Home weather stations ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've had a basic cheap weather station for a few years , but was thinking on getting something a bit better .. with wind speed and direction, rainfall, humidity, temp and pressure.. I would also want to log the data on a PC..

I've looked at dozens and have almost decided on this one..

http://www.skyview.co.uk/acatalog/DAV_6250UK.html

anyone have one could offer advice on this or other makes/models ?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That looks like a nice gadget.:thumb: I like weather stations. We have this one in the van, stare at it loads::bigsmile:

I had one in the RV.. bought it from Lidl in 2006 .. about £20 .. When we moved into the house it came with us .. but sadly it packed up a couple of weeks ago.. and I miss it.. so a great excuse to buy something a bit better .. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I've had a basic cheap weather station for a few years , but was thinking on getting something a bit better .. with wind speed and direction, rainfall, humidity, temp and pressure.. I would also want to log the data on a PC..

I've looked at dozens and have almost decided on this one..

http://www.skyview.co.uk/acatalog/DAV_6250UK.html

Wow Jim that looks the business, so we will know where to come for the forecast when heading for East Anglia.:winky:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This is been on my 'wish list' for a while - but nobody has bought me it yet!
Broken Link Removed

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
This is mine :Smile:

weather-stone-d.jpg

Last edited:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-

I've been running a weatherstation here now since 2001: Search for a weather station online and the choices are endless, and when it comes to spending your money, the more you spend the better the quality - and reliability. I am now on my second station as such, both have been manufactured by Davis Instruments who are widely recognised as the market leaders in the technology. Many come with the facility to download to your computer, and the one I currently use, a Davis VP2 (Vantage Pro2) if used with a "datalogger" continually streams weather conditions every minute to the web but by-passes the computer in doing so, and you don't have to have your own website to display it online. There are a huge number of variables depending on what you want it for, and how 'serious' your interest in the weather is.
However, I am able to recommend a company called Prodata. They have a superb website on weather station technology, and supply various stations to order with Davis providing most of them. Behind the scenes is a guy called John Dann, and believe me, he provides a wealth of knowledge, experience and back-up if and when little glitches or problems arise. (I once had a problem with my anemometer: he sent me a brand new one to test the system without having to commit to buy one if the fault was elsewhere) Highly recommended! Any queries - just ask.

http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Country file is pretty good for the weeks forecast then BBC weather for our daily summery. Other than that have a look at the sky. Works for me. Today is dry with sunny periods light winds and the ground is water logged.:helptitanic: What more do we need to know.:winky: Nearly forgot...for all those holidaying in Spain...it is pi$$ing down.:Smile::rain:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've been running a weatherstation here now since 2001: Search for a weather station online and the choices are endless, and when it comes to spending your money, the more you spend the better the quality - and reliability. I am now on my second station as such, both have been manufactured by Davis Instruments who are widely recognised as the market leaders in the technology. Many come with the facility to download to your computer, and the one I currently use, a Davis VP2 (Vantage Pro2) if used with a "datalogger" continually streams weather conditions every minute to the web but by-passes the computer in doing so, and you don't have to have your own website to display it online. There are a huge number of variables depending on what you want it for, and how 'serious' your interest in the weather is.
However, I am able to recommend a company called Prodata. They have a superb website on weather station technology, and supply various stations to order with Davis providing most of them. Behind the scenes is a guy called John Dann, and believe me, he provides a wealth of knowledge, experience and back-up if and when little glitches or problems arise. (I once had a problem with my anemometer: he sent me a brand new one to test the system without having to commit to buy one if the fault was elsewhere) Highly recommended! Any queries - just ask.

Thank you very much.. will have a look at the Prodata website :thumb:

pat101

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
cornwall
Funster No
Exp
Jim,

I have had the sky view for a couple of years now, its been totally reliable in that time although I never use it to its full potential.

The main reason I purchased this one is the range. I have the out side bit mounted some way off on top of a barn.

Hope this helps.

Pat.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
You are all mugs !!

All these devices tell you what you can see out of the window !! Maybe !!

Deal with it !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't find any clips on youTube so the script will have to suffice;

VYVYAN: [looking at window] Five past eleven and it's still raining. I wonder how hard it is?
RICK: I think it's probably not very hard seeing how it's only made of water!

[VYVYAN snatches the comic, rips it in half, and throws it in RICKS lap]
VYVYAN: I'm going to find out anyway.
[VYVYAN walks over to the window and opens the pane. He sticks his glass of tea out the window, holds it out for a few seconds, and pulls it back in. The glass is covered in phlegm]
VYVYAN: It's only spitting!

later...

[NEIL enters carrying two kittens. He places them down as he pulls more kittens from his pockets]
NEIL: I've never seen rain like this.

Written by Ben Elton, Rik Mayall, and Lise Mayer
Additional material by Alexei Sayle
BBC, 1984

They don't write 'em like that any more.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

Nice kit, I have the Plus version. Part of my duties in my last job was to record and submit weather reports hourly to the Met office and when I left work, I missed the kit, so bought my own. Its pretty comprehensive, but you can get good weather stations for a lot less. My first one was an Oregon Scientific WMR928NX which I bought about 5 years ago, still going strong alongside my Vantage kit.

Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back