Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Been looking at various options of routes down through France end of next month avoiding toll roads.My favoured option is down past Clermont Ferrand and Millau,whats the thoughts of using this route in Feb?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Been looking at various options of routes down through France end of next month avoiding toll roads.My favoured option is down past Clermont Ferrand and Millau,whats the thoughts of using this route in Feb?

Difficult to tell till the last moment ! It can be very snowy.... or quite warm!
Best thing is to look at the forecast on "météo France" and have a plan B!:Smile:

Amicalement

Frankie

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
That's more or less what I thought :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Would have thought would be fine then.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
We've done Chateauroux, Limoges, Brive, Montauban, Cahors (aire), Toulouse, Carcassonne, Narbonne, Perpignon in the winter, to avoid very high ground, without much trouble. Clermont is a bit too high up and a long way from the sea for my liking.

Forget to say, we don't normally use toll roads.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Came back that way in jan 20013. Very cold -15, lots of snow but road clear all the way. Main Trunk Route into Spain so kept clear for Trucks..Good route. Only toll Millaue Bridge. BUSBY:Smile:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
If you are driving when there is snow on the ground even though the roads are cleared, do you have to have snow chains as part of the vehicle manifest?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
hdvrod - we are planning to do that route in the middle of March so we would be grateful for a report back when you do it. Especially on any alternatives you took.

To any of you who have done this in March we are planning to stop for the night in an Aire around Nevers/Moulins way and then try to do the "mountain" bit in a day and stop somewhere around Millau (or a bit South) the following night. Is that feasible please? Will the Aires near that route be busy at that time of year?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
hdvrod - we are planning to do that route in the middle of March so we would be grateful for a report back when you do it. Especially on any alternatives you took.

To any of you who have done this in March we are planning to stop for the night in an Aire around Nevers/Moulins way and then try to do the "mountain" bit in a day and stop somewhere around Millau ([HI]or a bit South[/HI]) the following night. Is that feasible please? Will the Aires near that route be busy at that time of year?

Worth considering stopover at La Couvertoirade as an interesting village
http://www.lacouvertoirade.com/tourisme/en/index.php

Shush.gif
Fresh water in cemetary

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011

To any of you who have done this in March we are planning to stop for the night in an Aire around Nevers/Moulins way and then try to do the "mountain" bit in a day and stop somewhere around Millau (or a bit South) the following night. Is that feasible please? Will the Aires near that route be busy at that time of year?
Spent most of yesterday with wife searching for campsites that are open in Feb,we have nearly completed the list,it and the route is more west than the Millau and about 200 miles between each campsite,will post it on here when we have completed it.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If you cross Newhaven Dieppe on the night crossing it is an easy drive to MILLAU in the day. About ten hours. Excellent route all the way. Aire in centre of town at Millau. You will be on The Med before lunch the next day....BUSBY::bigsmile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thank you. Are there any Aires or campsites (open in March) in the area that you know of - the website did not list any

There is a large car park area by the village with toilets where you can park and there is the official motorhome area 100m down the road which will be open as well.

DO NOT try to find the village by sat nav or you may have problems.

The best access if you travel south on the D55 is a left turn approx 300m after passing the right turn D185, this will take you directly to the village and you will see the m/h area on your right in 100m and the car park a further 100m.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There is a large car park area by the village with toilets where you can park and there is the official motorhome area 100m down the road which will be open as well.

DO NOT try to find the village by sat nav or you may have problems.

The best access if you travel south on the D55 is a left turn approx 300m after passing the right turn D185, this will take you directly to the village and you will see the m/h area on your right in 100m and the car park a further 100m.
Thanks. I have now found it in my Aires book. But it says it has no water or waste disposal. Is that correct?

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you cross Newhaven Dieppe on the night crossing it is an easy drive to MILLAU in the day. About ten hours. Excellent route all the way. Aire in centre of town at Millau. You will be on The Med before lunch the next day....BUSBY::bigsmile:

Thanks Busby. Newhaven is nice and easy for us, but I am already booked on the tunnel. My wife does not fancy crossings in March! And I am going to take the journey easy, rather than hammer down. That used to be what we did when we had kids, caravan and 2 weeks holidays, but not now.

So early afternoon crossing and first stop at the great new Aire at Neufchattel. Then I reckon 6 hours or so (including a couple of breaks) will get us to Nevers way, and we will stay somewhere around there probably.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks. I have now found it in my Aires book. But it says it has no water or waste disposal. Is that correct?

There is a toilet block which has notices saying no chemical emptying ..... we didn't need to use it but as we use no chemicals in the cassette I would have no reservation about emptying down the wc.

There is no official water tap but please refer to the small type at the bottom of my earlier post.:winky:
Brian

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
€12 for 24 hours :Eeek:

Thats a rip off. They were queuing to get on it last year on my way down so did not stop. Drove on to LODEVE and stayed in town centre for the night. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
On another note. What is the best place to stop for a good view of the Millau bridge? You can tell I am a civil engineer can't you? :RollEyes:

I think the best view is from underneath on the old road but there is an AIRE approaching the bridge (do not know what its like for overnighting) but i would imagine the views to be excellent. Always lots of people on it when i have passed. BUSBY:Smile:

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
Just come that way. No probs. My advice for what its worth. when you're ready to move, bout 11am for me usually, pick a small village south of you however far you want to drive. Then set you sat nav for secondary roads, sit back, don't hurry & enjoy the adventure. France, off the beaten track, is delightful.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I have a +3.5 M/H would that severely restrict me in taking the back roads?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Very few bridges in France lower than 4 metres. Biggest problems are in Cities. BUSBY::bigsmile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
According to the Aires book it is supposed to be free to park

We thought that was the case until we arrived there to find a barrier, a €12 charge and NO motorhomes on it.:ROFLMAO:

We then moved on to another aire slightly further south to find the same barrier and charge so moved on to La Couvertoirade ...... €3 in the ticket machine and the village is certainly worth a visit.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back