lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
before I started the interior rebuild of my bus it had been fully carpet lined ceiling and walls with a good quality liner in a dark grey/blue colour, managed to salvage the full lot when stripping bus out (hate throwing stuff away)

now i quite liked the bus with the carpeted finish made it a bit darker and felt a bit cosier (I like dark colours, mainly wear black makes sorting the washing a lot easier lol )

the toilet/shower wont be carpet lined for ov reasons. are there any practical advantages or disadvantages having the bus fully carpet lined ( floor will be dark vinyl) I know one disadvantage is it cant be wiped clean

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
carpet catches dust but can be vacumed to clean or even steamed if you used the right glue. steaming kills any bugs and bacteria. panel van converters have used lining carpet for many years. carpet also helps deadening sound. a big van or bus vibrates like a drum on the road so any insulation helps

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
carpet catches dust but can be vacumed to clean or even steamed if you used the right glue. steaming kills any bugs and bacteria. panel van converters have used lining carpet for many years. carpet also helps deadening sound. a big van or bus vibrates like a drum on the road so any insulation helps
didnt think of the sound deading side of things. my main concern is i dont want it looking cheap and tacky

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Carpet lining will also make it warmer as they will add a layer of insulation to the side/ceiling, and also helps prevent any condensation which can form on plastic wall surfaces - we had this in a self-conversion of an ambulance and once I'd got the carpet lining of the walls finished we didn't have any more problems. I suppose really it depends on what the walls look like without the carpet too.

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Carpet lining will also make it warmer as they will add a layer of insulation to the side/ceiling, and also helps prevent any condensation which can form on plastic wall surfaces - we had this in a self-conversion of an ambulance and once I'd got the carpet lining of the walls finished we didn't have any more problems. I suppose really it depends on what the walls look like without the carpet too.

I have fully gutted the van as the mice had been in and needed to check the old wiring and rewire so I am starting from a empty shelll all new insulation and wall boards will be new

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
I am thinking as well of using melamine for building the kitchen instead of a trad caravan frame work just want something that feels abit more solid and longer lasting I know its heavier but I have a huge payload to play with and lost 300kgs in weight anyways by losing the hydraulic tailgate and the 2 of the 3 wooden floors

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back