LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have a little problem with my tap in the motorhome kitchen.
it's loose and I keep doing yoga and tightening it up a bit, but it really needs to come right out have the threads cleaned up and then replaced and tightened.

Seeing as I am not a little child with bendy arms any more, it looks like the only real way of doing this is to remove the sink and create more space to access the tap. There are 3 or 4 screws on the sink and a rubber seal. Am I to assume it will also be sealed in with sealent?

Has any one actually removed a sink before?

TIA

Haggers.

will post photos of job as I do it tomorrow.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Why not wait until Monday and give Glenn or Ian a call on 01-580-881288 and pick their brains.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Autotrail

My Autotrail tracker is only held in by the screws with the rubber seal to prevent water ingress.

There was no sealant on my set up when I removed it.

Came out and went back really easy. :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Thanks Mike, I suspect it will be the same for mine too.

Will be giving it a go tomorrow.

Actually John, last German van I went in begining with a H,,, had a tap problem, owner ended up selling it, couldn't get the sink out and the drips had produced a damp and rotten floor. But you know what they say, those Hymers, are great..... :winky:

The swift group have an over ride protection on there's by making the taps come lose and requiring repair, it allows for continued assessment of the area under the sink...

Genious me thinks ::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul more than likely to be bedded on just the rubber seal :thumb: they are not like us DIYers and don't like cleaning up/off excess sealant ::bigsmile:Always found if done with both you can see the sealant :winky:
terry

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
French and German taps never come loose!:winky:

Yeah they do, I've just fitted a new tap on mine because I was sick of trying to repair it.

Bloody hell what a nightmare ended up having to buy some new tools to do the job and bend like a bloody contortionist to fit it which is not easy at my size and age. No thought about replacing when it was built.:whatthe:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Yeah they do, I've just fitted a new tap on mine because I was sick of trying to repair it.

Bloody hell what a nightmare ended up having to buy some new tools to do the job and bend like a bloody contortionist to fit it which is not easy at my size and age. No thought about replacing when it was built.:whatthe:

Ha ha... should of got yourself a little Chinese man to do it

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980

Could you not have got Jan to fix it.:ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If it is a Smev?

I fitted one to my self build. Basically hole in surface, rubber edging applied to rim of hob then screwed into place with plastic caps over screw holes.

Only thing you need to be careful of is if it is a combined sink/hob like mine. The gas pipe will need to be disconnected to lift it out. If it is just a sink unit then it lifts straight out.
Be careful not to stress the water pipes though.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Our kitchen tap kept working it's way loose. To access the base to tighten it, I had to remove the complete innards of the cupborad underneath, and (as you've already discovered Rory), had to contort myself into a position with a spanner in one hand, whilst holding a torch between my teeth, and using the other hand to hang on to the outside of the worktop edge, otherwise, I'd have never got back out from under there. :ROFLMAO:

Good luck Paul. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have had several sinks out on different motorhomes to access pipes. taps and wiring etc. with the ones that have screws on the top, that and the waste pipe are all that holds them in. others have screw clamps under the worktop. none of them come from the factory with sealant

when reassembling the wonky tap, put a bit of threadlock on to prevent it vibrating loose. wont stop you removing the tap later if need be though

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
depends if its been out before Paul.

Mine had, in the kontiki, and had been bedded on a none setting black mastic 'tape' seal.

Still easy to remove....just get a corner to lift a little, maybe need a knife blade to start it, then pull slowly with even pressure and the none setting mastic will seperate.....or ease it all round with the knife..

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Welcome to my world, and being 6 foot plus and 15 st+ and over 50 it doesn't get any easier! I've had to remove several kitchen sinks to fix/replace taps and I've never come across one fitted with anything other than the rubber seal. The difficult ones are those mounted to the underside of the worktop! Rigid waste pipework makes life a bit trickier than flexible too.

D.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Well done Paul! Good fix! Despite the challenging conditions!:thumb:

You must have got quite wet inside your Swift during this inclement weather!:reel::roflmto:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well done Paul! Good fix! Despite the challenging conditions!:thumb:

You must have got quite wet inside your Swift during this inclement weather!:reel::roflmto:

done a damp check today and all is well in the Swift group MH
:Blush::Cool:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
How these manufacturers fit sinks is beyond belief, when we had the Swift group caravan it was a round sink sunk into a rebate in the worktop totally relying on the rubber seal to stop water penetrating the bare wood :ROFLMAO:, alright the cardboard honeycomb, four wet & swollen worktops later fitted under warranty and despite me asking for the rebate and edge of the hole to be sealed before the sink was refitted each time they still didn't get the message, How hard can it be to seal bare edges before fitting the sink in an area that was obviously going to get wet. As usual I ended up doing the job myself.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
How these manufacturers fit sinks is beyond belief, when we had the Swift group caravan it was a round sink sunk into a rebate in the worktop totally relying on the rubber seal to stop water penetrating the bare wood :ROFLMAO:, alright the cardboard honeycomb, four wet & swollen worktops later fitted under warranty and despite me asking for the rebate and edge of the hole to be sealed before the sink was refitted each time they still didn't get the message, How hard can it be to seal bare edges before fitting the sink in an area that was obviously going to get wet. As usual I ended up doing the job myself.

I'm glad you say manufacturers, it's not just the swift group....swift group MHs are as problematic as any other as the posts here will testify.

Don't buy a MH unless you have a good tool box and basic DIY knowledge is my answer:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I'm glad you say manufacturers, it's not just the swift group....swift group MHs are as problematic as any other as the posts here will testify.

Don't buy a MH unless you have a good tool box and basic DIY knowledge is my answer:thumb:

Cant say I would totally agreel, but I always think some are better than others who ever makes them. ::bigsmile:

When we got our Eura Mobil we had all sorts of negative posts about Mercedes after someone broke down and spent a fortune on it, then the post ended up more about cars.:Doh:
Then it was :whatthe: I would never have the sprintshift gear box, yes some people have problems, but ours was great, and doing over 34000 miles a lot of towing 2.7 so plenty of power and a joy to drive.:thumb:
The build was the best we have had, and owning it four and a half years and nearly full timing for two, we never had anything to moan about, and the only thing we replaced was the control panel, that was 2007 and I know that things have changed in the industry.:cry:

We had a Swift motorhome, our Caravan is a Bailey 2009 and the workman ship :Doh: well its c**p, but then its the layout we want and its light in comparison to the european caravans.:roflmto:
But one thing that shocked us was when we started to look for a caravan, and joining caravan talk and the swift forum is that they still build caravans that leak, they said that when we had our kontiki and everyone called them leaky kontiki. :cry:

Our Rapido is OK, but its not German build. ::bigsmile:
And the chassi is a Fiat :winky: could I have found a 6 meter van conversion on a Mercedes with a german build, I would have one. :thumb: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back