inverter advice (1 Viewer)

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi all , i have a 600w sterling pure sine wave inverter and due to the launderettes here in spain crumpling our clothes up my other half wants to get a small travel iron. i can find a 800w one , will my inverter run it ? i am thinking it might just heat it up and then it wouldnt be drawing the full 800w or am i wrong? failing that does anyone know where i can get a lower wattage travel iron (in uk not spain) , cheers sean

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
An 800W iron will use 800W. The heat it produces is varied by turning the electric on anrd off automatically through its thermostat. I wouldn't have thought your 600W inverter capable of carrying 800W, not long enough to heat your iron in any case.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Sterling inverters are rated for 'continuous power deliver' whereas some cheaper types are rated at 'peak power delivery'. This means that a Sterling inverter can usually deliver up to twice its rated output - BUT only in short bursts - NOT continuously. So pulling an extra 200 watts for, say 15 minutes, would not be a great idea. At least Sterling inverters have overload and overheat cutouts so, if you try it, the unit should switch off to protect itself. :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as Ed says.....it wont power an appliance with a higher wattage than the inverter can produce.

A 600w inverter will probably have a 1200watt 'surge' voltage but that will only be for a very short time, maybe a couple of seconds, then revert to 600watts max output.

For occasional short period use something like Broken Link Removed will suffice.
As the iron is producing heat only it neednt be a pure sinewave inverter.

Bear in mind an 800watt iron running off a 1000watt inverter will draw around 66 amps per hour from your battery so one 110ah battery will last less than one hour when ironing.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Inverters are not ideal for heating as the battery will not cope with the load. And this if you have a large enough inverter which yours is not.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Inverters are not ideal for heating as the battery will not cope with the load. And this if you have a large enough inverter which yours is not.

heat (clothes iron) or motion (motor) makes no difference as far as battery drain is concerned.......800watts is 800watts regardless of the appliànce.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Best solution is only take clothes that don't need ironing. Prior to my second marriage I didn't iron anything for seven years, just dry shirts/trousers on a hanger and they're fine.
SWMBO likes ironing things, but when we're away she has to wait till we have ehu, as though our inverter will run an iron, its a heck of a drain on the batteries for no real purpose.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
or buy a solid iron you heat on the gas ring.. they used to be very popular, my mum had one..

or .. buy a butane heated one.. Broken Link Removed

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsaKcCXPqgk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsaKcCXPqgk[/ame]

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back