Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
One of the most scariest things to happen with an RV is Awning Auto Deployment at 60 MPH on the motorway, it has happened to three members of this forum if not more,myself included
No amount of strapping the legs to the side of the RV will prevent it because.
The one and only reason it happens is failure of the awning safety lock (ratchet) and with a failed ratchet the awning tube is free to revolve and deploy the fabric at any time with the legs locked back or not.
When this has happened to others I have seen a multitude of straps tapes and lashings used to make temporary repairs to get you and the awning home in one piece.
Thankfully due to my son Steve's ingenuity (he gets it from his dad) a safe and simple method of getting about safely with a damaged awning lock has been developed, wind speed tested to 60 Mph and used for 6 journeys whilst awaiting the spare parts reqd
It is not rocket science either
Simply obtain an empty 2 litre fizzy pop bottle, turn upside and drill a 15mm hole in the centre, about 2/3 from the bottom cut right through the bottle removing the top 1/3 completely. then split the lower 2/Rd's down one side from the top edge to the hole drilled in the bottom, place over the front edge of the awning (see Pic) and hey presto the fabric is air tight and as its the air getting in between the rolled layers that deploys the awning, this is no longer possible.
when you arrive on site open awning as you would normally and the bottle simply falls off, the only down side is you need to get up on the roof or use a step ladder to re fit before you drive off again
You will see from the pic a Schweppes's bottle has been used, I can not vouch for Tesco or other inferior branded products:ROFLMAO:
Geo
Ps No Straps or ties are reqd on the bottle

Attachments

• DSC00172 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00172 (Medium).JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
One of the most scariest things to happen with an RV is Awning Auto Deployment at 60 MPH on the motorway, it has happened to three members of this forum if not more,myself included
No amount of strapping the legs to the side of the RV will prevent it because.
The one and only reason it happens is failure of the awning safety lock (ratchet) and with a failed ratchet the awning tube is free to revolve and deploy the fabric at any time with the legs locked back or not.
When this has happened to others I have seen a multitude of straps tapes and lashings used to make temporary repairs to get you and the awning home in one piece.
Thankfully due to my son Steve's ingenuity (he gets it from his dad) a safe and simple method of getting about safely with a damaged awning lock has been developed, wind speed tested to 60 Mph and used for 6 journeys whilst awaiting the spare parts reqd
It is not rocket science either
Simply obtain an empty 2 litre fizzy pop bottle, turn upside and drill a 15mm hole in the centre, about 2/3 from the bottom cut right through the bottle removing the top 1/3 completely. then split the lower 2/Rd's down one side from the top edge to the hole drilled in the bottom, place over the front edge of the awning (see Pic) and hey presto the fabric is air tight and as its the air getting in between the rolled layers that deploys the awning, this is no longer possible.
when you arrive on site open awning as you would normally and the bottle simply falls off, the only down side is you need to get up on the roof or use a step ladder to re fit before you drive off again
You will see from the pic a Schweppes's bottle has been used, I can not vouch for Tesco or other inferior branded products:ROFLMAO:
Geo
Ps No Straps or ties are reqd on the bottle

Neat idea Geo. :thumb:

You'll want to patent that now. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back