in the UK

James

OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
Thanks Lad's a great read!
Philip

Thanks Phillip, glad you're enjoying the blogs.

Another one up now 1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: Budapest & Early Romania

In Romania now, in a town called Brasov, goign to Bran Castle tomorrow to hopefully meet dracula.

We haven't seen another Motorhome in a long time, which is a shame, but we're not struggling for parking spots at all which is the main thing.

OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
Another blog up now 1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: 12th October - From Bulgaria to Greece

We're gradually seeing more and more Motorhomes now we're in Greece. We didn't see one for weeks when in Croatia, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria, was very strange.

In a lovely campsite near Agria, 300km from Athens. It's quite quiet here, being out of season, but one or two MH's are around, all from Germany.

Weather warm.

Eric is doing well, very dirty, but doing well. He really needs a clean, we'll get around to it sometime! :Doh:

Hope all is well in the UK

James

OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
Hi all,

If anyone is still keeping track, there is a new blog up.

We find ourselves high up in Italy now, nearing Florence. The past month has gone so quick. Only 2 months to go until we are home for Christmas!

1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: 19th October - Southern Greece and early Italy

Hope you're still enjoying the blogs, we're enjoying the travelling and I really enjoy writing about it.

The new blog is a little outdated but there will be a new one up as soon as I write it!

All the best
James

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Keep them coming James.... I'm enjoying my armchair travels with Eric:winky: Vicarious travels are nonetheless pleasing despite not being there... Thanks:Cool:

I just wonder how many funsters may be thinking of following in Eric's footsteps... or should that be tread marks::bigsmile:

OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
Keep them coming James.... I'm enjoying my armchair travels with Eric:winky: Vicarious travels are nonetheless pleasing despite not being there... Thanks:Cool:

I just wonder how many funsters may be thinking of following in Eric's footsteps... or should that be tread marks::bigsmile:

Hopefully lots! When we have finished I will post a map with our route on it so people can see exactly where we've been. There are only 6 weeks left now - it's gone so quick!

Another blog up 1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: 3rd November - Italy

Hope you enjoy.

Unfortunately the weather has turned now that we are in the Austrian Mountains - it's freezing here! No snow yet though.

Regards,
James

OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
In Vienna now, what a stunning city! Any else been there in their MH? We've spent two nights here so far and will only leave due to time restraints this evening. We wish we could stay longer.

Austrian blog up now, 1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: 15th November - Austria hope you enjoy it.

We're off to Czech Republic in a few days.

Weather good. Getting colder by the day but the sun has come out after a week of grotty weather.

James

Galway

Free Member
Nov 6, 2007
Galway Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
10 years
Hi lads.

Greeting from Ireland.

Just home after 2 months in the west/south of France.

Have not read your Blog since August so will print it out for bedtime reading.

Glad you are safe and enjoying your trip, would love to see your map.

Safe travelling and I'm sure your families will be delighted to see ye home for Christmas.

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Great stuff boys

Did similar tours myself 35 & 25 years ago - although not in such a smart van!

I have spent a very happy couple of hours reading through your fine blog.

So much so that I think I'll get the 'escape podule' off the drive and onto a ferry - not sure I'll cover as many miles as you pair but it beats dreaming.

all the best

Baggins of Torbay

OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
Hi lads.

Greeting from Ireland.

Just home after 2 months in the west/south of France.

Have not read your Blog since August so will print it out for bedtime reading.

Glad you are safe and enjoying your trip, would love to see your map.

Safe travelling and I'm sure your families will be delighted to see ye home for Christmas.

I'm looking forward to seeing it too! ::bigsmile: I haven't made it yet but it'll certainly be interesting to see on one map where we've been. 6 months of travelling means an awful lot of places. It's crazy really. We'll never forget this trip.

I hope you enjoy reading it, I love to think what I'm writing it actually entertaining people and giving them something to read at bedtime! Enjoy, enjoy! :Smile:

Did similar tours myself 35 & 25 years ago - although not in such a smart van!

I have spent a very happy couple of hours reading through your fine blog.

So much so that I think I'll get the 'escape podule' off the drive and onto a ferry - not sure I'll cover as many miles as you pair but it beats dreaming.

all the best

Baggins of Torbay

Thank you for the kind comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it. How far did you go all those years ago? What type of van did you have?

Enjoy your next travels!

I've put on a new blog today... will be one of my last. I may wait until I get home to upload any further ones, we'll see how it goes. Under 3 weeks now until we get home, it's gone so quickly. Can't believe we started off on that Tuesday morning on the 24th June, and now we're where we are!

The blog is quite old now, it's from the Czech Republic and we're now almost through with Germany!

Anyway, I'm babbling, enjoy the blog. hope all is well in the UK.

1 Motorhome, 2 Lads, 1 massive trip: 24th November - The Czech Republic

OP
OP
E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
Hi all,

Sorry for such a long delay.

We got home on 20th December without any major issues what so ever. Was great to see all the family again, and the night we came home was one of the strangest nights I've ever experienced. It felt like nothing had changed, almost as if we have never left. The past 6 months felt like a dream. It was so surreal.

I haven't updated my blog since my last entry in Czech Republic (shame on me, I know) and I still haven't written any updates yet. I'm not sure whether or not to do anything with the blog... some people suggested turning it into a book but I'm not sure how possible or realistic that dream would be. Not sure what kind of market there is for something like this... plus it would need a lot of work doing to it, which I'd be willing to do, if people thought it was worth it.

Thanks to everyone who followed our journey and sent us kind comments - we had an unbelievable time and one which we will never forget. Europe is a beautiful continent and vastly overlooked and underrated, and I personally am glad I was able to share my experiences with you all.

Thanks again and please feel free to contact me if you have any suggestions or questions. :thumb:

James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back