Is LPG a cheaper way of running a motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie but did own one in 2003. Been into camping for many years.
Hi guys/gals,

With diesel not being cheap, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get an LPG tank fitted to my motorhome (when I get one, that is! :RollEyes:) to power it rather than use batteries and hookups. I'm not talking about a conversion to actually drive the motorhome, but just as a power source to run all the devices like the fridge, tv and lights etc.

Would this be a better long term idea? (I know there would be the initial cost in getting it fitted, then the cost of topping up). Or would getting solar panels fitted be a better/cheaper way? I'm guessing solar panels only charge up leisure batteries and won't sustain prolonged use of electrical devices whereas a full tank of LPG would be able to power devices for many days (or even weeks!?) at a time. Is this correct?

I'm planning on mainly wild camping rather than staying on designated camping sites and I don't want to be left out in the cold/dark! I also hope to use it all year round and in all weathers too. What sort of motorhome/devices would best suit my needs for this? Is there anything that I simply must have (or not have) or anything I should always do in order to accomplish this?

I look forward to your input and any advice is appreciated. :Smile:

Thanks!

OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I've not seen a gas run TV and gas lights went out of fashion years ago

Mike
:whatthe: You know what I mean!!

Sensible answers everyone please.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I guess you mean LPG to power a generator then? to charge your batteries for your TV and lighting etc :roflmto:

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
No I don't.
Look forward to reading sensible answers

Mike

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
With me having an American motorhome, it`s a petrol engine. It`s converted to run on LPG, which as you rightly say, is cheaper than diesel, and unleaded.
It also has a separate lpg tank, which runs the heating, and the hob/cooker, and fridge.
The lpg will not provide electric for tv, toaster etc etc
For that you need hook up, battery power, generator
If your wilding a lot, solar is great. If your at sites, hook up is easy.
If your wilding, and its not sunny, batteries/genny is the way.
A genny could run on petrol/diesel/lpg

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think the answers were somewhat sensible, pointing out that a leisure battery can only do so much. Just about every motorhome that I know of has LPG tanks in one form or another - ranging from calor gas tanks to built under fixed tanks. Both have similar capacity plus or minus 10-20 litres!

LPG will power, fridge, cooking, hot water and heating and that is about it. Leisure battery has to power lights and everything else, and needs to be substantial if you are going to watch telly, power laptops etc.

A generator is usually a good option, depending on nearness of neighbours. Hope that helps

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You would be better getting solar panels and a bank of batteries ( 4 x 110Ah) to power your led lights and tv if your going to be away from mains for long periods. LPG will power your fridge and heating but if you have a fan in the heater system, it will use 12v.
A quiet generator is also a good idea to top your batteries up if need be ( when the sun doesn't shine, so, most of the time in the UK:winky:)
Permanently fitted or refillable lpg tanks are the cheapest option and you can also get an adapter to use bottled gas if you can't fill the tank. LPG or Autogas is cheap at about 72p a litre. Half the cost of a pre filled bottle of gas, but you need to do a bit of research to make sure you know which garages sell it.
I just filled the tank on mine. 22 litres at a cost of £16. less than half the cost of a 13kg propane bottle round here.

Allan

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

A great way to endear yourself to the members here....daft answers are just part of the fun on this forum and the FUN attitude:winky:

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
LPG conversions to a diesel engine a bit of a no no, costly and only uses a small percentage of LPG.
On a big American petrol RV engine , well worth it if covering plenty of miles.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In Answer to the opening question.
If it was everyone would be doing it and we'd all know about it. :thumb:

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Honestly, we are here to help, some of the humour is good as well. Just ask away - :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
You would be better getting solar panels and a bank of batteries ( 4 x 110Ah) to power your led lights and tv if your going to be away from mains for long periods. LPG will power your fridge and heating but if you have a fan in the heater system, it will use 12v.
A quiet generator is also a good idea to top your batteries up if need be ( when the sun doesn't shine, so, most of the time in the UK:winky:)
Permanently fitted or refillable lpg tanks are the cheapest option and you can also get an adapter to use bottled gas if you can't fill the tank. LPG or Autogas is cheap at about 72p a litre. Half the cost of a pre filled bottle of gas, but you need to do a bit of research to make sure you know which garages sell it.
I just filled the tank on mine. 22 litres at a cost of £16. less than half the cost of a 13kg propane bottle round here.

Allan
Thanks for that Allan. :thumb: So, roughly how long will that last you then?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
LPG conversions to a diesel engine a bit of a no no, costly and only uses a small percentage of LPG.
On a big American petrol RV engine , well worth it if covering plenty of miles.
Cheers Larry. :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
With me having an American motorhome, it`s a petrol engine. It`s converted to run on LPG, which as you rightly say, is cheaper than diesel, and unleaded.
It also has a separate lpg tank, which runs the heating, and the hob/cooker, and fridge.
The lpg will not provide electric for tv, toaster etc etc
For that you need hook up, battery power, generator
If your wilding a lot, solar is great. If your at sites, hook up is easy.
If your wilding, and its not sunny, batteries/genny is the way.
A genny could run on petrol/diesel/lpg
Thanks for the reply. As you can see from my profile and lack of knowledge, I'm a newbie and I don't know about the various power sources for motorhomes, hence my original question. I was thinking that these LPG tanks that can be installed was just the same as having a diesel generator, only it would work out cheaper in the long term? :Blush:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I think the answers were somewhat sensible, pointing out that a leisure battery can only do so much. Just about every motorhome that I know of has LPG tanks in one form or another - ranging from calor gas tanks to built under fixed tanks. Both have similar capacity plus or minus 10-20 litres!

LPG will power, fridge, cooking, hot water and heating and that is about it. Leisure battery has to power lights and everything else, and needs to be substantial if you are going to watch telly, power laptops etc.

A generator is usually a good option, depending on nearness of neighbours. Hope that helps
Yes, and thanks for the reply and sensible answer DuxDeluxe. :thumb: I am still a tad confused though! :Doh: What's the difference between a diesel generator you buy and stick outside your motorhome to power stuff and getting an LGV one that is installed under the motorhome? Why can't this power tv's etc? :Eeek:

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, and thanks for the reply and sensible answer DuxDeluxe. :thumb: I am still a tad confused though! :Doh: [HI]What's the difference between a diesel generator you buy and stick outside your motorhome to power stuff and getting an LGV one that is installed under the motorhome?[/HI] Why can't this power tv's etc? :Eeek:

Hi Kryten

If you just stand a generator outside you have to get it out and plug it in, chain it up so nobody nicks it, check and refill fuel, start it up when you need power, stop the dog peeing on it etc etc.

If you have a LPG generator properly installed in a vacant space under the floor or in a locker then you dont worry about setting it up and chaining it to a lamp post, it will use LPG from your on board supply for heating and cooking and it will be set up to start automatically when you need the power.

The only other thing to remember with generators is not to park near anybody else as they are noisy and smelly. A better option for me (and more expensive) is a battery bank and inverter and then some sort of fuel cell charging the batteries when solar is not doing its stuff.

Martin

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kryton, lets start from beginnings99% of vans come with onboard chargers (electric hook up-ehu ) to charge the leisure battery (lb) while on ehu, this will power almost everything in the van direct from power coming into the van. When not on ehu everything is powered from the lb or gas or combination of both.
off ehu the fridge will run off gas as will hot water and heating but they will need some power from lb -- lights etc will also use lb -- most people also run a 12v tv from lb.
All vans are different but ours has only 1x lb @110 amp which runs all heating, hot water , and fridge (all with gas) lights tv etc are all 12v we mange 2 nights with 4 hrs ish tv per night without problem.Adding another lb will double this time to 4 days and if you find yourself in this position a extra lb is by far the cheapest way to go :thumb:
The lb, s are charged from the engine while running -or ehu when pluged in
the fridge will also work on 12v off engine while running-not running= gas or ehu.
There are variable's to this but the above are basically on most vans
terry

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Also, an alternative to LPG is diesel, which is obviously more readily available. You can use diesel for space heating, water heating and cooking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi Kryten

If you just stand a generator outside you have to get it out and plug it in, chain it up so nobody nicks it, check and refill fuel, start it up when you need power, stop the dog peeing on it etc etc.

If you have a LPG generator properly installed in a vacant space under the floor or in a locker then you dont worry about setting it up and chaining it to a lamp post, it will use LPG from your on board supply for heating and cooking and it will be set up to start automatically when you need the power.

The only other thing to remember with generators is not to park near anybody else as they are noisy and smelly. A better option for me (and more expensive) is a battery bank and inverter and then some sort of fuel cell charging the batteries when solar is not doing its stuff.

Martin
Excellent stuff. This is the sort of thing I was thinking of. Thanks for the info funflair. :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi Kryton, lets start from beginnings99% of vans come with onboard chargers (electric hook up-ehu ) to charge the leisure battery (lb) while on ehu, this will power almost everything in the van direct from power coming into the van. When not on ehu everything is powered from the lb or gas or combination of both.
off ehu the fridge will run off gas as will hot water and heating but they will need some power from lb -- lights etc will also use lb -- most people also run a 12v tv from lb.
All vans are different but ours has only 1x lb @110 amp which runs all heating, hot water , and fridge (all with gas) lights tv etc are all 12v we mange 2 nights with 4 hrs ish tv per night without problem.Adding another lb will double this time to 4 days and if you find yourself in this position a extra lb is by far the cheapest way to go :thumb:
The lb, s are charged from the engine while running -or ehu when pluged in
the fridge will also work on 12v off engine while running-not running= gas or ehu.
There are variable's to this but the above are basically on most vans
terry
Thanks for this info terry. I'm a little bit more educated now. :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Also, an alternative to LPG is diesel, which is obviously more readily available. You can use diesel for space heating, water heating and cooking.
Thanks for the info Ed, but although diesel is far more readily available, it's also more than twice as much as LPG though which isn't much of a selling point as far as I can see.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

actualy, your question is misleading.

LPG can only power electrical items...tv etc...if fed into an LPG converted generator.
Obviously it will power heating, cooling (fridge) and cooking as it is.

Back to the questin.

An underslung LPG tank is the most cost efficient method of using gas once the initial instalation outlay is recouped.

Bottled gas is expensive and obviously need periodic changing whereas a tank will/can hold a lot more so requires less refilling and the cost per liter is whatever you pay at the fuel pump.

Another advantage of a tank....you need only put in what you need.
Could be a full tank or just a top up of a few liters.

A bottle would be empty, possibly at an inconvenient time, before changing...or forfiet whatever gas is remaining if not empty..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back