X250 Cab battery change in pictures (1 Viewer)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you have a cab radio that has a secure code have it to hand before you start
If your alarm has special instruction for resetting? either have the instructions or contact the supplier/installer

I encountered no problems and I had a residual voltage feeding back to the cab due to a Sterling BtoB being installed.

Be absolutely sure you have the correct replacement battery! physical size capacity and terminal configuration.

Remove the cab carpet and there is the floor panel with coin turn fixings a 50p piece is good, just half a turn on each
ONE-M.jpg

Now you have the battery box cover, just remove the two nearest 13mm bolts.
The lid hinges up and then pull it away from the hinges towards you.
two-M.jpg

This is what you will find
three-M.jpg

Now remove the battery clamp 13mm nut
four-M.jpg

Now disconnect the Negative clamp, no spanner needed here but best to remove the cable out of the way altogether by removing the 13mm bolt to the chassis also.
five-M.jpg

Now remove the terminal cover at the +ve end
six-M.jpg

Remove these two screws and the red plastic doobree lol
seven-M.jpg

Then slacken the +ve clamp nut 10mm ring spanner and lift the lot clear
eight-M.jpg

nine-M.jpg

Pull out the old battery
ten-M.jpg

Present the new one
eleven-M.jpg

Be sure to remove both transit plugs
twelve-M.jpg

Reverse the whole procedure Amen

EDIT this is a left hand drive vehicle so do not be confused by that.

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
There is no confusion Andy it is in exactly the same position in a right hand drive van and the cables are handed the same.

John

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It did when it left the factory so where did it go?
Broken Link Removed
It quite probably didn't have one, Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen stopped fitting the metal battery cover plate a couple of years ago.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Nice shiny one for £20 plus post
Broken Link Removed

Have you got a squidgy floor :Sad:

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Hi

I see in your last picture your changing your battery to a Varta which one are you using? I'm thinking of changing mine which I have a Ducato 2.3 130 multyjet 2008 and I'm trying to find out if it will support AGM batteries which seems more difficult to get the info spending hours all over the net :cry: :Smile:

After reading this thread Broken Link Removed and http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology.php makes me think maybe I should go down this road with the new technology for changing leisure batteries (which are due for renewal) I have a Sargent PX-300 intelligent battery charger which supports AGM batteries up to 220Ah just don't know if the Ducato alternator does!

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This is the engine battery I bought
Broken Link Removed

As for the alternator, it will have no idea what battery it is charging and it certainly won't give an intelligent charge to your liesure batteries. That is where alternator to battery or battery to battery chargers come in.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
This is the engine battery I bought
Broken Link Removed

As for the alternator, it will have no idea what battery it is charging and it certainly won't give an intelligent charge to your liesure batteries. That is where alternator to battery or battery to battery chargers come in.

Thanks for the link :Smile: I had been thinking of getting one of those Varta Silver. Is it ok to get a larger Ah

I have no idea what your on about with the alternator :winky: when I read A& N site information it was saying that the alternator must not charge the battery over 14.4v which is what I was trying to find out:Smile:

Does it work by: a) alternator to battery then battery to an intelligent charger then to leisure batteries?
b) alternator to battery and leisure batteries bypassing any intelligent charger?

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the battery under the floor in the cab, as described how to change here is the vans engine battery, not the leisure battery. fitting an AGM engine battery is massive overkill. just stick with a standard starter battery to start the engine

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks for the link :Smile: I had been thinking of getting one of those Varta Silver. Is it ok to get a larger Ah

I have no idea what your on about with the alternator :winky: when I read A& N site information it was saying that the alternator must not charge the battery over 14.4v which is what I was trying to find out:Smile:

Does it work by: a) alternator to battery then battery to an intelligent charger then to leisure batteries?
b) alternator to battery and leisure batteries bypassing any intelligent charger?

both the batteries are charged by the engines alternator when the engine is running via a split charge relay. the intelligent charger is run off the mains electric hookup. if you have a battery to battery charger fitted it charges the leisure battery at a much faster rate via the alternator, but this is an after maket extra not found in many vans

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
just wondering if the larger battery (110 as oppose to the original 95) has any effect on the alternator, whether it will take a little longer for the alternator to charge the larger battery when running the engine and if consequently the alternator will not start charging the leisure batteries, anyone noticed any difference?

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
just wondering if the larger battery (110 as oppose to the original 95) has any effect on the alternator, whether it will take a little longer for the alternator to charge the larger battery when running the engine and if consequently the alternator will not start charging the leisure batteries, anyone noticed any difference?

The size is immaterial. You won't be discharging the battery any more so it will take exactly the same length of time to charge up. In practice it will likely charge quicker because you will be discharging the new battery less than the old battery when you start the engine due to the old battery being old and tired.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Well I just followed this guide and fitted a new starter battery tonight even bought the same battery from the same supplier ordered it yesterday and arrived this morning the only thing was it looked like it may have been on the shelf for a while? (I don't know) I suppose I thought it would just look sparkling new ;) I checked the voltage before fitting 12.8v once fitted my vans internal voltage meter (traffic lights system) was showing it to be low so went for a drive to top it up will see how it is tomorrow. Can anyone tell if I should have put some vaseline round the terminals if it's necessary?

Anyway Big Thanks to Andy for the guide to keep me right :)

Steve

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would expect it to look like new
A fully charged battery is 12.6 volts
I didn't use Vaseline
Did it have the transit plugs in place ?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Hi Andy I got it from your eBay link batterymegauk and it did have the transit plugs if place (I thought the terminals looked a little dark?), maybe it's just me! I would have just got the garage to do it in the past but since getting the mh I want to be more hands on :) I checked the voltage before fitting and this morning seems to be at the same level (traffic lights system) its supposed to have a 5 year warranty!

Cheers

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes terminals will be grey that is the natural colour of lead. You should clean them and the inside of the clamps

Deleted User
Thanks Andy for the information. Just needed to know the doobree wasn't something special and could just be removed/replaced.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Changed our battery this afternoon and when I re installed the clamp bracket .. The one that holds the battery down with the 13mm nut it does not hold the battery firmly. I feel sure it did before but now it doesn't..

Only change was I had to remove a V shaped piece of plastic from the bottom of the battery box. I assumed I had to do this because the new battery is way longer than the old one. I put the battery in before removing the V shaped plastic thing and it sat at a funny angle so I popped it out.

Confused now. How hard can it be th changed a battery ? Mmmmm

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Have a look at the pictures again. Is the bracket in right

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Re loose? Battery, I too had to find 10mm packing piece to go between top of battery and clamp. Actually 2 pieces. One each side. Never had them before and new battery same make and type and size as battery removed. Was old battery secured properly, I,ll never know.......

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
@Techno
Interesting that only one terminal has a camlock - I assume that it's OE? The battery box looks like a nice design that could be re-purposed - not the one on the van of course :).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back