Numpty Question re driving in Europe. (1 Viewer)

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
My one and only attempt at driving in Europe was many years ago and it was something of a disaster...how any of us returned without me killing us all off remains a mystery and it was only on a short one day buying trip into France.:Eeek: My OH wants to spend next winter in warmer climes and the only way we can do this because of our dogs is by taking Doris the Motorhome.

So, I don't want to kill or damage us or anyone else for that matter so does anyone know where or even if there is driving instruction for wimpy numptys like me where we can experience driving on the "other side" without leaving the country? I did try google...but not sure what search terms to include. Already seen and read some err......different things by typing in "other side":Doh:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi, the best thing I could recommend is going with another experienced driver, and you follow behind and it WILL come easily. The most confusing thing I had (when I had a bash on my own) was roundabouts - I soon learned though with all the French horn tooting that was going on and yells of 'Sacre-Blurr'.
:roflmto:

Team up with someone.

HIH

Trikeman. :winky:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It's usually built-up areas and - as already mentioned - roundabouts that can be a bit of a challenge to begin with. Once out in the country, or on the autoroute - so long as you keep your eyes open and concentrate - it's all reasonably straightforward after a short while.

But in busy towns it's easy to get harassed by other (impatient) drivers, until you've built up confidence.

Afraid I don't really have any suggestions about where to practice in the UK. But before you embark on going all the way to Spain, why not take a shorter trip to France - perhaps on a cheap Dover-Calais ferry crossing - and spend even a long weekend over the water in order to get some more experience. You could plan to arrive in the early evening, after the rush hour, and just stay somewhere not too far away in the countryside for the first night. And then take it from there.

We're heading for southern Spain at the end of April, but taking a long crossing with Brittany Ferries to Santander to reduce the amount of driving. Hired cars and toured in Spain lots of times, but it will be a first for us with the van.

Good luck in any case. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My one and only attempt at driving in Europe was many years ago and it was something of a disaster...how any of us returned without me killing us all off remains a mystery and it was only on a short one day buying trip into France.:Eeek: My OH wants to spend next winter in warmer climes and the only way we can do this because of our dogs is by taking Doris the Motorhome.
I think you've already put your finger on WHY you had such a problem last time! Going for a quick day trip, no doubt rushing around from one shop to another, then back again is bound to be stressful which will only have added to your nerves.

Remember that a longer holiday is just that a holiday ... no major pressure so it should put you in a different frame of mind completely. Just take it easy and steady, have your passenger help to keep you on the straight and narrow right hand side of the road, the correct way to use junctions etc and don't let others in the camper distract you, don't play loud heavy music, something which you like normally and is calming will help relax you:thumb:.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
best advice i was given regarding driving on the "wrong" side was remember to keep your self on the kerb if you cant see the kerb from the drivers window youve done it wrong

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
My husband was really nervous last year as it was our first trip in a motorhome and our first trip driving abroad. He said that what helped him was me sitting beside him muttering "hug the kerb" regularly and reminding him to keep right. After the first day it got easier and became natural in no time. The advice to arrive after rush hour is good but avoid arriving just before dark. Good luck, you'll be fine in no time :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Before I went for the first time I would go out at night and drive on the wrong side for practice :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

On a more serious note I had a good tip from someone and have used it several times, I wrap a bit of brown parcel tape round the right hand side of the steering wheel just where I would place my hand, this then acts as a visual aid and also when your hand touches it. Some people have done things like stick a post it note on the dash or a wee bot of tape on the right hand mirror.

If you take your time it really is easy and you will find the hardest part will be when you return to the uk as you tend to switch off and still end up on the right hand side :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I have to agree with the others---------arrive after rush hour---before dark----plan on short driving spells, so you are not tired------DO NOT let others intimidate you, ignore them (unless you are going to hit them,----they will avoid hitting you :winky:)
I actually found it easier to drive when plenty of traffic around-----the mistake I made most often was (is) entering a road on wrong side eg. from a gas station onto a two lane road-------this mistake is impossible when other traffic is around----just follow everyone else--------it can be hard changing lanes on a busy road, but just INDICATE check mirrors and if enough room --go--------or creep over until they know you are really going::bigsmile:
Loads of people do it----it can't be sooo bad:ROFLMAO:
Nigel & Pamala

If there is a tram line with big kerbs either side in the middle of a city road---don't drive down it----it is hard to avoid trams or get out--------DON'T ask :Blush::Blush::Blush:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Two golden rules for nervous first timers:-

i) Before you ever turn the engine on plan where you are going for the first hundred yards it will then be odds on you will be on the correct side of the road for your journey

ii) Please put your brain in gear before your motor

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are a few other tricks. NEVER pull up on the left hand side of the road to park, too easy to start off later and stay on that side especially if there are no other cars around to remind you which side to drive on. Be very wary of narrow roads, come round a corner and meet another car and your instinct will be to pull left, not good as the other car, assuming it isn't another Brit will pull the same way.

Most dangerous is driving when tired, I nearly wrote myself off near Dover after an overnight ferry crossing back to the UK at a time when I lived in Germany and driving on the right was natural to me. It was a right angle junction onto a dual carriageway, I took the wrong lane and only the lack of traffic saved me when I started off down the wrong carriageway, except to my befuddled brain it was the right lane.

However, as others have said, drive slowly and hug the curb and all will be fine.

Oh, and look up Priorité à Droite which you will still come across in towns in France. It may explain why the French have toilets without seats.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I note that the last time you drove abroad was a few years ago. As you live in the north east, you can, for only £95, sail with a car from Hull to Zeebrugge, (overnight) then spend the day driving around,then get the ferry back that night, usually in the same cabin.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I always found it easy driving on the wrong side of the road, it just takes a bit more thinking about till it becomes second nature, but it can catch you out at times. I remember in the early 80's going to Brittany camping in a car. I stayed at one site for 3 nights, and for three mornings, I pulled out of the camp, driving on the left and saw the same motorcycle heading towards me on "my " side of the road, before I realised what I had done.
I think we both moved sites the next day!
Anyway, I found THIS Might be worth a try?

Allan

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
If all else fails, when exiting the channel tunnel or disembarking, Park up, get an English speaking taxi driver, then get him to go where you want and let him show you how he negotiates the hazards you are worried about. half an hour or so going round and about should familiarise you or really put the fear of death into you. I jest.

I would go thro dead early in the morning before the enemy get up and about, or restless. By then you will be an expert. I did and even after a lot of Autobahn driving I tackled Warsaw at 0530, there wasn't a by-pass, so didn't want too many witnesses. It was like Aberdeen during a charity collection day ! Sailed thro no problem. Travelled back on a Saturday (like our Sundays also very quiet, well maybe quieter).

Have fun.

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Having driven a 'Left Hooker' for the last 12 years, it becomes second nature after a while, we still own a RH car which isn't a problem from one to another.
But driving a lot on the continent, I must admin it is much easier, but you still feel a bit strange for the first few days. A very wise man told me years ago when we first bought this van... "Its much easier to drive a LH in a country you do know, than a RH drive in a country you don't know"
And I have found over the years he was ! Spot On!
Best Regards Mac

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
take your time dont stress its easy, you are not in a race to get somewhere, as some have said you could use a postit note on the steering wheel centre reminding you to drive on the right.
I find it easy driving over there and infact im more likely to make a mistake over here when i return by driving on the wrong side of the road.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Driving on the right

Everyone has the same worry before taking the plunge, but it really isn't that hard once you do it and the space on the roads in Europe compared to the UK will be a pleasant surprise. Spain's motorways are almost empty in some parts. My own view is that driving your own RH vehicle over here, unless you are well used to driving a leftie, is preferable and much safer than driving a LH one. The last thing you need when on unfamiliar territory is to be worrying how to change gear withe the wrong hand and wondering which stalk operates wipers, indicators, etc.

Relax, drive a little slower, and you will soon wonder why you worried at all.:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Everyone has the same worry before taking the plunge, but it really isn't that hard once you do it and the space on the roads in Europe compared to the UK will be a pleasant surprise. Spain's motorways are almost empty in some parts. My own view is that driving your own RH vehicle over here, unless you are well used to driving a leftie, is preferable and much safer than driving a LH one. The last thing you need when on unfamiliar territory is to be worrying how to change gear withe the wrong hand and wondering which stalk operates wipers, indicators, etc.

Relax, drive a little slower, and you will soon wonder why you worried at all.:thumb:

Much prefer rh drive, just sit in gutter and your fine

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I always found it easy driving on the wrong side of the road, it just takes a bit more thinking about till it becomes second nature, but it can catch you out at times. I remember in the early 80's going to Brittany camping in a car. I stayed at one site for 3 nights, and for three mornings, I pulled out of the camp, driving on the left and saw the same motorcycle heading towards me on "my " side of the road, before I realised what I had done.
I think we both moved sites the next day!
[HI]Anyway, I found THIS Might be worth a try?[/HI]

Allan

In preparation for my first sojourn to the continent with 'Nimue Too' .::bigsmile:riving2::france: I have 3 of them, which will be in prominent view. :Blush: I will be on the right!!! :thumb: I may not see anything else but I will be on the right!!! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
A

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond, its sort of encouraging to know that others have had doubts but overcome them with practical ideas. I will look further into perhaps trekking off for just a day or two in the car. Thanks again :Smile::thanks2:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
First time we came to France, leaving an Aire, tom tom said turn right.....just as I got to the roundabout the bloody thing said left....so I did!!! :whatthe:

There was only one French car approaching the roundabout, he just shook his head in amazement!!!

Never put a foot wrong since!!! :thumb:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
if you are going to use the tunnel, take a saturday evening crossing and take the first exit as you leave the complex in france for [citi europe ] . this will take you to a overnight parking area via a large deserted business area with roundabouts, junctions etc . this will give you chance to get your head round it a bit for real without any pressure .you can then park, up get a good nights kip and set off the next day [SUNDAY] without the stress of being swamped with commuters, local delivery vans etc all trying to be somewhere on a deadline !! regards garry

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Driving over on the continent is reasonably easy , I suggest a good satnav is essential, as it gives you good guidance saves worrying about looking for road signs etc . planning by avoiding major cities / towns helps until you've built up confidence.. Also teaming up with a friend for a holiday & following him/her for first couple of days helps , and then you've someone to discuss any problems at the end of the day & share a drink or 2
:sin: :rain: Terry:sin::rain:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I find the hardest part is remembering to drive on the left when we come back :Eeek:
I like it so much over there that I had no reservations about buying a left hand drive.
I've just got used to it over here now :roflmto:
Probably been said but just don't let anyone rush you and if the traffic is busy it's generally slower anyway so just keep to your lane and if they want to pass they will if they can. It's fine to be nervous it is not a handicap and it will pass.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Towns and rush hours can be a pain.......I find choosing the right pay lane at toll areas daunting...as they never seem to use the same graphics at each payage.
But take it easy.....concentrate....dont have music on and it will be fine.
The motorways especially toll roads are empty and a joy to use.
The one thing thats gets me more than anything else is tailgating.... I always seem to have a prat driving 2 feet away from my rear bumper.

barry:Smile:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Don't get angry or stressed. Easier said than done, but the first time I drove abroad, in the 80s, was with the two kids, under 5. Only time I put a wheel wrong was after I finally snapped and shouted 'no we're not there yet' or similar....

Mind you, I'd spent the first mile or so driving along the hard shoulder in the mistaken belief it was the first lane of a three lane motorway...

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A lot of good advice has already been given but to add one pet irritation of mine, the French direction road signs can be a bit confusing to us and cause tension.
In the UK, a sign indicating that your destination is straight ahead, consists of an arrow pointing upwards. To the French this is illogical, since you are not required to levitate or take-off! Their direction sign for 'straight ahead' is located at the side of the road, at a slight angle, and points either left-ish (if it's on the right hand side) or right-ish (if it's on the left hand side). In our earlier days in France, I often turned right or left when I should have gone straight ahead, resulting in much blasphemy and UKIP-style observations on the illogicality of the French mind and their inability to organise a pi55-up in a brewery.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I recall that the first time I drove 'on the wrong side' I was worried about coming off the ferry and being thrust into the midst of traffic, all whizzing in different directions and not knowing where to go. In fact it wasn't like that. As you emerge from the ferry you are on a road that runs for probably a mile or so. It is a dual carriageway and all the traffic from ferry is travelling in the same direction. There are two lanes so you can take your time and get into the right hand lane whenever it is convenient. Once in the right hand lane keep following the traffic and you're OK. One manouvre that you need to be prepared for is joining a road/motorway from a slip road. The problem being that the drivers view to the left will be restricted by the layout of the vehicle. Get your passenger into the habit of looking left to call out when it's clear.
It really does get easier with practice and, as others have said, I now don't 'feel strange' each time I drive on the right but, oddly enough, do when returning to left hand driving at home!

There are some excellent videos on you tube which I think might have been done by funster 'magicsurfbus' such as this:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECQtxa-EHdQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]leavin ferry at calais (2) - YouTube[/ame]

Wyn

Last edited:

uxb443

Free Member
Jan 29, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
don't understand
Exp
As from tomorrow!
Don't drive tired (This is my No.1 tip. I have driven in Europe and the USA for 44 years and many thousands of miles. If I am tired - mistakes happen)
Don't rush
Plan your journeys
If in doubt; find a safe place to stop
We all make mistakes (mostly in the UK as it happens!)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We use TomTom in Europe and as soon as we start up it tells us to drive on the right - very helpful!

Catherine

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I recall that the first time I drove 'on the wrong side' I was worried about coming off the ferry and being thrust into the midst of traffic, all whizzing in different directions and not knowing where to go.

This is exactly what happens if you fly to Stuttgart and get a hire car. You leave the airport down a ramp which takes you into an underpass at which point you join a 4 lane highway where everyone is going hell for leather. Absolute baptism of fire. Underground, in the dark, fast traffic all driving nose to tail as only the Germans can. Wakes you up though!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back