Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
hi well i get my home back next wk sundance 630l yr2005

iv had it for 2 yrs + last time i look under neath it was ok ab june /now that was ok then but oct /nov i look under neath notice ply was wet so had it check it was wet more than i thought
this is the report and i had it done------ As you are aware we have had to carry out very much more work than was anticipated .

The damp and rot of the floor that had been originally found by all of us extended further into the floor structure and so more rotted material had to be removed.

Under the sink unit we found that the floor ply and timber was damaged rearwards to and including the side door step , up the side wall within the sink unit and then across the floor past the main chassis members.

At the offside front the rot of the inside and outside floor ply extended inboard and the water tank and the metal frame for the seat restraints had to be removed to ensure that all of the rotten timber and ply was removed . The side wall was also affected.

Within the rear nearside seat base we found that a previous repair had been made but not very well and so we had to remove that material and make good and then the rotten timber and floor ply forward to the wheel arch.

The side wall in this area was also affected and replaced.

The floor at the rear offside was replaced .

We have removed and sealed both sets of side skirts . The prime reason for the water ingress and subsequent rot along and into the floor is that the side skirts were not sealed and so when water ran behind the skirts it then penetrated the edge of the floor and could not escape or dry out because of the vinyl finish that had been applied to the floor from new.

LOOK AT THIS

We are finding more examples of water ingress in these areas on other customers vehicles.

You can understand that we have therefore taken a lot more time to replace not just the under layer of the rotten floor but also the inner floor ply, wall ply and surrounding timber framework.

Once started there was no option but to do the work fully and correctly .

We have not injected the floor with adhesive as we had agreed as it was more important at this time to concentrate on the rot repair.

The final invoice will now be £ -------40 including vat and I will prepare the invoice for you .

It is essential that we carry out a check of our work within 3 months of your collection .

This can be done whilst you wait by prior arrangement.

We would then need to inspect the motorhome within a further 9 months to comply with our 12 month warranty.

It is strongly recommended that the motorhome is fully checked every 12 months thereafter to ensure that any water ingress to any part of the motorhome body structure is resolved immediately .

Naturally if at any time you are concerned about water ingress then we would be pleased to carry out further additional checks and be able to say that there is no problem rather than you leave it and find a problem later.

We will be completing the work on Monday morning and we will then carry out final checks and cleaning so that you can collect the motorhome on Wednesday 22 January.

I will ensure that our leading technician – Gary- will be available to explain in detail all of the work that has been completed and the reasons for this work on collection.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Swift know about this and promised to sort it out!!!!! that was ages ago

just Google "swift motorhome rotten floor"

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Also have a search on here,, the problem affects all Swift models circa 2005/6/7 also reports on some 2009 ones--it came about with swift changingthe floor and not sealing the side skirts allowing water to run down between the van side and skirt ending up with the floor soaking up water :Smile:
Swift promised to repair as and when the vans presented themselves but now reports are going around that they will not repair :Eeek: saying out of warranty, despite promises at the time this would not happen :winky:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
2bob
Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
Also have a search on here,, the problem affects all Swift models circa 2005/6/7 also reports on some 2009 ones--it came about with swift changingthe floor and not sealing the side skirts allowing water to run down between the van side and skirt ending up with the floor soaking up water :Smile:
Swift promised to repair as and when the vans presented themselves but now reports are going around that they will not repair :Eeek: saying out of warranty, despite promises at the time this would not happen :winky:
terry

you so right
15/10/201

2005 Sundance 630L - SB S/N:/MH7947

Thank you for your e-mail.

I appreciate your disappointment in relation to discovering the water ingress on your motorhome.

I have reviewed your case, and I can confirm that your 2005 motorhome was despatched with a 3 year warranty, as your Sundance is now 8 years old and 5 years outside it’s manufacturers warranty we are not in a position to assist you with the costs associated with the remedial work required on your motorhome floor.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you were anticipating, however, please be assured of our best intentions at all times.

If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me by return e-mail or on telephone number 01482 875740 and I will be happy to help you.

Yours sincerely

Samantha Omond
Escalations Team

OP
OP
2bob
Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
i know this was 2010 but hey i did try
Andy,

You are correct, this is a know problem and where a customer has an issue (even outside the normal warranty period) will try to resolve it. Unfortunately, the issue does not affect every MH, so Johns advice of checking regularly is a fair one.

Should you find a problem, please let us know and we will be in touch.

Thanks,

Ash
► Reply

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I believe I still have a copy of the original promise reply by Swift that clearly states there intention to repair even after warranty had ended--This question was asked when people who bought Swifts were worried about resale values -- As time goes on there worries are proving to be based on false promises :Eeek:
Unfortunately anyone buying a circa 2005 Swift needs to check the floors or face a large bill :winky:Anyone selling a swift may find a rather large drop in the value of there van if it has not been picked up before
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back