LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
When the misses turns on her computer...

It runs through all the usual paraphanalia.... when her home page with all the icons comes up... I think you call it "Wallpaper"....

The picture is of some pretty fishing village in North Spain.... which is mainly Sea, Sky and some boats.... so in the main "Blue"....

After a few seconds the whole page flickers a pink`ish colour,,,,, then back to normal,,,, then pink and so on... back and forth...

Any idea`s as to what is wrong.. ?

Thanks..:thumb:

PS..... it is working,,,,, but is permanently
Pink`y Reddish... :Sad::Angry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think you call it "Wallpaper"....

You've not used enough paste, the wallpaper is flapping.

Or, if it persists after turning off/on sounds like a bad connection, in other words you're stuffed.

Was this the coffee damaged one ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

Or, if it persists after turning off/on sounds like a bad connection, in other words you're stuffed.

One of them, Brian.... :RollEyes:

But since that episode they have both been working OK,,,,, and many hours use... :Smile:

At the moment and for the last 15 mins it all works OK,,,, but the screen and all the writing or what ever she brings up is reddish hue... :Sad:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
How old is it? The computer I mean not your missus.......because we had a similar problem with our last computer before we bought the laptop:Sad:

You might find something on the link below, provided the link works, I seem to have problems with me links sometimes:Doh:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/nonworkingcomponent/ht/tb_monitorcolor.htm

Margaret::bigsmile:

If I remember rightly,,,,, about 2 years old if that..

Tried that link and just get this =

This page can’t be displayed

Thanks anyway..:thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

Think you may be right, Brian...

From the upright position,,,,, when Judy closes the lid, and gets to about quarter closed the screen flickers and goes white... :Sad:

Thanks mate...... looks like yet another new computer.... :RollEyes::Doh::Sad:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
When the misses turns on her computer...

It runs through all the usual paraphanalia.... when her home page with all the icons comes up... I think you call it "Wallpaper"....

The picture is of some pretty fishing village in North Spain.... which is mainly Sea, Sky and some boats.... so in the main "Blue"....

After a few seconds the whole page flickers a pink`ish colour,,,,, then back to normal,,,, then pink and so on... back and forth...

Any idea`s as to what is wrong.. ?

Thanks..:thumb:

PS..... it is working,,,,, but is permanently Pink`y Reddish... :Sad::Angry:

Check the cable to/from the pc/monitor

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Laptop or Desktop?

It does sound like a loose connection on the video signal cable to the screen.

For a desktop the fix is normally to push the cable plugs more firmly into the sockets on the base unit and the screen.

For a laptop the cable runs through the hinges from the electronics under the keyboard to the screen. Unfortunately there aren't any visible connectors to push in and after the problem is that the cable is starting to snap where it gets bent when the screen is opened / closed. (the comment that the screen changes colours as you gradually close it would suggest this is the problem).

If I'm right in the diagnosis, this can be fixed by replacing the cable. It means some disassembling of the laptop, finding the problem cable and searching the internet for a replacement. There are companies you can mail the machine to who will repair it for you.

The website at Broken Link Removed has more information.

I hope this helps.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
If I remember rightly,,,,, about 2 years old if that..

Tried that link and just get this =

This page can’t be displayed

Thanks anyway..:thumb:

Hi Mo, I am sorry about this, don't know why my links sometimes don't work:Doh: will ask my son, he works in IT support etc......

Margaret:Sad:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
It does sound like a loose connection on the video signal cable to the screen.

For a desktop the fix is normally to push the cable plugs more firmly into the sockets on the base unit and the screen.

For a laptop the cable runs through the hinges from the electronics under the keyboard to the screen. Unfortunately there aren't any visible connectors to push in and after the problem is that the cable is starting to snap where it gets bent when the screen is opened / closed. (the comment that the screen changes colours as you gradually close it would suggest this is the problem).

If I'm right in the diagnosis, this can be fixed by replacing the cable. It means some disassembling of the laptop, finding the problem cable and searching the internet for a replacement. There are companies you can mail the machine to who will repair it for you.

The website at Broken Link Removed has more information.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, dna..... I think you have hit the nail on the head... :thumb:

Have to wait till we get back to the UK... :Sad::thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if this is the laptop that got coffee in it then its most likely a dirty ribbon cable connector. these are quite fragile and if you think of the mess if you spill a coffee on a table and leave it, then imagine that brown goo in the connector.

its a simple enough job to fix in a workshop but not in a motorhome diy by the average user. under ÂŁ50 should see it stripped down cleaned and reassembled. only takes an hour or less

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
One of them, Brian.... :RollEyes:

But since that episode they have both been working OK,,,,, and many hours use... :Smile:

It takes time for connectors to rot. If you can pull it apart and unplug/plug all connectors between the main board and the display you may clear it. That is connections under the keyboard and maybe in the screen/lid.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
There are a number of possibilities.

In probability order:

1. It's a problem with the physical screen itself. Easy to check if a PC and separate monitor but more difficult if a laptop. If you can either swap the screen for a known good one, or for a lappie, connect a second external screen.
  2. If they are still pink, its likely to be the graphics driver. Go to the support website for your PC or graphic's card, and download the latest version of the graphics driver.
  3. A problem with the cable if a separate monitor. Again, the first point should prove or disprove this if you swap the cable as well.
  4. Heat ..... Are all the fans running and the airways kept clear? Particularly important with a laptop where the vents can be covered by clothing.

If that doesn't come up with anything, PM me or post back with the exact make and model of laptop or computer and screen and I may be able to advise further.

If you don't know what hardware and software is on the machine, download http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html free, and run it. It will give you a long list you can cut and paste and post here.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
There are a number of possibilities.

In probability order:

1. It's a problem with the physical screen itself. Easy to check if a PC and separate monitor but more difficult if a laptop. If you can either swap the screen for a known good one, or for a lappie, connect a second external screen.
  2. If they are still pink, its likely to be the graphics driver. Go to the support website for your PC or graphic's card, and download the latest version of the graphics driver.
  3. A problem with the cable if a separate monitor. Again, the first point should prove or disprove this if you swap the cable as well.
  4. Heat ..... Are all the fans running and the airways kept clear? Particularly important with a laptop where the vents can be covered by clothing.

If that doesn't come up with anything, PM me or post back with the exact make and model of laptop or computer and screen and I may be able to advise further.

If you don't know what hardware and software is on the machine, download http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html free, and run it. It will give you a long list you can cut and paste and post here.

Thanks for all the suggestions... :thumb:

Not a lot we can do out here,,,, so once back in the UK I`ll drop you a PM...

We do have a couple more Laptops with us so we are not stuck.... just it`s her own personnel puter.. with all her girly stuff on.. :RollEyes:

Again Thanks..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back