LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, I have just checked the balance and call details on our Toggle phone and we are very impressed. I phoned home yesterday for over 7 minutes and the cost of the call was 0.24.

We were a little sceptical when we bought the sim card at the motorhome show, but everything it says is correct - very cheap calls from the Spanish number when we are in Spain, and the French number etc. The phone automatically changes to the country you are in.

You can top up online and everything is very simple and straightforward.

Ginny

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Ginny. Just a few questions if I may. I find it very difficult to quantify costs when using the net, I work toggle out to cost £15 / G byte for data !!! I don't really know if that is dear or not compared to normal prices here.. We want to be able to send Emails, but don't have a "smartphone" so I would have the simcard in the Huwei MIFI device and then use our apple macbook as previously in Spain and France.. We don't use the Internet much at all really.. Is there a time scale for the life of the sim ?? Or does it run until you have used your credit ?? Maybe I should ask Adam these questions as I believe he told you ?? but I hope you can help. All the best. Mitch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Ginny. Just a few questions if I may. I find it very difficult to quantify costs when using the net, I work toggle out to cost £15 / G byte for data !!! I don't really know if that is dear or not compared to normal prices here.. We want to be able to send Emails, but don't have a "smartphone" so I would have the simcard in the Huwei MIFI device and then use our apple macbook as previously in Spain and France.. We don't use the Internet much at all really.. Is there a time scale for the life of the sim ?? Or does it run until you have used your credit ?? Maybe I should ask "ADDIE"
I would not use the Toggle SIM card for data or in a MiFi device. It is primarily a card used for making and receiving calls as the price for MB of data while in Europe is 15p (still very good, since the EU cap is actually 45p).these questions as I believe he told you ?? but I hope you can help. All the best. Mitch.

The data package you can buy with Toggle (eg £10 for 2Gb) is valid ONLY IN THE UK
In Europe the cost of using the Toggle for accessing the internet is 15p per Mb used.

When used in comparison to the EuropaSIM card we sell which costs €3 (£2.50) for unlimited data (500Mb fair use at full speed, then browsing speeds) you would only use 17Mb before the EuropaSIM would work out cheaper then the Toggle and then you could go on and use the internet all day for the space price.

The Toggle is an excellent card for calls and can reduce your dependence on Skype for contact home. Your friends/family call your UK mobile number and you answer the call free anywhere in Europe (cost to them, same as a standard UK mobile call - so free if they have inclusive minutes).

There is some more information on our website but either I or Sophie would be happy to discuss them with you if you are still unsure. http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/

Hope that helps.

Adam
MotorhomeWiFi

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Adam. I take it that the Europa sim Is £2.50/day..?? We want fairly occasional use of the internet on an" as we want it " basis. And we would want something that lasts for at least 3 months.. Am I being thick or unrealistic.. I think my problem is trying to get a handle on just how much data we use to get X amount of info downloaded, I'm finding it very hard to judge/guess..

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Adam. I take it that the Europa sim Is £2.50/day..?? We want fairly occasional use of the internet on an" as we want it " basis. And we would want something that lasts for at least 3 months.. Am I being thick or unrealistic.. I think my problem is trying to get a handle on just how much data we use to get X amount of info downloaded, I'm finding it very hard to judge/guess..

The EuropaSIM is billed midnight-midnight central european time, charged only on the days you connect to the internet. For the EuropaSIM the only requirement to keep the sim active indefinitely is that you add credit within 365 days of the last day you added credit.

If you are unsure on how much data you use / need - I would highly recommend the EuropaSIM since if you 'exceed' the daily usage cap of 500Mb the only penalty is not a financial one - your speed slows until the next day and the next £2.50 charge you start a fresh.

Personally I have 500Mb on my phone and never get anywhere near it. 500Mb per day is a LOT of data - unless of course you watch video, download files (such as a new App or a Windows update) etc. The monitoring page of the EuropaSIM shows you how much data you have used so you know how fast you're going through it.

The Toggle SIM (for calls, remember) requires that you send a text message or make a chargeable call once every 90 days to keep it SIM active.

If you supplement the EuropaSIM with free WiFi when available or perhaps a local SIM card if you are able to tap into some local knowledge then its a good option for use in Europe.

Hope that helps,

Adam

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Toggle, it would seem, is not the cheap option for data...but I have used Toggle for phone calls for the last 15 months and very, very happy with it. Calls from Spain to UK, very cheap.

Would recommend. :Smile:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks all.. Just one more "thick" question, sorry... When browsing the net, does that count as data usage ??? Is that actual downloading...?? I think that if we took an "E sim" and only used it every other day, it would cost us £135 over the 3 months.... Thats a bit 'rich' for us, so I guess we will have to stick to Mac D's and internet cafes to use "Tinternet".. But the "toggle" sounds pretty good as long as you can keep your own original mobile number ?? Sorry to drone on about this folks, but better to sort prior to use, rather than "winge" about things after..!!! Mitch.. PS. Toggle now DO do data in Spain/France and the rest, nut it costs £0.15 per Mb, which is steep.. Mitch..

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks all.. Just one more "thick" question, sorry... When browsing the net, does that count as data usage ??? Is that actual downloading...??

Anything data passed to and from the internet - browsing the web, downloading, Facebook is all data usage.

I think that if we took an "E sim" and only used it every other day, it would cost us £135 over the 3 months....

Do you mean an EE SIM? That totally depends on how much data you use. If you have a contract phone with EE you are charged either 45p per Mb used. If you have an EE standard tariff then you can biy 200Mb of data for £35, valid over 30 days. If you have a 'roaming' tariff then you can buy 1Gb of data for £25 valid for 30 days.

More detail on roaming charges here:
Link Removed

But the "toggle" sounds pretty good as long as you can keep your own original mobile number ??

You can transfer your number from any UK network to Toggle, apart from THREE.

PS. Toggle now DO do data in Spain/France and the rest, nut it costs £0.15 per Mb, which is steep.. Mitch..

Actually 15p/Mb is very good value - the current EU roaming cap is 45p/Mb.

EuropaSIM is £2.50 for Unlimited Browsing (500Mb fair usage, after which speeds slow) so is the best option for pan-european data roaming at the moment. To see what UK providers charge, see the link above.

Adam

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
The EuropaSIM is billed midnight-midnight central european time, charged only on the days you connect to the internet. For the EuropaSIM the only requirement to keep the sim active indefinitely is that you add credit within 365 days of the last day you added credit.

If you are unsure on how much data you use / need - I would highly recommend the EuropaSIM since if you 'exceed' the daily usage cap of 500Mb the only penalty is not a financial one - your speed slows until the next day and the next £2.50 charge you start a fresh.

Personally I have 500Mb on my phone and never get anywhere near it. 500Mb per day is a LOT of data - unless of course you watch video, download files (such as a new App or a Windows update) etc. The monitoring page of the EuropaSIM shows you how much data you have used so you know how fast you're going through it.

The Toggle SIM (for calls, remember) requires that you send a text message or make a chargeable call once every 90 days to keep it SIM active.

If you supplement the EuropaSIM with free WiFi when available or perhaps a local SIM card if you are able to tap into some local knowledge then its a good option for use in Europe.

Hope that helps,

Adam

This all sounds good,but does the data have a "use it or lose it" time?
In other words, if I put £20 on but don't use it for 6months is it still there?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This all sounds good,but does the data have a "use it or lose it" time?
In other words, if I put £20 on but don't use it for 6months is it still there?

In terms of the EuropaSIM the only requirement to keep the card active and all the money current is that you add credit within 365 days of the last time you added credit. Provided you do this, all monies will remain in the card and the card will remain active.

For Toggle, you must make one chargeable call or text message once every 90 days.

Adam

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi,

A few questions as are planning on spending several weeks in France and Spain over the next year.

1. How much does it cost to make UK to UK calls (mobile)?
  2. How far in advance can I register for a Spanish and French number? Can I do this from the UK?
  3. What happens if someone calls my Spanish number while I am in France?

Thanks

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
  1. How much does it cost to make UK to UK calls (mobile)?

1. 3p per minute to both UK landlines and mobiles

1. How far in advance can I register for a Spanish and French number? Can I do this from the UK?

1. The 'free' numbers are valid for 30 days, after which you can go online and re-register for free (although your number will be different).

You can do it online, at any time, from any internet connection.

1. What happens if someone calls my Spanish number while I am in France?

Irrespective of what number the person who makes the call uses, the call is still free for you in France. People in the UK would use the UK number because it is cheaper for them and likewise if you was to register a Spanish number advise your friends/family in Spain to use that number as it is cheaper for them. The cost is nothing for you in France, UK or any of the other free incoming call countries.

They are:

Free incoming calls are available in: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

A 16p connection charge (but no per minute cost) applies in: Cambodia, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Kenya, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Nigeria, Romania, Slovenia, Thailand, Vietnam.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Adam, We are at La Manga and friends are asking if they can purchase the phone and sim card online and have it shipped over here.

They couldn't believe how cheap it was compared to their 24p per minute call on their normal mobile.

Could you please confirm the price for the phone and card and the cost of postage.

Thanks

Ginny

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Adam, We are at La Manga and friends are asking if they can purchase the phone and sim card online and have it shipped over here.

They couldn't believe how cheap it was compared to their 24p per minute call on their normal mobile.

Could you please confirm the price for the phone and card and the cost of postage.

Thanks

Ginny

Hi Ginny,

Just replied to your PM.

The Toggle SIM is £5 + 74p delivery to Spain.

I'll have to check if we have any phones left in stock (they were £20 including the SIM), but it may be cheaper to purchase an unlocked phone locally in Spain as to send a package we have to use International Signed For at £12.95.

Drop me a PM if you have any further questions. You can buy as many SIM cards as you like for 74p delivery on the website:

Link Removed

Kind regards,

Adam

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Another vote for toggle but if you are using i-phone or i-pad it is worth downloading the Opera mini app as it compresses your data by 70% or 80% and it has a data counter that you can keep resetting and it will log what you are using. Dont know about other operating systems.

Martin

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Another vote for toggle but if you are using i-phone or i-pad it is worth downloading the Opera mini app as it compresses your data by 70% or 80% and it has a data counter that you can keep resetting and it will log what you are using. Dont know about other operating systems.

Martin

Once you use 17Mb of data @ 15p per Mb, the EuropaSIM works out cheaper for unlimited data on that day. The Toggle SIM is only recommended for very very light data use, but if you are good at managing your data (we used to have 25Mb/day and never used it all with the old Vodafone Data Traveler) then it can be a good option.

Sadly the only devices where are geared up for low data use is Blackberrys - and Toggle doesn't support BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) so e-mail via a Blackberry on Toggle isn't possible :(

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks all.. Just one more "thick" question, sorry... When browsing the net, does that count as data usage ??? Is that actual downloading...?? I think that if we took an "E sim" and only used it every other day, it would cost us £135 over the 3 months.... Thats a bit 'rich' for us, so I guess we will have to stick to Mac D's and internet cafes to use "Tinternet".. But the "toggle" sounds pretty good as long as you can keep your own original mobile number ?? Sorry to drone on about this folks, but better to sort prior to use, rather than "winge" about things after..!!! Mitch.. PS. Toggle now DO do data in Spain/France and the rest, nut it costs £0.15 per Mb, which is steep.. Mitch..

We bought a MiFi "Let's Go" package from Orange in France. We had to fill in a form and send ID details to a place in France within 15 days. Otherwise we would have been cut off.

The package then came with a months internet use and was very good. I could top up at any Orange shop or you can buy a Lets Go top up at Maison le Presse but then the top up has to be activated by using a landline. Tried our mobile and that doesn't work.

What I do now is go to a tourist office and ask them to do the activation and give them the receipt. It is a free call so no one should object. The top up is 20€ for a month which is good. So far this works for me in France.

In Germany I have a Vodafone dongle and "Web Sessions" the good thing about that, I can Top Up online whereas I can't with the Orange one. The downside is its a dongle rather than MiFi so only I can use it with the laptop. Whereas the Orange MiFi I can use all devices.

I have yet to try anything in Spain.

My new EE Samsung Galaxy mini S4 allows me to make calls and text as part of my package, no extra charge. But not internet.

Apparently once abroad if I try to access the internet it will lead me to the web site to buy a data package. So I have yet to try that. Certainly the calls and texts are useful and is better than Vodfones £3 a day!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are in Spain at present and are using TPLink and Europa sim when site wifi is poor, it has worked well.
We are now at Tarifa and using I boost aimed at site wi fi for our I pads, brilliant :thumb: and I have a Ralink directional antenna with USB into my laptop for TV .
We purchased the I boost , TPLink and Europa sim from motorhome wifi :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
My sister in law lives in Austria, no landline and no internet but mobile phone which appears to be the way to go as landlines are expensive.

Am I correct in assuming that if she has a spare mobile with the toggle sim card, she can phone the UK landlines or mobiles cheaply, conversley can my wife phone her using landline or mobile at cheap rates?

Can it be a standard old type mobile phone?

Peter

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My sister in law lives in Austria, no landline and no internet but mobile phone which appears to be the way to go as landlines are expensive.

Am I correct in assuming that if she has a spare mobile with the toggle sim card, she can phone the UK landlines or mobiles cheaply, conversley can my wife phone her using landline or mobile at cheap rates?

Can it be a standard old type mobile phone?

Peter

Presently Austria is not a 'Toggle Country' and so she cannot benefit from cheap outgoing calls from Austria back to the UK.

However, if she had a Toggle SIM you could call her on her Toggle number - which would be a standard UK mobile number while she was in Austria - and it would cost her nothing to receive the call. It would only cost you making the call the same as a regular mobile call - which could well be free if you have a mobile / landline package which gives you inclusive minutes.

Calls back to the UK are 23p from Austria and 7p per SMS.

Any old unlocked phone should be fine :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Once you use 17Mb of data @ 15p per Mb, the EuropaSIM works out cheaper for unlimited data on that day. The Toggle SIM is only recommended for very very light data use, but if you are good at managing your data (we used to have 25Mb/day and never used it all with the old Vodafone Data Traveler) then it can be a good option.

Sadly the only devices where are geared up for low data use is Blackberrys - and Toggle doesn't support BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) so e-mail via a Blackberry on Toggle isn't possible :(

Hi Adam

I think that 17MB will go a long way using Opera Mini, but I take your point about Europa sim. I tend to switch data off unless I specifically want it so at least this limits the background use of i-phone etc.

Martin

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Addie
With the Toggle sim inserted and the relevant countries mobile numbers applied for, what is the process for crossing a border, for example going from France into Spain will the phone automaticaly recognise this or do you have to manually change settings?
On the Toggle FAQ site it suggests a manual process but doing a google I have seen comments suggesting otherwise..
Also how long is the process for migrating my UK number to Toggle?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Addie
With the Toggle sim inserted and the relevant countries mobile numbers applied for, what is the process for crossing a border, for example going from France into Spain will the phone automaticaly recognise this or do you have to manually change settings?
On the Toggle FAQ site it suggests a manual process but doing a google I have seen comments suggesting otherwise..
Also how long is the process for migrating my UK number to Toggle?

Hi Emmenay,

Personally I like to turn my device on and off after crossing a border, to force it to re-register on that countries network. Its not essential, but I think its good practice. There is no 'settings' that you would change on your phone, other to ensure that if you are 2 miles from the border you're not still connected to the wrong countries network, if you see what I mean.

I'm not sure how long the migration takes, the speed is usually in the hands of your original provider who is losing your business rather than Toggle - so it takes as long as they want it to take. Probably something like a week. Remember that you can't transfer your number if you are currently on the THREE network.

Hope this helps.

Adam

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Adam,

I have two friends who want to buy the Sim card and have it posted to La Manga. One of them has access to the Internet, but the other does not. Could you please confirm that he can top up by phone, or does it have to be onlilne. I will register and do the first top up on line for him.

Ginny

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Adam,

I have two friends who want to buy the Sim card and have it posted to La Manga. One of them has access to the Internet, but the other does not. Could you please confirm that he can top up by phone, or does it have to be onlilne. I will register and do the first top up on line for him.

Ginny

Hi Ginny,

I believe that you can topup via credit card by calling +44 7438 646321 but I cannot be sure. I would advise that you please verify this with toggle on cs@togglemobile.co.uk or try and do so on your own Toggle mobile to be sure.

However, someone with an internet connection will have to help him to register his card and to register for a Spanish number as this cannot be done over the phone. At the same time as doing this you could configure automatic topup so that once he gets down to his last £1-2 (you specify the amount) he is automatically topped up.

If he has friends/family back home, they can easily topup his account for him without logging into his account by using the quick topup page here: https://account.togglemobile.co.uk/quicktop-up.aspx?lang=en

Hope this helps,

Adam

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ginny,

I believe that you can topup via credit card by calling +44 7438 646321 but I cannot be sure. I would advise that you please verify this with toggle on cs@togglemobile.co.uk or try and do so on your own Toggle mobile to be sure.

However, someone with an internet connection will have to help him to register his card and to register for a Spanish number as this cannot be done over the phone. At the same time as doing this you could configure automatic topup so that once he gets down to his last £1-2 (you specify the amount) he is automatically topped up.

If he has friends/family back home, they can easily topup his account for him without logging into his account by using the quick topup page here: https://account.togglemobile.co.uk/quicktop-up.aspx?lang=en

do we buy the sims from you or toggle

Hope this helps,

Adam

do we buy the simles from you or toggle?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
do we buy the simles from you or toggle?

That depends if you think we've given good service or not :winky:

In all seriousness, if you're having them shipped to Spain we send them with no credit for £5. Toggle only sell them with credit for £25, so a bit more of a struggle to resolve if they go missing.

Adam

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Right, last question, is there a time limit on money you put on the phone, ie some top up phones will cancel your credit if it is not used in a certain amount of time?

Ginny

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Right, last question, is there a time limit on money you put on the phone, ie some top up phones will cancel your credit if it is not used in a certain amount of time?

Ginny

You need to make one chargeable call or text every 90 days or the SIM will be cancelled and you will lose any credit on the card. Provided this condition is met the monies will stay on the card indefinitely as far as I'm aware.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back