How do you handle young kids going to bed early (1 Viewer)

bobslay

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi everyone, I am very new to the Motorhome scene, I am looking at renting a class C with a view to maybe purchasing further down the line.

I have two kids (ages 2 and 4) and they go to bed around 7pm. How do people handle this as there doesn't seem to be any bedroom separation? If the weather was nice we could just sit outside until we were going to bed but we are looking to rent in March with a further three weeks in May.

Anyone's expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I don't know what the configuration of the class C is but generally our kids are pretty tired after running about all day so they go sleep quickly and we can draw a curtain across their sleeping area and get on with our evening.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
When our kids were young we had a chausson flash 03 with rear bunks. If you look at loads of vans you will find lots of different layouts some like our current van have twin beds at tje rear with separation doors or screens.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

crimbo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"I`m a newbie"
I carry a length of 4"x2", it works wonders :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No children to worry about, sorry

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
It depends how good your children are at going to sleep.

My 11 year-old son always has gone to bed without complaint anywhere.

My 2 year-old daughter is the complete opposite and gets very anxious if sleeping anywhere unfamiliar for the first night, even if it's somewhere she's slept before.

We can't put them to bed too early or we'd have issues with my daughter, so we compromise until she's tired. The best technique last time in Udo was letting her into my son's bed above the cab for a cuddle. Within 15 minutes she was fast asleep.

During bedtime, we leave them alone but close enough (usually outside) so that they can hear us. My daughter finds that comforting. My son just earwigs.::bigsmile:

I think it's what works for you. Our priority was to have two defined sleeping areas for our two children.

The other thing you may find is how to hold them in bed. We have a bed restrainer thing that my daughter has on her bed in Udo. Works brilliantly, although she wiggled herself down the bed on the first night we were away last time and then THUMP!, there she was semi-asleep sat on the floor. I was so tired, I was convinced it was 6am when it was actually 11.30pm. So I sleepily brought her into bed with us.:Doh:

But I agree, tire them out and they'll sleep (relatively) easily. And make them feel comfortable and secure, if that's their nature.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I carry a length of 4"x2", it works wonders :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No children to worry about, sorry
GafferTape05A.jpg

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Bob

If your looking to hire have a chat to Andy or Karen as I have various vans for hire, our phone is 01-580-881288 option 1

Good luck and welcome to Fun

Peter

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
We have x2 little uns, In a Autotrail Scout there are two separate curtains either side of the loo. Kids sleep in the rear bed area.

So , either we or them can get up and (go) with out disturbing the kids.
We also put them to bed and can sit out side drinking (tea) :RollEyes: while they nod off .:thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we have a six year old never been a problem running a round all day he sleeps right thought or it's there holiday to just let them stay up till tired
and if that don't work drug them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Our two boys now 10 and 5 sleep in the bunks at the rear of the van, They can pull the curtains across, we also have a door which swings across and becomes a partition door, like a separate room, though we never use it.

Again in the van they normally sleep when they are tired, after all being away in the van is meant to be fun, so not too regimented. If it is getting late we send them to their bunks with a book or a DVD or movie to watch, but they generally quickly nod off.

When our little lad was just 1 or 2, we used to let him fall asleep on the side sofa in the dinette area, then when he was sound we would transfer him to his bunk. We are lucky, as once both boys go to sleep they would sleep through a riot, so we don't need to wander round on tiptoes talking in whispers.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The classic U shaped lounge, much loved by British motorhome manufacturers, is great for kids, it means that at night you will often have two separate areas that can be used so normal'ish' bed-times can be adhered to. That said, full on play, romps and cycles etc for 12 hours at time helped us tucker them out so getting the kids to sleep was never really an issue. We always followed them to sleep very shortly after :Smile:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
We regulary have taken our grandson's away with us from the age of one. Thier now nealy four and just over four. They sleep on the dienette bed leaving us to the rear loung.
we made up an high edge with one of the extra bed cushions and held it in place with fitted sheet. It works great they cant roll out and it makes them feel safe. Mind you mornings are allways time for a cudle with granny whilst granddad makes the tea.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The classic U shaped lounge, much loved by British motorhome manufacturers, is great for kids, it means that at night you will often have two separate areas that can be used so normal'ish' bed-times can be adhered to. That said, full on play, romps and cycles etc for 12 hours at time helped us tucker them out so getting the kids to sleep was never really an issue. We always followed them to sleep very shortly after :Smile:
when out and abut keeping him growing I am usually in bead before him:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back