Trikeman's solar installation photo diary (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Wayhaay - day one of Trikeman's solar installation diary. ::bigsmile:

Today I braved the hail, wind, rain, sleet, thunder and cold to start phase 1 of my solar installation. Needless to say I have been concentrating on the inside of the van.

First off, where do I fit the 20amp MPPT controller? After having a good look round I (we) decided inside the large wardrobe would be the best location and as recommended by Vlad the Impaler. This is out of sight and with a short, direct run from here to the batteries.
Phase 1 (a).
I fitted the MPPT, fuse box and tails from the fuse box to the MPPT.

I will be fitting the trunking from the roof down the left hand side of the controller. The trunking will carry the two 6mm cables down from the panels, exit and onto the fuse box. Then just below this, on the outbound side from the controller, via fuse box, the 6mm battery cables will go back into the trunking and down to the batteries. This way there will only be one trunking from floor of the wardrobe to the base. The cables will exit this trunking and then off along the floor (behind the drawers) to the batteries, via the second, close to the batteries, mounted fuse box.

I then fitted some trunking and fitted the interface for the MPPT remote. The interface goes along the horizontal trunking then up the trunking at the rear of the wardrobe and exits out through the back.
Phase 1 (b).

I then fitted the MPPT remote controller in the high level cupboard directly behind the wardrobe, above TV etc. I spent a bit of time thinking where to put this, but the decision was made by SWMBO that 'easily got at and seen - but out of sight' was the rule. :Blush:
Phase 1 (c).

Weather too bad to get onto the roof, so this afternoon it's into the garage to mount the spoiler mounts to the solar panels and installing the cables from the controller to the batteries. I will do all the wiring with the fuses removed so once the whole install is done - it's in with the fuses in the correct set-up order and away to go............ I hope.
:Doh:

THANKS for having a look.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Qestion

are you not going to use the sargent loom to connect it into the main psu charger to save running cables to both the batterys

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I have the PSU2005 - no solar function on that one.
Regards,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Shame it would have made life much easier for you . Less cables to run.
keep the pi cs coming very interested on how it all works out

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Oh' its all going on at Trikeman's - Have now fitted the spoiler mounting brackets to both solar panels which are 12v 100watts, they will be wired in series (24v). I used marine grade stainless steel flange type screws. Once the brackets are bonded to the roof the stainless screws will allow me to remove the panels for cleaning underneath when needed.

Phase 1 (d).
Fitment of the spoiler mounting brackets to the solar panels.

I have now fitted the twin fuse box near batteries and the cables from the controller end fuse box to the battery end. Unable to take pictures though - dark O clock now.

I really don't think the panels will be going on the roof for a while though, this hideous weather is preventing it.
:Angry:

Regards,

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Apparently the built in regulator in the Sargent unit isn't much cop, we have fitted a separate one on the recommendation of an auto electrician.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Apparently the built in regulator in the Sargent unit isn't much cop, we have fitted a separate one on the recommendation of an auto electrician.

I've heard similar too - plus the wiring is small and creates quite a resistance, OK for the on board charger but a bit small to 'squeeze' through the solar generated power. I am using 6mm cable to try to get every ounce from the panels via the MPPT.
::bigsmile:

Regards,

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
Back to braving the elements - yet again. :Doh:

Today I finished the 'lower' cabling and carried out all the tests - all passed with flying colours. Checked everything for continuity, resistances etc and all fine, put in some low watt fuses and fired the old gal up, minus the solar feeds (still not good weather to fit the panels). The remote control panel fired up too and the panel functioned as it should.
:thumb:
Removed the initial test tails and fitted the 6mm right through to the batteries, fused just below the controller and also at the battery end. Finished for the day now but really looking forward to what's left to do - fit both panels to the roof and drop the cables down to the controller,,,, but alas.

Regards,

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Why are you wiring the panels in series? They will each generate around 21-22 volts typically so hooked up in series they cna go up to the low to mid 40 volt range. They'd do better wired in parallel I think.

D.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
His model of Mppt regulator works better at the higher input voltage.
I most recently have fitted panels in threes so not done one in series yet with the model I use.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Why are you wiring the panels in series? They will each generate around 21-22 volts typically so hooked up in series they cna go up to the low to mid 40 volt range. They'd do better wired in parallel I think.

D.

Hi Dave,
thanks for getting back.

The supplier recommended that the two 100w panels be fitted in series to up the voltage being supplied to the controller - as Andy mentions. The MPPT supplied is apparently designed to take the higher voltages. I was also surprised by being told 'in series' too.

Dave, what would you think of this and what benefits wiring in parallel do you recon is over the 'in series' method?

I'm always up for understanding more about solar......::bigsmile:

Regards,

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If it helps?
At this time of year panels struggle to produce anything as they need 15 volts just to wake the regulator up.
The higher voltage of the series connection gives the regulator something to play with where a parallel connection will output nothing at all.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Thanks Andy,
you are a gentleman for getting back so quick and what you say makes perfect sense. :notworthy:

I love having a go, however better understanding things, like solar, has been really rewarding.

Thanks again old chap - I can see my beer debt mounting here....:roflmto:

Regards,

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Similar installation in my Burstner :)

Meter

Regulator

2 x 200W Panels

I have a Battery Master to fit so when the leisure batteries are topped up the engine battery will be charged.

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The vanbitz battery master does not wait for your leisure batteries to be fully charged.
It shifts charge to the starter battery whenever there is more than half a volt difference.

If you want to prioritise your leisure batteries then you want this @ £22
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
The vanbitz battery master does not wait for your leisure batteries to be fully charged.
It shifts charge to the starter battery whenever there is more than half a volt difference.

If you want to prioritise your leisure batteries then you want this @ £22
Broken Link Removed

This relay you recommend here, how does that actually fit on? I can see the diagram, but does fit at the leisure battery and then a cable has to be run to the cab battery? My cab battery has to be about 5 meters from the leisure batteries at least.

Regards,,,,,,,, again, :roflmto:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Dave,
thanks for getting back.

The supplier recommended that the two 100w panels be fitted in series to up the voltage being supplied to the controller - as Andy mentions. The MPPT supplied is apparently designed to take the higher voltages. I was also surprised by being told 'in series' too.

Dave, what would you think of this and what benefits wiring in parallel do you recon is over the 'in series' method?

I'm always up for understanding more about solar......::bigsmile:

Regards,

Fair enough, if the reg is designed for the higher input voltage that's fine and as Andy says it does help at this time of year. Its worth mentioning though for others thinking of installing their own solar kit that most regs are not designed for the higher input voltages.

D.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
both units are connected exactly the same but do the job differently. They can be connect anywhere where the necessary connections converge
This is usually recommended to be at the split charge relay but can be any number of places depending on the vehicle concerned.
Many vans have a battery selector switch, this is another good option.

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Looks like you made the same mistake I made, under some conditions that aerial will shade the panel. Unless the picture is deceptive.

Yes, I need to be mindful of where the sun is and try to avoid casting a shadow on the panels! The panels were fitted last summer and I've not had to hook up to charge the leisure batteries since.

@Techno100
I used the term 'Battery Master' loosely! I purchased a BCM12 BATTERY CHARGE MANAGER PRIME / SECONDARY CSB-2 from LeisureLines by Caravan Accessories C.A.K. Tanks. Acording to the instructions, when the leisure battery voltage exceeds 13.6v (with battery charger and solar panels) the device allows to recharge the car battery - charging current between 0.1 and 4amps. Hope it does the job.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I see
"battery master" has become like Hoover Kellogs etc

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes, I need to be mindful of where the sun is and try to avoid casting a shadow on the panels! The panels were fitted last summer and I've not had to hook up to charge the leisure batteries since.

@Techno100
I used the term 'Battery Master' loosely! I purchased a BCM12 BATTERY CHARGE MANAGER PRIME / SECONDARY CSB-2 from LeisureLines by Caravan Accessories C.A.K. Tanks. Acording to the instructions, when the leisure battery voltage exceeds 13.6v (with battery charger and solar panels) the device allows to recharge the car battery - charging current between 0.1 and 4amps. Hope it does the job.

I fitted one of those too some years back, and am very happy with it. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
The biggest mistake I made is buying solar panels - there's no bloody sun!!! I'd have been better off with a water wheel!

Today is just about as grey as it gets and it's raining, what a surprise! Just checked the performance of the panels.

From my 2 x 200 watt panels I'm getting 31volts to the regulator.

and 13volts @ .3amp charge rate to the leisure batteries :Doh:

Overnight the leisure batteries went down to 70% capacity and are slowly recovering now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
What the hell is taking your leisure batteries down overnight to that extent? Are your batteries OK? Is there something on? Is it parked up or are you away in it?

I know that in overcast weather the charge rate is substantially lower but why are the batteries down like that?

A good EHU charge is needed to replace the solar at the moment, I don't think we can rely on solar, in the current weather, to keep batteries up if there is usage.

Or am I talking through my bottom? :roflmto:

Regards,

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
What the hell is taking your leisure batteries down overnight to that extent? Are your batteries OK? Is there something on? Is it parked up or are you away in it?

I know that in overcast weather the charge rate is substantially lower but why are the batteries down like that?

I really don't know - something for me to investigate further! My Leaisures are old and might be time for replacement.

Is the output from your regulator connected directly to the batteries?

I went out to the van a couple of hours later when it had brightened up a little but still raining! This is what was displayed:

42.8 Volts from the Panels

14.8 Volts on the Leisure Batteries

Just reached 100% State of Charge

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Currently your batteries are showing 100% so that would be a prefect test tomorrow - if the batteries are showing much lower (like the 70% mentioned) then either something is really draining the batteries or they are fubard (in the good words of the prophet).

With my old leisure batteries after being on hook up all day would show fully charged according to the gauge. Checked in the morning and they were right down, a few mins lights on, dimmer and dimmer they would go. Nowt really draining batteries over night so changed the batteries - job done. Now they will last for ages (several days and nights) without charge, powering all sorts.

Although I haven't finished my solar fitment, yes my batteries are connected directly to the MPPT controller, same one as yours.

It really does appear to be your batteries struggling to keep charge - the acid test is that there is nothing draining them overnight.

Regards,

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
But on what basis ?

If it's on voltage only it's meaningless.

This is why I've not changed them yet! Isn't the only real way to test the capacity of a battery to put a known load across the terminals and time the batteries ability to maintain the supply - current & voltage?

@Trikeman - do you switch your meter off after use?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back