Great little tool - best £3.50 I have spent - recommended! (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
what a cracking little tool for your MoHo - Bought one and used in cab and hab, gives a good idea of problems if charging going wayward. Quicker than popping the bonnet and getting the multi-meter out.

A very fast diagnostic tool too - best £3.50 I have spent for some time.
:thumb:
Broken Link Removed

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Agreed, I got one a few weeks ago :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my god....how long have these things been around.......

Dont you love Chinese interpreters :ROFLMAO:

Tips:

①When your car is powered (but not started), the switch of the storage battery is now on, and the normal voltage reading should range between 12.2-12.8 volts. ② When your car has been started, the [HI]dynamo[/HI] is on, and the normal voltage reading should range between 13.4-14.8 volts.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
my god....how long have these things been around.......

Dont you love Chinese interpreters :ROFLMAO:

Tips:

①When your car is powered (but not started), the switch of the storage battery is now on, and the normal voltage reading should range between 12.2-12.8 volts. ② When your car has been started, the [HI]dynamo[/HI] is on, and the normal voltage reading should range between 13.4-14.8 volts.

Have they stopped using dynamos now John?:winky:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Check their accuracy before use. I have two of which one is a full volt out.:whatthe:

Yep, did that, I use it as a charge state indicator - a sort of first port of call. I checked the one I have and not as inaccurate as the one you have, but of course it's not as accurate as it could be. It was 'just a tad' out compared to my Fluke tester.
Having said that I could buy over a hundred of these for the price of my Fluke.
:roflmto:

Regards,

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive had mine for over a year not to bothered how accurate it is as it gives you an idea of which way your batteries are going
little tip for all those just buying one ive screwed a 22mm plastic pipe clip inside the wardrobe and this clips in nicely when you want to store it

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Check their accuracy before use. I have two of which one is a full volt out.:whatthe:

according to the chinese translated blurb they have an accuracy of 0.1v to 0.3v.

Probably just an estimated accuracy calculated on the values of the (few) componants used

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
I'm probably missing something but what does it tell you that the control panel in the van doesn't? :Confused:

Doesn't the control panel tell you the state of your leisure batteries, this will tell you the state of your van battery & whether the alternator is charging.:Smile: :Smile:

Last edited:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
OK so I understand if you put it in the 12v cab socket you get a reading but do you also get a reading if you put it say the 12v socket that powers the TV and if so would that tell you the volts of the measure battery ???

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
OK so I understand if you put it in the 12v cab socket you get a reading but do you also get a reading if you put it say the 12v socket that powers the TV and if so would that tell you the volts of the measure battery ???

Yes it will - the primary function is to show the charging status, cab socket shows the battery voltage (engine off) then when you start the engine it will then rise to show the level of charge. If you put it in your leisure outlet (socket) it will show your leisure battery voltage and when on EHU or solar it will show the charging voltage,,,,,, Handy as you can see it whilst driving in the cab socket. If you get a flat battery it could show that your alternator may not be charging correctly - for example. Not all MoHo's have a dash volt/amp meter, just an ignition light so can help there.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Yes it will - the primary function is to show the charging status, cab socket shows the battery voltage (engine off) then when you start the engine it will then rise to show the level of charge. If you put it in your leisure outlet (socket) it will show your leisure battery voltage and when on EHU or solar it will show the charging voltage,,,,,, Handy as you can see it whilst driving in the cab socket. If you get a flat battery it could show that your alternator may not be charging correctly - for example. Not all MoHo's have a dash volt/amp meter, just an ignition light so can help there.

Ok , I"m convinced , have ordered one. Thanks for info and link. :thumb:

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Hi All,
what a cracking little tool for your MoHo - Bought one and used in cab and hab, gives a good idea of problems if charging going wayward. Quicker than popping the bonnet and getting the multi-meter out.

Broken Link Removed

Regards,

Thanks for info but just tried to order one and they don't deliver to Spain.
Have to get son in uk to send over here.
Cheers :Cool:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
"Error range 0.1-0.3 volts".

The difference between a nearly discharged and a well over discharged battery!

You pays your money..........:Smile:.

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
Hi All,

Broken Link Removed

Regards,

hi that is dear i payed £1+ for mine on e bay

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I paid £1.49 for mine last year P/P included.

It is always within 0.1 Volts of my Fluke....

Nice easy to see readout in the cab, though I do remember when cars and some bikes had voltmeters built into the dash. I liked those too.....

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Can you read your control panel in the van whilst your driving?....:winky:

:Cool:

Can't imagine why you'd need to. :winky: As I'm sure you know, you can use the control panel to check the voltage of the cab battery with the engine running while stationary. You can also calibrate the control panel to give accurate readings. Save your £3.50! :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back