Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
First of all I just want to say high to everyone, I have been browsing this forum for months now and thought it was time to say hello, also just want to say what a great bunch of friendly and helpful lot you all are.:Smile: Mrs B and myself are about to embark on a new adventure in the motorhome world. We haven’t got one yet but we will before April. We had a caravan in the late 80’s when the kids were small but only for a few months, I was terrified of towing it to be honest:Sad: but we did really enjoy it when we were parked up etc and all had a great time:Smile:. So we are really looking forward to our new adventure after a long spell.
As the title says “sad day for Mrs B and myself” Our Daughter has finished Uni now, done 4 years and came out with hons etc, so very proud parents as some of you are as well I expect. Anyway she has landed a job up in Bradford!!and we are going to move her into her new flat this weekend, We are in Devon :Eeek: so we have a great journey tomorrow and yea I have seen the forcast!!:help::help:.
Mrs B and myself are dreading it as it means basically she is leaving home for good :cry:, but will be home now and again when she gets the chance ::bigsmile:. so we will be adding to the floods etc with a few tears I reckon . She will do fine as she has a good head on her shoulders.

Builder.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I dread that day happening.

Time for you though to enjoy the van and the rest of your life:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Wish her well from NORTHUMBERLAND.
Between you and me it`s only when the fledglings have flown, that motorhomes
really come into their own. I hope you really do enjoy your new adventures.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Did i miss the sad bit ? :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding. Hope tomorrow goes well, and be careful with the weather being forecast as rubbish (again) :thumb:

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I know it's daunting, we've been there too, as have lots on here. However, it will all work out, I can remember crying the whole way back home after leaving our daughter in our flat in Glasgow for the first time when she was finishing uni:cry:

6 years on and both son and daughter are doing really well, after finishing uni and getting their degrees. Son is married and living near Edinburgh, daughter is living in Glasgow, but commutes to Edinburgh on a daily basis for her job. I still worry about her travelling on a daily basis by train.

But funny thing is now, the tables have turned and our son worries a bit more about us now:roflmto:
At least your daughter has managed to secure a job, although she's further away than you would have like, she will always have you both at the end of the phone and vice versa:thumb:

Enjoy your van when you get it in April.

Margaret:Smile:

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2014
Medway, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Be positive

::bigsmile: Hi, yes they are sad times but we got through two girls going off in similar circumstances by looking at the fact that its their life and they need to experience everything in their own space and own style. Just like we do now their gone!

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
First of all I just want to say high to everyone, I have been browsing this forum for months now and thought it was time to say hello, also just want to say what a great bunch of friendly and helpful lot you all are.:Smile: Mrs B and myself are about to embark on a new adventure in the motorhome world. We haven’t got one yet but we will before April. We had a caravan in the late 80’s when the kids were small but only for a few months, I was terrified of towing it to be honest:Sad: but we did really enjoy it when we were parked up etc and all had a great time:Smile:. So we are really looking forward to our new adventure after a long spell.
As the title says “sad day for Mrs B and myself” Our Daughter has finished Uni now, done 4 years and came out with hons etc, so very proud parents as some of you are as well I expect. Anyway she has landed a job up in Bradford!!and we are going to move her into her new flat this weekend, We are in Devon :Eeek: so we have a great journey tomorrow and yea I have seen the forcast!!:help::help:.
Mrs B and myself are dreading it as it means basically she is leaving home for good :cry:, but will be home now and again when she gets the chance ::bigsmile:. so we will be adding to the floods etc with a few tears I reckon . She will do fine as she has a good head on her shoulders.

Builder.

Don't worry couple of months she'll be on the tap again

You will get used to the peace and quiet in no time

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Mrs B and myself are dreading it as it means basically she is leaving home for good :cry:,
Builder.

I know that feeling, two times over. Both went away to college and never came home again. And it gets worse, now with grandchildren it's an expensive pain in the bum to see them.

But, that's life, you just have to live with it and tomorrow we set off to visit them this weekend.

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Yes it will be weird having moved your daughter out, but you should be so very proud of her.

She is only a telephone call away and I am sure you will see her regularly.

Good luck with your new life - yes you both get to have fun together again - like you did when you were courting perhaps????

Go find the motorhome of you choice and live life to the full xxxxxxxxxx

Upvote 0

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
She will be ok my sister in law has lived in Bradford on her own for 30 years since leaving uni.:thumb:
She teaches at a school there but is looking to retire later this year lucky bu@@er:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
So is the house going up for sale on Monday and dont tell the daughter where you've moved to:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Only joking my daughter is hoping to go to uni next year when she finishes school and although i always joke to her the sooner the better i will miss her, cant tell her that though spoil my big macho image :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

good luck with the move and the motorhome hunting

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Builder147

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Thank you for all your kind comments :Smile:, just finished loading the cars etc, all off to the land of nod soon.
We have loads of q's for the forum and will ask later:winky:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i couldnt wait to get the house to ourselves.........

Dont need to close the bathroom door, never mind lock it, when having a shower

Dont have to fight for the kettle or toaster at breakfast

No more 'pappajohns taxi service'

No more going to the cupboard for my special treat only to find it gone.

No more finding the washing machine full of wet clothes

No more unexpected late night parties after the night clubs close.

No more 'can i borrow twenty quid'

No more hair dye stains in the bathroom basin

Best bit is, one lives in York, one in Newcastle, ones a recluse and the other is married and lives 7 miles away so we rarely get unannounced visits.

Sheer bliss !!!

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Been through it with eldest daughter but she was on a piece of elastic and kept coming back when the money ran out so we decided to buy a flat and stick her in it for minimal rent.:thumb:
Our youngest and her boyfriend are hoping to finalise a flat with the help to buy scheme this weekend so by March we might be on our own.:cry:

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Good luck to you all ...... Scary these times of change.......but independence is good in the long run...... Independence for you that is!

Nearly a year since our son left home, but seeing our new grandson most days now... When we are home! Some nice spots to park your motorhome around here when you get one.:Smile:

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Your daughter is lucky to have 2 parents who love and cherish her, she will be fine in life because she has you both behind her.

Letting go....hardest part of being a parent but the most rewarding because you've done your job well, give yourselves a pat on the back and buy a motorhome magazine for the way home xx

This is one of our daughters currently at sea... Somewhere!

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Bradford! Bradford!

Yes its a long way from Devon and the culture shock you will go through when you get there may shock you but, like everywhere in "The Broad Acres" she will be met with friendliness, kindness and good humour.

After a while, it will seem the most natural thing in the world for her to live there.

We have one daughter in Brunei (Borneo) and a son in New Zealand. Now they're journeys that are mind numbing but have to be done.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our Daughter went to Uni, got her degree in English than went back and got her Masters in Law.
She's sitting next to me on the sofa! I don't think we'll ever [STRIKE]get rid[/STRIKE] help move her into her own home!

Allan

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I think that the best result any parent can hope for is that their children become independent enough not to need them but caring enough to want to see them occasionally... providing they book in sufficiently in advance to find out when you'll be in the country!
::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
remember well the day daughter moved out to travel the country as an assistant /trainee manager. It was a sad day and a few tears were shed we slowly got used to the peace and quiet and the smaller phone bills, The ease we could get into the bathroom - being able to choose which channel you watch on TV and you start to relax -------- when suddenly the phone rings and a voice says Hi Dad I have a week off - clear the decks I am on my way back home. Then the stress starts again :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though love them to bits - I now work with her every day and live next door to them :thumb:

Upvote 0

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
don't forget the positive side to all this.....

More money to spend on a Motorhome,

A Motorhome to travel up and down the country is pure luxury, stop when u want, have a cuppa or even do some lunch, somewhere always to sleep if no room at the inn.

and you do get to see some lovely scenery up in Gods own county! and you'll probably want to go beyond bradbud and see the rest or Yorkshire and beyond!!!

Pure bliss!:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I understand your mixture of pride and sadness. Another milestone passed. Try to hold the tears in until you are in the car and on your way as she will be on her own and you wont. Get the motorhome and then you can visit her as well, whilst the countryside north of Coventry cannot match the West Country the people are so friendly, have just donned my flak jacket! Good luck to all of you.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our daughter now lives 3,000 miles away in New Jersey. But we "see" and speak to her more than we used to when she lived 40 miles away in London. Get some modern technology and you would be surprised how well you can keep in touch.

I would recommend both you and your daughter buy an ipad and use Facetime. It is so much better than Skype. I am not an Apple fan (I use Android and Windows) but my wife bought the ipad specifically for Facetime and it has been great. Every Saturday afternoon at about 4 or 5 in the afternoon we get a call from her and her husband and spend an hour or two just gossiping with them both.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I was brung up in Bradistan. Great place, right on the doorstep of the Yorkshire Dales

Oh, and I really miss the fish 'n' chips and curries :roflmto:

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Gosh I'm sad that I'm losing both of mine at the same time but at least they are only 5 and 15 minutes drive away.:Sad: If they moved further away I'd be :cry: Mind you this morning the eldest broke most of my dinner service emptying the dishwasher so not enough plates for them now. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
My son went off to uni got his degree and has now moved to Liverpool, we see him as often as possible but are reassured that he still has grandparents and aunties up there. My daughter moved out May 2012 into her own flat about 500 yards from where we live but due to losing her job we had to mover her back home! I don't know what's worse now!! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
This is the kind of sorry I am looking forward to! Three girls and still all at home, the even got jobs near-by because they love us so much.:Eeek: That's why I go on my own in the mh, bed loo & shower to myself::bigsmile:
I am sure you will have a great time with you mh and you can go visit her.
Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Builder147

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
all delivered safe and sound

Many thanks again folks for all your kind and some funny comments:Smile: left home 10am fri morn got to bradford 7hrs later:cry: weather was shite as we knew it would be and so was traffic, but hey ho we got to a prem inn had a good meal in there as well then sleep. sat morn delivered Daughter to her flat and all is fine. Went to ikea in leeds got bed,wardrobe bedside table and desk. so had to put that all together:RollEyes: like you do, finished up about 7pm knackered::bigsmile:, so we got a indian for T (nice).
Then the hard bit saying goodbye :cry::cry::cry:. Glad that bits over:Smile: Then back to perm inn for the night.
On the way home we stopped in chelston m/h dealers in somerset and had a browse, we're not wasting time now::bigsmile:. got our eye on a certain m/h, they had one there but not in very good bond:Sad:, so still looking.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
What MH are you looking for you never know someone might know where there is one ready and waiting so you can fast forward to freedom ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back