All my solar kit has arrived! (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
After much toing and froing, panicking and fretting and absolutely superb advice and guidance from our Techno100 (many thanks Andy) and Vlad the great impaler, all my solar kit has now landed.
2x100w panels, 20a MPPT controller with remote screen/control, end spoiler mounting brackets, fuse boxes, 6mm cable, ends, screws, Sikaflex, activator, etc etc. I even ended up with a mini 12v solar (briefcase) charger toboot.
:thumb:
Oh' I can feel myself getting all 'environmental' and 'dreadlocked' here, where's the trees to start hugging, chanting and my patchouli oil......
:roflmto:

Now waiting patiently (read finger tapping) for a bit of fine (but not too cold) weather. Fitting the controller and cabling tomorrow. The 2x100w panels are going to be cabled up in series to give 24v and the MPPT will bring this to 12v to charge my 2 x 110ah batteries in parallel.

I have removed a great roof rack to fit the system - will be up for sale if anyone is after a cracking roof rack,,,, not a cheapy either.::bigsmile:

I am REALLY, REALLY looking forward to this project. Harri Kryshna!

Trikeman. :winky:

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I'm thinking of getting rid of my solar & replacing it with a water wheel :RollEyes:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I am now expecting an eclipse that will last for weeks:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hope it all goes well Kev, :thumb:
As for advice and guidance that's what this forum is all about.After all I picked up all mine from a local Andyman !:Smile:

Vlad

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
After much toing and froing, panicking and fretting and absolutely superb advice and guidance from our Techno100 (many thanks Andy) and Vlad the great impaler, all my solar kit has now landed.
2x100w panels, 20a MPPT controller with remote screen/control, end spoiler mounting brackets, fuse boxes, 6mm cable, ends, screws, Sikaflex, activator, etc etc. I even ended up with a mini 12v solar (briefcase) charger toboot.
Oh' I can feel myself getting all 'environmental' and 'dreadlocked' here, where's the trees to start hugging, chanting and my patchouli oil......

Now waiting patiently (read finger tapping) for a bit of fine (but not too cold) weather. Fitting the controller and cabling tomorrow. The 2x100w panels are going to be cabled up in series to give 24v and the MPPT will bring this to 12v to charge my 2 x 110ah batteries in parallel.

I have removed a great roof rack to fit the system - will be up for sale if anyone is after a cracking roof rack,,,, not a cheapy either.::bigsmile:

Hi what kit did you go for and how much was it if you dont mind me asking
pete

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Which MPPT controller did you go for?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
are you sure about conecting in series as panels give out 18volts i htought they were normal wired in paralel therefore producing 18v s at higher ampage than a single panel and the controlller drops this to the required voltage for the battery

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years

Sounds like a great kit, very similar to mine. But why series?
Did the kit by any chance contain a box of sun?

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
are you sure about conecting in series as panels give out 18volts i htought they were normal wired in paralel therefore producing 18v s at higher ampage than a single panel and the controlller drops this to the required voltage for the battery

The point about MPPT controllers is that the input voltage can be much higher, some up to 150Volts.

The popular Victron BlueSolar Charge controller MPPT 75/15 installation manual is here Broken Link Removed

The manual states:
12V battery and mono- or polycristalline panels
● Minimum number of cells in series: 36 (12V panel).
● Recommended number of cells for highest controller efficiency: 72
(2x 12V panel in series or 1x 24V panel).
● Maximum: 108 cells (3x 12V panel in series).
Increasing the voltage instead of the current minimises the cable loss.

Gordon

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
The point about MPPT controllers is that the input voltage can be much higher, some up to 150Volts.

The popular Victron BlueSolar Charge controller MPPT 75/15 installation manual is here Broken Link Removed

The manual states:
12V battery and mono- or polycristalline panels
● Minimum number of cells in series: 36 (12V panel).
● Recommended number of cells for highest controller efficiency: 72
(2x 12V panel in series or 1x 24V panel).
● Maximum: 108 cells (3x 12V panel in series).
Increasing the voltage instead of the current minimises the cable loss.

Gordon

Uummmmm! What Gordon said :roflmto:

I have been recommended to fit them in series by the suppliers, you could reduce the size of the cable cross section with the 'in series' set-up. However, all guns blazing, I'm going for the 6mm cable AND the in series set-up. As stated above, the MPPT controller will take what the panels can throw at it and give the best output to the leisure batteries.

Regards,

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Which MPPT controller did you go for?

Hi Addie,
I went for the 20amp Tracer MPPT controller - if you have a look at the 'Trikeman's solar diary' thread I have put a photo of it there, complete with it's remote control screen.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back