The Big BT FON Thread (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I see in another thread someone promoting fon, I am a bt customer and allegedly can connect to fon and indeed can at home but never been able to connect abroad , tried it in France but didn't work even though it said it was in my wifi connections and have had the same here in Portugal this week, it asks for password but doesn't accept any of my known passwords, not even my bt one:Sad:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You need to be using a BT Home Hub at home and have your account enabled for FON (speak to BT Broadband, I've know people not be 'opted in').

Once BT confirm you are active for FON, before you go away do the same via the FON help desk. Get them to check your BT Internet username is correct and ask when using a SFR-with-FON hotspot which login you should use (usually FON).

Broken Link Removed

There is some information on where to enter your details here (it is not in the MAIN login page, you must press FON at the bottom): Link Removed

I believe you can 'test' your BT / FON login here: Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You need to be using a BT Home Hub at home and have your account enabled for FON (speak to BT Broadband, I've know people not be 'opted in').

Once BT confirm you are active for FON, before you go away do the same via the FON help desk. Get them to check your BT Internet username is correct and ask when using a SFR-with-FON hotspot which login you should use (usually FON).

Broken Link Removed

There is some information on where to enter your details here (it is not in the MAIN login page, you must press FON at the bottom): Link Removed

I believe you can 'test' your BT / FON login here: Broken Link Removed

Iv done all them things countless times, I have been with bt internet since it started, must be over 15 years, and as I say I can connect to fon in uk no problem, but I have NEVER been able to connect abroad, I am useing my yahoo email password and my bt email address but it just won't accept it. Has anyone with bt actually used fon abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Iv done all them things countless times, I have been with bt internet since it started, must be over 15 years, and as I say I can connect to fon in uk no problem, but I have NEVER been able to connect abroad, I am useing my yahoo email password and my bt email address but it just won't accept it. Has anyone with bt actually used fon abroad.

I'm confused at why you would use your yahoo email password ? It is your BT Internet account that you must use (for some, this might be different as you can have one without the other).

If you try and log into BT (note: do not select BT Yahoo! mail, use the top link - 'BT ID')
https://home.bt.com/login/loginform

If you visit this site, choose 'BT' and enter those details - what happens?
Broken Link Removed

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Broken Link Removed[/QUOTE]

I chose BT, clicked on the only button ' Enviar', and got this

Ooops...
404 Page not found
Sorry about that. The page you were trying to reach isn't there. In order to fix this, please let us know where you wanted to go.

So I have told them and hopefully it will be fixed in due course.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Broken Link Removed

Ooops...
404 Page not found
Sorry about that. The page you were trying to reach isn't there. In order to fix this, please let us know where you wanted to go.

So I have told them and hopefully it will be fixed in due course.[/QUOTE]

Yes that's what I get:Sad:
My btinternet email is .........@btinternet.com and that is what I use with the email password that I have used for 15 years to log in to yahoo mail. Don't know about any other bt account password as I get into bt billing as well with the same details. But fon will just not recognise it, just got back from a bar and it said on my list that I had a zon/fon connection but no luck:cry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bt fon again , sorry

Got to come home this afternoon so would like to have one final go at this before we go , has anyone successfuly connected to bt fon in Portugal because iv tried everything that's been said on here and just get no connection, do you actually have to go to fon and sign up with them in each country you are in or what. Sorry to bang on about this again but when I am in uk it works so iv got to do it while here.:cry:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Got to come home this afternoon so would like to have one final go at this before we go , has anyone successfuly connected to bt fon in Portugal because iv tried everything that's been said on here and just get no connection, do you actually have to go to fon and sign up with them in each country you are in or what. Sorry to bang on about this again but when I am in uk it works so iv got to do it while here.:cry:

Ask Bt

Bt Wifi 0800 022 3322 option 2

:thumb:

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi, with Fon you have to sign in & agree to share your wifi with other Fon members.

That means, I think, that if there is not a Fon hotspot/sharer close to where you are you've had it!

If there is you sign in with your user name & password to access the Fon connection. Here's something I found specific to Portugal:

Broken Link Removed mentions Zon, as did Jim!

Must say I've never had much luck with Fon in France-always thought it was to do with lack of hotspots?

We use a Europasim & Huawei Myfi that worked great in Albi, north of Toulouse, last September. We got it from here (where they are very helpful) http://www.motorhomewifi.com

Good luck,

Roger

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi, with Fon you have to sign in & agree to share your wifi with other Fon members.

That means, I think, that if there is not a Fon hotspot/sharer close to where you are you've had it!

If there is you sign in with your user name & password to access the Fon connection. Here's something I found specific to Portugal:

Broken Link Removed mentions Zon, as did Jim!

Must say I've never had much luck with Fon in France-always thought it was to do with lack of hotspots?

We use a Europasim & Huawei Myfi that worked great in Albi, north of Toulouse, last September. We got it from here (where they are very helpful) http://www.motorhomewifi.com

Good luck,

Roger

Yes thanks for that , but my problem is it just won't accept my login details, but it does in the uk, not France or Portugal ,mystery to me, iv found plenty hotspots here but just won't let me in, can't really ring bt from here and if I go to the help pages it says I can't use the internet help thingy from my location:Doh::Doh:
Just about to give up on it as there are plenty more internet points in bars and things, but have to ask for the wifi password, just thought the fon thing would be easier if it worked, trying in the airport in a bit then that's it:Doh::Doh:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well, no fon in faro airport so can't try it, got a good connection though, free for half an hour, and it's working fine, think it's called bebido or something, so will have to get on to bt when we get home, best day we have had all week and we are sitting in an airport waiting to get back to the cold and wet, never mind out in the van next time:thumb::thumb:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
From what you said in the other thread you started, your account is not activated for FON if you were unable to log in to the FON website link I gave you using your BT Internet account (you said you got an Error when logging in). What I said in that thread remains true and is how a number of customers of ours have gotten sorted in the past. Please to follow the advice I left for you there, as I recon if you do you'll get online.

Broken Link Removed

1.) Log onto your BT WiFi account and ensure you are 'opted in' to FON:
https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do

2.) Open a Support Ticket with FON. Give them your BT Internet username and ask them to check if your account is validated for FON in Portugal: Broken Link Removed

3.) If not, your issue and point of contact is with BT.
BROKEN LINK

4.) Also try the BT Internet forums: Broken Link Removed

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No1 yes opted in
No2 unrecognised

What did the e-mail back from the FON support team say? Can you post it here?

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Broken Link Removed

Ooops...
404 Page not found

So I have told them and hopefully it will be fixed in due course.[/QUOTE]

I get the same error message on that Fon check site, I also left them a message

I gave Bt wifi number on the other thread as I have never been able to use Fon in France and contacted Bt on return. I was told to ring them with locations so they could check before I go next time.
I am tempted to just buy the Fon router and register it at home before I go as that I believe works.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We had BT Fon and used it in Britain with no problems. Signed up to share but could not connect when travelling in France even when on the French supplier. EXCEPT when we tried with my brother's password last year, on his account, and we connected!!! So it does work but it is very intermittent.

Questions need to be asked to BT. Someone??

We are normally based in Spain so not easy for us to query.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ok, so I wrote a forum post on the BT Forum in the hope of getting some clarification, but the BT Forums are not monitored by BT but their customers :Doh:

Could someone copy and paste (changing the intro perhaps) my post and e-mail it to BT? Perhaps this would give the clarification that BT Broadband customers clearly need.

Here is the link:
https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadba...R-with-FON-Clarification-from-BT/td-p/1146098

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have used FON whilst in France (I am a BT customer). I do remember that when trying to log in, initially it kept rejecting me.

I then found out that I had been trying to log in at the wrong place. I tried a different log in method and it worked. Sadly off the top of my head I can't remember what I actually did. :Doh:

I shall try to rattle the grey cell about a bit and see if I can remember......

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Works ok in UK on my phone.

Useless in France, there seems to be no one using it anywhere and it`s impossible to log on to if you find one.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Works ok in UK on my phone.

Useless in France, there seems to be no one using it anywhere and it`s impossible to log on to if you find one.

So there is clearly a problem then for BT customers, as FON customers report using it extensively.

If a BT Customer can copy and paste my response in an e-mail directly perhaps we can start to uncover what BT customers need to do in order to connect?

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I got onto fon through SFR in France last year. I was surprised by this as more generally I have found BT Fon to be hit and miss both in France and in the UK. Sometimes it seems to accept my log in details and sometimes it wont. I have even had it where it wont load the log in page. all these issues appear random to me. My only thought was maybe the FON will only allow one person to connect to a router at a time. I don't know but was a thought I had that might explain things.

Steve

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I got onto fon through SFR in France last year. I was surprised by this as more generally I have found BT Fon to be hit and miss both in France and in the UK. Sometimes it seems to accept my log in details and sometimes it wont. I have even had it where it wont load the log in page. all these issues appear random to me. My only thought was maybe the FON will only allow one person to connect to a router at a time. I don't know but was a thought I had that might explain things.

Steve

If you log in and a page doesn't load, it might be because the hotspot itself isn't connected to the internet. You can 'force' the captive portal to load by trying to find the Gateway address in your IP settings and putting that in your address bar in a http:// format.

You can only connect one device per hotspot (unless using a router or iBoost etc), but you can use one login in 5 different locations.

Anyone who is having issues I'd recommend making sure you are opted in and perhaps even re-registering for FON here - perhaps this will result in your details being re-submitted to FON: https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
So there is clearly a problem then for BT customers, as FON customers report using it extensively.

If a BT Customer can copy and paste my response in an e-mail directly perhaps we can start to uncover what BT customers need to do in order to connect?

i'll give it a go to customer support and report back:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
its a mjor incident trying to get this off to BT. however i have checked my stuff and all set up and did use it last year in central France, but also had probs on a few occassions. i have emailed for advice:thumb:

will post what i get back:Eeek:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Back in uk now and connecting to bt fon instantly and it's working fast, I Logged into the connection in my list and a page came up to login put my details in and away it went instant, I'll have to get on to bt and sort it before we go France again

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
lets us know how you get on. they did a recent upgrade on their BT smart talk and BTwifi apps and i had to reload them as they were playing up. i have since had a few messages appear on my mobile saying

" we note you are abroad, make use of BTfon"!:Doh:

PS; and thats been at home in UK, unless Wales has got independence without me noticing:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
BT FON the replies.. use abroad

I have had back replies from FON and the questions posed re use outside uk and problems logging in.
i have not had time to disect the replies as i have to get out. so please look through for yourselves.
nothing from BT as yet.

Phill

using FON UK
Zlatko Kolezarić, Jan 24 10:19:
Hi Phillip,
Thanks for using Fon!
As your emailI account is including the @btinternet.com part, I assume you are a Fon member through BT Total Broadband.
As BTFon member through BT Total Broadband , please note that the login details for trying to use a BTFon hotspot, is your full primary BT email address and BT password. Make sure you tick the corresponding radio button on the Landing page, in this case "BT Total Broadband".
ATTENTION: If you are using Fon hotspots abroad, click on the BT customers option under the login field to access.
You can retrieve your password online at:
http://btsupport.custhelp.com/cgi-b...&p_lva=&cat_lvl1=1812&p_cv=1.1812&p_cats=1812
As the Fon helpdesk does not have access to our partner's system, to get more support you need to contact the BT helpdesk on 0800 022 3322 or at btfonenquiry@bt.com as we do not have access to BT customers details.
Please find below more information about how to connect to the Fon network outside your country:
Broken Link Removed
To check the status of your Fon account go to:
https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/stat...vSGcyxwFrgvmyh85L91Qr!654837660!1264751638740
Or If you haven't joined Fon yet, read this:
http://btsupport.custhelp.com/cgi-b...d=11000&cat_lvl1=1812&p_cv=1.1812&p_cats=1812
We hope you continue to enjoy the Fon network!
Sincerely,
Zlatko
Fon Customer Care
For more information about Fon, please click here:
http://corp.fon.com/

and next

Using FON abroad

Zlatko Kolezarić, Jan 24 10:21:
Hi Phillip,
Thanks for using Fon!
As BTFon member through BT Total Broadband , please note that the login details for trying to use a BTFon hotspot, is your full primary BT email address and BT password. Make sure you tick the corresponding radio button on the Landing page, in this case "BT Total Broadband".
ATTENTION: If you are using Fon hotspots abroad, click on the BT customers option under the login field to access.
You can retrieve your password online at:
http://btsupport.custhelp.com/cgi-b...&p_lva=&cat_lvl1=1812&p_cv=1.1812&p_cats=1812
As the Fon helpdesk does not have access to our partner's system, to get more support you need to contact the BT helpdesk on 0800 022 3322 or at btfonenquiry@bt.com as we do not have access to BT customers details.
Please find below more information about how to connect to the Fon network outside your country:
Broken Link Removed
To check the status of your Fon account go to:
https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/stat...vSGcyxwFrgvmyh85L91Qr!654837660!1264751638740
Or If you haven't joined Fon yet, read this:
http://btsupport.custhelp.com/cgi-b...d=11000&cat_lvl1=1812&p_cv=1.1812&p_cats=1812
We hope you continue to enjoy the Fon network!
Sincerely,
Zlatko
Fon Customer Care
For more information about Fon, please click here:
http://corp.fon.com/

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
BT FON - A VERIFIED FIX

As well as on the forum I've had a couple of our customers e-mailing me and we've been trying to get to the bottom of it. I've had one customer report that they have been able to fix the problem and were able to log into a FON hotspot within 24hrs.

1.) Visit this page, log into your BT account and then OPT OUT of BT WiFi / FON: https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do

When finished, log out of your account.

2.) Visit this page and OPT IN / REGISTER FOR BT WiFI:
https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do

This obviously causes your details to be re-submitted to FON as a valid account and therefore should fix the problem. :thumb:

If it works for you, please report back!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back