2-3 month stay abroad dealing with the GAS (1 Viewer)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We currently run just the two gas bottles which I suppose is the norm but what does one do when your Calor gas or whatever are about to run out.... I believe the best cost effective solution is to carry a full bottle from home and a refillable bottle like the AutoGas ? alloy refillable bottles which I'm given to understand uses different adapter hose connection's for different countries...sorry cant afford the expensive GasCom fitted system...you know the yellow bottles:Doh:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
we use gaslow adapters, we have one for france and one for spain. They do adaptersfor all over europe, then you just need to buy the bottle you need in that particular country and attach the adapter to your hose

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
we use gaslow adapters, we have one for france and one for spain. They do adaptersfor all over europe, then you just need to buy the bottle you need in that particular country and attach the adapter to your hose

sorry I don't understand your post, are your saying that you purchasing an empty bottle from each country you visit and then get it filled with gas utilising the GasLow adapters

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
No. you buy full gas bottles in the country you need it in, and use an adapter, - sorry i am assuming that you will have a bulkhead connection that runs 2 bottles and that is where the regulater is housed, therefore you just require an adapter, if you dot have that you would need proper regulaters for that country and gas.

www.gaslow.co.uk

click on products and look at adaptors and regulators

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We currently run just the two gas bottles which I suppose is the norm but what does one do when your Calor gas or whatever are about to run out.... I believe the best cost effective solution is to carry a full bottle from home and a refillable bottle like the AutoGas ? alloy refillable bottles which I'm given to understand uses different adapter hose connection's for different countries...sorry cant afford the expensive GasCom fitted system...you know the yellow bottles:Doh:

You use refillable bottles and fill them up at petrol stations, pretty much anywhere in Europe. There are a few different filling systems thoughout Europe. Just bring a set of adapters. You only need one bottle, because you can fill it up when it is half full without wasting gas. With Calor, you need two bottles so you can be sure it is empty before replacing it. You might as well leave the Calor at home and save the weight, or just use it as backup if weight isn't a problem.

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Gas abroard

Hi
Do not go wasting money on refillable gasbottles you can refill at any marina. in france use adapter on the uk regulator also spain I also carry 907 bottle which you can exchange anywhere in Europe You can get the gas connector from Bullfinch part no 1301 about £4 Bullfinch - gas.co.uk Thanks Bernie

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
After some research I found that the 21.8 left hand thread as used on 4.5 kg blue Calor fits a french gas bottle available from Intermarche @ €19.90 for 10 kg.

I bought 2 at €1 deposit for each last year.
Took a pigtail to fit them as cheaper and easier to get hold of in the UK.

Attachments

• $T2eC16V,!yEE9s5jFKGVBRodn66MWw~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16V,!yEE9s5jFKGVBRodn66MWw~~60_12.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 33

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
This seems soubd advice to me from GASIT

Having explored the problem of running out of gas abroad I was looking at the GASIT web site and found this........which is a salutary warning for those who consider refilling gas bottle not designed for customer re charging

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=446

Is the unsafe and illegal practice of refilling a everyday exchange only Gas bottle worth being taken to court for?

Buying a fill system off EBay or various webshops that lets you fill with Autogas a Gas bottle from Calor gas, Flogas and other exchange bottle companies that it was never designed to do so is not only illegal and a prosecutionable practice, but its dangerous to you and those around you, so why risk everything to save a few £'s self refilling a exchange bottle illegally, when there are legal and safe refillable bottles like the GAS IT range that are fully covered by UK and EU regulations and can be refilled anywhere legally and most importantly safely. Its a no brainer!

We've all seen the filling adaptors on EBay and some webshops that allow you to refill gas bottles that were never designed to be end user refilled as they were only to be returned and exchange for a new full one, but did you know its actually an illegal practice that people are being prosecuted for here in the UK and its not just by Calor Gas, your also contravening UK Health and Safety Regulations, Weights and Measures Regulations and Consumer Safety legislation. These Regulations impose important legal duties on the site operator to ensure the safety of both their employees and members of the public and even the site owners can be prosecuted and have trading licenses removed. The HSE ( Heath and Safety Executive ) has even stated in writing that “ PLAs should consider issuing a prohibition notice if their inspectors discover a site which allows members of the public to refill gas cylinders”. Which means the forecourts and gas stations are risking prosecution and not only if a accident was to happen.

You also risk having your vehicle or Caravan insurance invalidated if you are found to have self refilled a bottle illegally and then something goes wrong - is the practice worth it?

People assume wrongly that the reason why these companies says don't do it is simply because the Gas companies are losing money when you self refill one of their bottles and that's its sole reason. Well, that's just not true and 100% of the reason is that its a very dangerous practice in many ways and every time you do it you not only risk yourselves but everyone around you during the filling, use and storage of that illegally refilled bottle, but the bottom line is, you have to be aware that whilst these self refilling adaptors are readily available you need to know the refilling practice is illegal and silly especially with the legal and safe alternative approved refillable bottles from GAS IT. All our GAS IT Self refillable gas bottles and tanks are fitted with the latest over fill protection shut off valves, have been designed for self refilling and have the right approval paperwork.

Let me add that by using the name 'Calor Gas bottles', it is a term associated with all exchange type gas bottles like Hover is to vacuum cleaners, but the bottom line is ALL exchange type gas bottles were only ever designed to be refilled by the company who actually still owns them ( you as a user never own a Calor bottle, they loan it to us )

Information on Calor gas and the practice on illegally refilling thier gas bottles - Link Removed

Please note :- To be safe and legal, the bottle needs to be attached to the vehicle they are being used for the heating and cooking with a remote fillpoint. Do not try and get around any system of filling by simply buying a refillable bottle and remote fillpoint and having that fillpoint mounted in your car or van just to fill up the bottle to then remove your bottle when you get home for another use. The pipes and fittings on our bottles are not items that are designed to be connected and disconnected frequently. Also if you carry a gas bottle for filling in your car, you need to comply with many more legal road going regulations for fillpoints, venting and traveling with gas bottles - So if your intention is using our bottles like this, please don't buy them.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm in Wiltshire for the next month. I have a French butane bottle ( empty) and adaptor. If they're of any use to you, you are welcome to have them.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, you say 2-3 month stay abroad and you mention each country, so I take it you will be touring.
With out a doubt a refillable system is the best route, we have had them for 8 years and fill them anywhere, just like filling with diesel they do not have to be empty top up any time. :thumb:
Once your Calor bottle is empty, you will have to carry it around empty, or dump it, and you see a lot of that in Spain, when they get a local one.

If you was to stay in the same country, or sit on a site for months as we do in winter I would say get a local bottle. :Smile:

We have had Gaslow, and then changed to the Gas it bottles and have the aluminium bottles now. :thumb: Bob.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
We have re-fillable gas bottles, one an German lightweight fitted by MTH but now out of business and A Gaslow bottle fitted by our dealer on our latest motorhome.

Initially we had just the one 11 kg refillable cylinder and one Calor propane bottle. We found this good enough for two or three months away. We have various adapters, France, Dutch/German and the new Euro adapter.

We have found getting LPG/GPL easy enough in France and Germany. Have yet to do it in Spain with refillable bottles, although did manage a top up in Portugal once.

We certainly find this a lot easier and not worrying about running out of gas.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi, you say 2-3 month stay abroad and you mention each country, so I take it you will be touring.
With out a doubt a refillable system is the best route, we have had them for 8 years and fill them anywhere, just like filling with diesel they do not have to be empty top up any time. :thumb:
Once your Calor bottle is empty, you will have to carry it around empty, or dump it, and you see a lot of that in Spain, when they get a local one.

If you was to stay in the same country, or sit on a site for months as we do in winter I would say get a local bottle. :Smile:

We have had Gaslow, and then changed to the Gas it bottles and have the aluminium bottles now. :thumb: Bob.

Hi Bob

We had our first trip down to Spain last year for a couple of months but did have some trouble finding LPG (either that or we were just to plain stupid to recognise the pumps!). I was using some previously downloaded POI on the SAT NAV.

Last year we used Camperstop Europe to locate Aires etc, but I notice in 'All the Aires in France' (and one for Spain), they list LPG filling stations. Do you know if these are a reliable source?

Any help apreciated, although we didn't run out last year I found myself having to ration the BBQ's....not good!

Cheers Dave

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Refillable Gas Bottles

Hi, I've gone for one large and one small Gaslow system. The reason being I have a small bottle is that dealer drilled inlet hole in wrong place in brand new van! I also take Camping Gaz bottle with adaptor to use as reserve. Screws into the Gaslow filler inlet

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Bob

We had our first trip down to Spain last year for a couple of months but did have some trouble finding LPG (either that or we were just to plain stupid to recognise the pumps!). I was using some previously downloaded POI on the SAT NAV.

Last year we used Camperstop Europe to locate Aires etc, but I notice in 'All the Aires in France' (and one for Spain), they list LPG filling stations. Do you know if these are a reliable source?

Any help apreciated, although we didn't run out last year I found myself having to ration the BBQ's....not good!

Cheers Dave

Hi David, as long you tour in Spain, you will find somewhere to fill, they are opening a lot more, they now sell autogas at the repsol garage in Javea.:thumb:
Its only a problem when you stay in one place, and you could do a lot of miles to fill up. :Smile: Bob.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi David, as long you tour in Spain, you will find somewhere to fill, they are opening a lot more, they now sell autogas at the repsol garage in Javea.:thumb:
Its only a problem when you stay in one place, and you could do a lot of miles to fill up. :Smile: Bob.

Thanks Bob, the Javea one is good to know as we spent a couple of weeks there last year and hope to again this year. :thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
why splole your holiday worring abut gay just go out and buy the system my take a while to to pay back if ever but then you can just enjoy your holl go on go on go on
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back