Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Hi all, after a very delayed start, broken head of femur (OH) lost passport (me). We're ready to embark on our second three months on the continent.spending most of the time, like last year, in Portugal. Last time we went Portsmouth- Santander this time we are going eurotunnel. Ferry booked for the crack of sparrow fart on thursday leaving the East Riding of Yorks the day before so any one know of the best place for an overnight for Le Tunnel so we're ready for the off on thurs. thanks Souix

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
We are leaving on Thursday ( fingers crossed) for an early Friday tunnel ride. We are just going to bite the bullet and pay the £20 to stay on the 24 hour services at junction 11 on the M20. I looked into the other pub stops but the early start sort of made up my mind and it's only 5 minutes to the terminus. :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think the Black Horse farm CC site would be less than £20.

About 15 minutes to the tunnel.

The pub opposite is a bit iffy though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all, after a very delayed start, broken head of femur (OH) lost passport (me). We're ready to embark on our second three months on the continent.spending most of the time, like last year, in Portugal. Last time we went Portsmouth- Santander this time we are going eurotunnel. Ferry booked for the crack of sparrow fart on thursday leaving the East Riding of Yorks the day before so any one know of the best place for an overnight for Le Tunnel so we're ready for the off on thurs. thanks Souix
If you are going by ferry, stop overnight at the Canterbury P & R. We have done several times, and it's only 20 mins from Dover. There is a 24Hr Tesco en route should you need to top up with essentials.

Have a good trip. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock & Rita.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
P.S. If the P & R is full, the manager at the pub next door can be quite flexible, if using the pub. :winky:

Cheers,

J & R.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
parking in Hythe royal military road next to canal and Sainsbury store, 10 min max to tunnel, nice town ,shops, pubs.:thumb:

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
If you are going by ferry, stop overnight at the Canterbury P & R. We have done several times, and it's only 20 mins from Dover. There is a 24Hr Tesco en route should you need to top up with essentials.

Have a good trip. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock & Rita.

Hi Jock & Rita,

We're at Canterbury C &C & are hoping for an early Eurotunnel trip tomorrow. We're booked for 11.20 but hope they'll let us on early-hoping for daylight driving to campsite @ Chartres to avoid headlamp adjustment until we get to Le Parc Verger.

Just wanted to ask whether you used the B2068? Our Motorhome Snooper is recommending that rather than A roads -AA say via Ashford but that's quite a detour.

Roger

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Better to go over late the night before and stop at Le Cite or another French aire. This means no early start,,,much more relaxing. BUSBY.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I've stayed at this place before.
http://www.theblackhorse.uk.com/
Don't confuse it with the black horse farm caravan site, a completely different place.

I would not recommend it to anyone towing a caravan or with an RV as you do have to go down country lanes to get to it.

Food is okay, beer is good. I think it's 10 quid a night if you don't need hook up.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
parking in Hythe royal military road next to canal and Sainsbury store, 10 min max to tunnel, nice town ,shops, pubs.:thumb:

I only live 50 mins from the tunnel so haven't the need to use it, but have seen quite a few MH parked up there,
Though it's on the A259 you shouldn't have a problem sleeping, the EB section is on the north of the canal and the WB section on the south side

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Better to go over late the night before and stop at Le Cite or another French aire. This means no early start,,,much more relaxing. BUSBY.

This would be my favourite as well. (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just wanted to ask whether you used the B2068? Our Motorhome Snooper is recommending that rather than A roads -AA say via Ashford but that's quite a detour.

The B2068 is fine. You won't have any problems at all.

Another vote for Canterbury Park & Ride from me as well. No point in paying site fees when all you're going to do is sleep and go. The pub just outside it isn't too clever though.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
we stayed at the Black Horse mentioned above by Bartyfixedit in September of last year. Literally minutes from the tunnel. Not a bad meal at the pub either.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The Drum Inn Ashford is just off motorway and 10 mins from terminal, pub grub and elec hook up if you want it

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
My prefence is always to catch a Saturday evening train/ferry and overnight at one of the numerous spots on the other side close to the ports.

An early and refreshed start on Sunday morning with a full day of virtually truck-free roads ahead of you.

Defitely the way to go for first timers who need some time adjusting to driving over there and for veteran travellers who just want to gobble the miles.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Probably, too late now but I would get yourself over and stay at cite europe or some other free aire only twenty mins difference and you are ready to go in the morning at your leisure and save your self 10 or twenty quid(y);)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My prefence is always to catch a Saturday evening train/ferry and overnight at one of the numerous spots on the other side close to the ports.

An early and refreshed start on Sunday morning with a full day of virtually truck-free roads ahead of you.

Defitely the way to go for first timers who need some time adjusting to driving over there and for veteran travellers who just want to gobble the miles.
Sorry cross posted there

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock & Rita,

We're at Canterbury C &C & are hoping for an early Eurotunnel trip tomorrow. We're booked for 11.20 but hope they'll let us on early-hoping for daylight driving to campsite @ Chartres to avoid headlamp adjustment until we get to Le Parc Verger.

Roger
Sorry Roger. I've only just seen your post.

We've not used the B2068 ourselves, but NicNic has recommended it above. We usually sail out, so Cantebury P&R is great for us. If going via the Tunnel, Phill D's recommendation of The Drum Inn sounds good to me. (y)

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
The B2068 is fine. You won't have any problems at all.

Another vote for Canterbury Park & Ride from me as well. No point in paying site fees when all you're going to do is sleep and go. The pub just outside it isn't too clever though.

Thanks NickNic,

We chose the Camping Club site since it is within walking distance of Canterbury & a local pub plus it has good facilities. We have been full timing since September 2014. It was great to have laundry & good loos & showers. The walking was beyond me with my healing tib & fib!

Thanks very much for your reassurance about the B2068-I tend to be wary about B roads & don't have complete confidence in the Snooper yet

Roger

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
We've used the Drum Inn before-decent food & beer & basic facilities-not this time for the reasons given.
Thanks,
Roger
PS our pre-trip meal is steak, spicy wedges courtesy of the halogen oven, salad & a nice Australian Cab Sav-can't take that to France can we!

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Canterbury P n R on dover rd. 5hr straight drive from leeds via M11
20 mins in mrning to folkstone for £3.50
Brilliant

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Canterbury P n R on dover rd. 5hr straight drive from leeds via M11
20 mins in mrning to folkstone for £3.50
Brilliant
You obviously got your timing right, as that M25 can be a right pain in the a##e. Better now though apparently, with the new Dartford crossing arrangements. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi Jock, we're using my son's address at TW1 but may return to PE6 campsite if we don't find anything in France. We've got a tunnel account so no problems unless I've got a fine waiting for me somewhere!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
For a cheap overnight stop with a good nights sleep why not try South Road, Hythe – 51.067129,1.087902

10 minutes from the Terminal, alongside a quiet park, a couple of minutes from a very good Fish and Chip shop (and other shops) and to get in the swing of things - it's Free.

Have a good holiday.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
P.S. If the P & R is full, the manager at the pub next door can be quite flexible, if using the pub. :winky:

Cheers,

J & R.
P & R at Canterbury is now a lot bigger and if the Van section is full go further up to the overflow site further to the right of the entrance. They are also open everyday now.
Somebody loves you lot.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
TBH we always overnight at Eurotunnel. Go through the barriers, ensure your hanger (ticket) can be seen from the outside and don't park too close to the building (as a few coaches can decant some noisy kids)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back