St Botolph's Church, Skidbrooke cum Saltfleet (1 Viewer)

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A couple of photos from inside the church

St Botolph's Church, Skidbrooke, is a redundant Anglican church near the village of Skidbrooke, Lincolnshire, England. It is designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
It stands in an isolated position in the Lincolnshire marshlands, about 7 miles (11 km) northeast of Louth, and to the west of the A1031 road.
The church dates from the early 13th century, with alterations and additions in the 14th and 15th centuries, in 1854 and 1871, and during the 20th century.It was declared redundant in November 1973.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
It very sad to see.

They did a similar thing to the church we were married in 45 years ago - decided it was not viable due to falling congregations. So they shut it up for a number of years - deconsecrated it then it was used as a carpentry type workshop for a while without altering the structure at all then a couple of years back it was converted to a vets practice with major changes to the roof and internal structure - the surrounding churchyard is slowing being returned to a grassy field as time limits on graves allow the stones to be moved

OP
OP
F

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A group of people from the village look after this church , there have been reports of it been used for satanic worhship, its all open and anybody can go in

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I don't know this particular church but I do have a non expert interest in church and religous architecture, mostly in France and the Iberian peninsula. One day I will get round exploring more of the old churches etc in the UK, big problem though is the damage caused by Henry V111, then Cromwell and the puritans.

Incidentally I spent many happy holidays as a small child at Salfleet in the early 1950's, always in a static caravan.

A few things that I remember are the dunes, rabbit warrens totally devoid of rabbits due to mixametosis, a bombing target out to sea and a 'gamekeepers?' hut.

At the time there was no protection of the dunes and we had great fun jumping off the top and rolling down the steep sand.......happy memories.:Smile:

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Nice shots.. the black and white really seems to help with clarity and balancing out the brighter areas from the darker. the resultant look seems almost sketch like.

Good going mate.

OP
OP
F

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I don't know this particular church but I do have a non expert interest in church and religous architecture, mostly in France and the Iberian peninsula. One day I will get round exploring more of the old churches etc in the UK, big problem though is the damage caused by Henry V111, then Cromwell and the puritans.

Incidentally I spent many happy holidays as a small child at Salfleet in the early 1950's, always in a static caravan.

A few things that I remember are the dunes, rabbit warrens totally devoid of rabbits due to mixametosis, a bombing target out to sea and a 'gamekeepers?' hut.

At the time there was no protection of the dunes and we had great fun jumping off the top and rolling down the steep sand.......happy memories.:Smile:

the dunes are still there and the rabbits have recovered from the mixi, the bombing range is still there and is now home to one of the largest grey seal colonies :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back