Is It Still Drawing Power (1 Viewer)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Question for you technophobes out there. If a phone/ipad charger is plugged in and turned on but not attached to the item is it still drawing any current. :Smile:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Yes, small amount, but also cheap Chinese ones have been known to self combust ! Best unplug anything when it's not in use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
All items left on standby ( that is iphone/laptop/ipads ) chargers and even TV / Radio / Microwave ovens and computers draw power on standby. This may not seem much in the short term, however over a month or year can be a much as 150 quid in the average household ( don't quote me ). Standby on a TV is the worst and leaving chargers plugged in comes second followed by computers, which many people leave connected, but switched on!!!!

It's all wasted money burning away........

OP
OP
daveandsan
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
All items left on standby ( that is iphone/laptop/ipads ) chargers and even TV / Radio / Microwave ovens and computers draw power on standby. This may not seem much in the short term, however over a month or year can be a much as 150 quid in the average household ( don't quote me ). Standby on a TV is the worst and leaving chargers plugged in comes second followed by computers, which many people leave connected, but switched on!!!!

It's all wasted money burning away........
Yes I understand tvs etc use power on standby, it was just the chargers I was concerned about. :Smile:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
A modern TV should only cost around 16-20p/year if left on stand-by, phone chargers and the like use a miniscule amount, but nonetheless use some power. I am guilty of leaving my computer on all the time we are at home, cost, around £80/year.

Rgds
Bill

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
A modern TV should only cost around 16-20p/year if left on stand-by, phone chargers and the like use a miniscule amount, but nonetheless use some power. I am guilty of leaving my computer on all the time we are at home, cost, around £80/year.

Rgds
Bill

The amount of electricity that a New/Modern television uses on standby is at least 3 watts per hour. Therefore, if it is on standby for 8 hours, the amount of electricity that will be consumed is 24 watts.
Depending on how much you pay for electricity, it means that if you have 2 x TVs are left on standby then it would cost about £15-20 a year...........

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Standby power, also called vampire power, vampire draw, phantom load, or leaking electricity ("phantom load" and "leaking electricity" are defined technical terms with other meanings, adopted for this different purpose), refers to the electric power consumed by electronic and electrical appliances while they are switched off (but are designed to draw some power) or in a standby mode. This only occurs because some devices claimed to be "switched off" on the electronic interface, but are in a different state from switching off from the plug, or disconnecting from the plug, which can solve the problem of standby power completely. In fact, switching off at the plug is effective enough, there is no need to disconnect all devices from the plug. Some such devices offer remote controls and digital clock features to the user, while other devices, such as power adapters for disconnected electronic devices, consume power without offering any features (sometimes called no-load power). All of the above examples, such as the remote control, digital clock functions and, in the case of adapters, no-load power, are switched off just by switching off at the plug. However, for some devices with built-in internal battery, such as the phone, the standby functions can be stopped by removing the battery instead.

In the past standby power was largely a non-issue for users, electricity providers, manufacturers, and government regulators. In the first decade of the twenty-first century awareness of the issue grew and it became an important consideration for all parties. Up to the middle of the decade, standby power was often several watts or even tens of watts per appliance. [HI]By 2010 regulations were in place in most developed countries restricting standby power of devices sold to one watt [/HI](and half that from 2013). How many people have bought a TV new in 2013 and checked the watts in standby!!!!!!!!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just checked, my TV uses 0.3 watts on stand-by, I'm home 240 days a year.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You can tell the chargers use power if you unplug them they are usually warm even if not charging an i-pod /phone at the time the heat comes from somewhere

David

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Overnight we normally leave about 4 computers on standby (sleep mode), 2 TV's and 2 Sky boxes, there is also a low power night light on in the little lads room and a night light on the landing.

Our overnight consumption in this condition is just under 2p an hour, based on 8 hours a night that works out about £58 a year, assuming that is the same every night, which it is not as we are away a lot and everything is then shut down.

However we also have 2 fridges and 2 freezers running 24/7, the boiler for heating and water when required, internet router, and a couple of electronic digital clock. They probably account for much more than half of the overnight consumption so our standby devices cost us a lot less than 1p an hour, so just a few P a night....:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Perhaps our firemen members would know but I am sure I read somewhere that chargers were a large cause of house fires

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The amount of electricity that a New/Modern television uses on standby is at least 3 watts per hour. Therefore, if it is on standby for 8 hours, the amount of electricity that will be consumed is 24 watts.
Depending on how much you pay for electricity, it means that if you have 2 x TVs are left on standby then it would cost about £15-20 a year...........

Not sure about those figures. Firstly my 3 year old 40" Sony LCD TV draws 0.19W on standby,according to the manual. And secondly 2TVs x 3W x 8hrs x 365days = 17,520Wh = 17.5KWh. By my reckoning that will cost about £2.40 at the rate I pay EDF for electricity.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Standby power... How many people have bought a TV new in 2013 and checked the watts in standby!!!!!!!!

Not sure about those figures. Firstly my 3 year old 40" Sony LCD TV draws 0.19W on standby,according to the manual. And secondly 2TVs x 3W x 8hrs x 365days = 17,520Wh = 17.5KWh. By my reckoning that will cost about £2.40 at the rate I pay EDF for electricity.

Agree...

From the manual of my Samsung TV...

SAMSUNG UE40F6500 40 inch 3D LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD freesat HD

Broken Link Removed

Power Consumption on Standby = 0.1W/hr

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread