Germany Tips (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2013
Mold
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi
we are going to Germany this year possible to Blackforest Area or follow the Romantic Route first week in July for 3-4 weeks. Does anyone have any tips asdvice or recomendations that they could give us about such things as Stella Platz or Campsites, towns or areas to visit, weather at this time of year or general advice that might be useful for us.
Timbow :Eeek:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Stella Platz
:

Lovely girl, but not the one you are looking for! The definitive guide to Stellplatz is the Bord Atlas, published by Reise Mobil. It is available in the UK from Vicarious Books, or just google it for other UK suppliers.
http://www.bordatlas.de/index_en.php
On the left hand side of the web page, there is a tab for navigation devices - this will allow you to download a POI file for your SatNav.

Also worth looking at is a site / organisation called Top Platz
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
towns or areas to visit
Timbow :Eeek:

Heidelberg Fussen and Garmish Partenkirchen are all vivid pictures in my mind.

Ooop north the Rhein and the Mosel of course.

The romantische strasse is plain black tarmac. You need to be heavily into old building and finding your way into towns for any romance.

You'll find pictures in my sig.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
EVERY town on the Romantische Straße has a stellplatz.

Broken Link Removed

You'll have few problems finding one!:thumb:

Last edited:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
i would try to avoid july iff possible very busy, we done black forest last year and loved it, look out for the free bus and train travel within bf area available when you pay tourist tax at sites and platz.send me a pm if you would like more info.

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
We went last August We used motorhome guide Camperstop Europe I can't remember the price of the book but it more than paid for itself. We stayed in places for free to 12euros. I personally preferred being alongside the Moselle to the Rhine but both had numerous cheap campsites right on the banks of the river. We drove down to Konstanz which I think was our only mistake as it was packed and I mean packed with tourists, not too surprising given the time of year. Make a point of going through Luxemborg if only for the cheaper fuel.

Hardly any other Brits about.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Germany

One thing we found was that Cash was still the preferred method of payment in many shops and restaurants. Fuel was ok by card. Great place to visit and no tolls!

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Rothenburg o.d.T. is the star of the show closely followed by Dinkesbuhl.
Easy to find camping spots and generally more motorhome friendly than a lot of other parts of Europe.Enjoy:thumb:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
There are some free travel guides to Germany you can order here including a campsites guide.

Hope they help

John

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
There are some free travel guides to Germany you can order here including a campsites guide.

Hope they help

John

what an amazing campsite guide, thanks for that, it is brilliant. I am downloading it as a PDF so I will have it to hand. :thumb:

Last edited:

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
You can get a hard copy of the campsite guide for free. I ordered online Monday evening along with a couple of tourist booklets, arrived today - that's what you call good service.

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
You can get a hard copy of the campsite guide for free. I ordered online Monday evening along with a couple of tourist booklets, arrived today - that's what you call good service.

as soon as I started to download it I noticed I could order up to 4 of the brochures to be sent so have just done that including the map. Cant wait as they look brilliant :thumb:

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years

Hope they help

John

John . Many thanks for that excellent link to very worthwhile touring info . Have ordered the campsite info and 3 others which match our travel interests .:thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If it's the same stuff as I got from the Tourist Board they ask for a donation towards costs in the accompanying letter. We'll all in it together. :RollEyes:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Regarding travelling on the continent. The planning side for a first timer is a bit daunting. My initial thought is to arrive at Calais then push through France/Lux and into Germany relying on Aires and Stelleplatz, before arriving at a pre-booked campsite(not a clue where yet, but thinking the Moselle Valley first, then onto the Black Forest). Then slow the pace down and move every couple of days between pre-booked campsites.

But for example in Germany, during July/Aug as we head south or conduct long moves between areas or back to Calais, would the Stellplatze system be feasible or would I find myself late in the afternoon scrambling around trying to find a spare plot?

Thanks

olewilliam

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie (7 years towing)
A fantastic trip

Luxembourg then follow the Rhine.Take time on the Romantic route. Neuschwanstein is a must (end of Romantic route). Suggest return through the Black Forest and Mossel valley. Fill up again in Luxembourg.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Luxembourg then follow the Rhine.Take time on the Romantic route. Neuschwanstein is a must (end of Romantic route). Suggest return through the Black Forest and Mossel valley. Fill up again in Luxembourg.

Ooh I like that. What about the Stelleplatz in July/Aug….Are they filled to the brim, or is there enough space to go around?

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
I can recommend this campsite - Broken Link Removed

Used to go there as a kid (many, many years ago!) and have revisited before we had kids and after. We are planning to stop there for a few nights on the way to Italy this year. Nice municipal pool next door, which campers get free access to. Lots of nice walking and cycling in the area and if they still do it, they often have English students in the site office, practising their German (not on me!).

Not far from the lovely city of Freiburg either, with the streams running through the streets and a wonderful cathedral.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back