Various hospital appts. fulfilled ! All pigs fed and ready to fly ! (1 Viewer)

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Thinking of an extended trip to Caledonia commencing April ! ( Around the coast starting at Edinburgh, along the top then onto the Hebrides, around 8 weeks !) What is the weather like at that time of year ? Googled it but not much info there !:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Horizontal Rain, Snow,, Sleet and storm force winds, and Mr Fishman whinging about how cruel the dreaded ENGGGGGGLISH are ,

Oh happy days!

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Best time of the year to go up there, we're off to Bonny Scotland when we come back from Malaga, might see you up there then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
As someone who is actually here (not like those other replies) it's been drizzly this afternoon but is going to be nice tomorrow. We have not had any of the extremes that you lot down south have had:thumb:

Give us a wave as you pass along the Moray Firth coast

Phil

It's normally nice in the springtime too (just re-read your post)

Last edited:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
:thumb:We go to North West Scotland and the Islands, almost every year in May/June.
Almost always have good settled weather, and just a bit early for midges.

Usually better weather than South, if the air pressure is high.
We often find that it is warmer in the North than in other parts of the UK, and even the Continent in May. April can also be quite good weather wise. You will also have the benefit of very long daylight hours and short nights, and no crowds.

Couple all this with magnificent scenery, and freedom to wander
I wonder why we rush off to the continent at this time of year.

This year we will be up around the far North and the Hebrides for all of May, Just planning ferry crossings at the moment.

Perhaps see you there.:thumb:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
It will put hair on your chest, happiness in your heart and peace in your life.

One nice day in Scotland is worth a lifetime anywhere else.

Enjoy.

PS you shouldn't miss the Southwest and the Borders

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
It will put hair on your chest, happiness in your heart and peace in your life.

One nice day in Scotland is worth a lifetime anywhere else.

Enjoy.

PS you shouldn't miss the Southwest and the Borders

I am hoping to make it to Scotland soon and I like the idea of happiness and peace, though I am not sure about the other bit !! - Sue

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
April can be lovely in Scotland, lots of months can be lovely in Scotland, but going up the east coast from Edinburgh is a nice route with lots to see. It's just your luck with regards to weather, although I always think that the east coast is drier, if colder than the west coast. Personally I'm more of a west coast fan than the east, but I can recommend the East Neuk of Fife, with Elie, Crail, Pittenweem, Anstruther (super fish & chips) take the boat trip from here out to the Isle of May:thumb:

As philw111 said we certainly haven't suffered the extremes that the south and south-west have:thumb:

Have a good trip whenever you go. We're off up to Edinburgh CC site again at the end of this week for a break in the van and looking forward to that.

Margaret & Bill

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Any suggestions ???

April can be lovely in Scotland, lots of months can be lovely in Scotland, but going up the east coast from Edinburgh is a nice route with lots to see. It's just your luck with regards to weather, although I always think that the east coast is drier, if colder than the west coast. Personally I'm more of a west coast fan than the east, but I can recommend the East Neuk of Fife, with[HI][HI] Elie, Crail, Pittenweem, Anstruther (super fish & chips)[/HI][/HI] take the boat trip from here out to the Isle of May:thumb:

As philw111 said we certainly haven't suffered the extremes that the south and south-west have:thumb:

Have a good trip whenever you go. We're off up to Edinburgh CC site again at the end of this week for a break in the van and looking forward to that.

Margaret & Bill

Just looked at Google Earth, these look great stops..:thumb: What are the chances of stopping overnight on various car park along the East coast ! I have overnighted along the North, West and Islands before and never had a problem ! But what about the East ?:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
After Fife head for Perth, head across to Pitlochry, Callender area, and breathe in the Trossachs, "Glorious". Then up thro Brechin take a left through Edzell to Fettercairn, Over the Cairn o' Mount road "Now you have the hair on your chest", she is a steep road to the top, but if it's clear, a wonderful view, arrive Banchory. Pop along the road for a cuppie of tea at Balmoral, Watch the blooming corgis snappy wee brutes ! (Probably closed this time of year but a bonny road up to it)

Head up to Grantown on Spey for a dram or two (Distillery Tours). Then I will let the lads up North guide you from there on.

You won't want to go home, especially if the sun blesses you !

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just looked at Google Earth, these look great stops..:thumb: What are the chances of stopping overnight on various car park along the East coast ! I have overnighted along the North, West and Islands before and never had a problem ! But what about the East ?:thumb::thumb::thumb:

We've yet to try the "off site" overnighting, so can't really comment on stops in carparks. When we went up to the East Neuk of Fife last, we stayed a week at the Sauchope Links site, it's right on the coast with great views out across the Firth of Forth and it's handy for many places of interest and handy for St. Andrews. Just a 10 - 15 minute walk from the site into Crail along the coastal path. Prices from £19 per night in April though.
We haven't plucked up the courage to "wild camp" anywhere as yet:Sad:
http://www.largoleisure.co.uk/holiday-parks/sauchope-links-park/park-gallery/

Margaret

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We have been up to the NW of Scotland during April for the last couple of years, had very little rain or bad weather at that time, it even got up to just over 20 deg, even though there was still snow on the Mountain tops.

Beautiful time to go north and do some wilding....:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
might bump into each other we are off to scotland around the same time who knows its a small world safe roads

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back