2013 Ducato Headlight Bulb Changing (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
While idling looking under the bonnet of our van this week I wondered how easy it would be to change a headlight bulb. I used to have a car where you had to remove the battery to change one of the bulbs but at first glance the Ducato is in a league of its own.

I bought a workshop manual on CD off E-Bay for £3.00 or thereabouts but when I looked on it all it said about headlight bulbs was a diagram showing you twisted them anti-clockwise! Not a lot of use when you can't even reach them, particularly the one on the right (drivers') side.

Looking on a Fiat forum for 2005 models and earlier you remove the headlights themselves first, after removing a bit of bodywork above the radiator. Does anyone know if this is how you do it on later models? I also had a look on YouTube but no luck there either.

It's a van conversion, 2013.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
modern headlight bulbs can be a nightmare to change cant they . quite a number of cars need to have the complete front bumper removed before you can even get at the bolts for the headlight unit . makes a mockery of european laws that insist you carry a spare bulb kit for emergency use doesnt it !!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If its the same as a 2013 Peugeot Boxer headlamp, then you have to remove the offside headlight, but it is quite easy.
If I remember correctly, with the bonnet up, you will see crosshead screws holding the top plastic cover (2) and the bottom trim (1). Take these out and carefully pop the trim off. Both pieces are held by clips, I used a long wide screwdriver to slide under the trim to release the clips, go carefully, the trim is bendy but must break at some point. Then, you can see the screws/bolts that hold the headlamp in place. Once these are out, the headlamp pops out. Make sure the clip at the back is in place properly when you put it back.

I found out how to do this because my offside headlamp wasn't located at the back properly from new!

Link Removed

Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Allan, that looks just like mine. I'll have a look tomorrow morning. Many thanks.
John

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've removed the top cover, discovering in the process the water drain by the windscreen wiper was blocked. Now unblocked.

P1100032.JPG

I can see the screw to remove but the bottom bit of trim is proving more difficult.

P1100035.JPG

After removing the screw shown the bit of trim is proving reluctant to come off. I got the top one off with a flat screw driver slid along the edge. Does the bottom one come off the same way? I am reluctant to use to much force.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
You just need to be firm but careful with it. I used a large long bladed screwdriver to free up the first catch. It is quite firm so a bit of levering is required. The second one comes off pretty easily, then the two at the end will need some careful jemmying, but you will have plenty of room by then.
Heres a couple of pictures, you will see what you are up against. Good luck.

Link Removed

and the back view of the trim.

Link Removed

Allan

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Allan, that's really helpful. I can see now where it is being held and with a long bladed screwdriver I should be able to get them off.

It's a bit like all the skill being in where to hit something not in the actual hitting. In this case the skill is where to pull or "rive" as they call it where I come from.

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
Headlights

Allanm............I note that you have tape on the front of the lamps to deflect when in european and those bits of tape look as though they are enclosed ina marked box, are these marks already on the headlights? I have the same headlights on my Boxer

Thanks Dave

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Allanm............I note that you have tape on the front of the lamps to deflect when in european and those bits of tape look as though they are enclosed ina marked box, are these marks already on the headlights? I have the same headlights on my Boxer

Thanks Dave

Dave, I can see from the pics that Allanm has the headlamp protectors fitted .... these usually come with the marked area to stick the tape.

You should not stick tape directly on to the plastic headlamps as the heat will cause damage.

Brian

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Dave, I can see from the pics that Allanm has the headlamp protectors fitted .... these usually come with the marked area to stick the tape.

You should not stick tape directly on to the plastic headlamps as the heat will cause damage.

Brian

Correct, give that man a coconut..... :clap:

I bought them because I thought that I could just leave the tape on the protectors and clip them on when we go abroad and unclip them when we come back.
Its not as simple as that though, you need to take the plastic covers off from below and above the headlight first, as John is doing now. So, I leave them on all the time.

Allan

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
As an aside to this, I'm trying to get some better bulbs for my Ducato as I'm not impressed with the lighting power. What codes are the bulbs? H1 & H7 seems to be what I can find on-line. Is that correct ?

(MH is in storage, so it's not that simple to just have a look and check!)

:thanks:

Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
As an aside to this, I'm trying to get some better bulbs for my Ducato as I'm not impressed with the lighting power. What codes are the bulbs? H1 & H7 seems to be what I can find on-line. Is that correct ?

(MH is in storage, so it's not that simple to just have a look and check!)

:thanks:

Sorted I think, they're H4 bulbs the twin filament ones. Lets hope the ones I've ordered are better than the originals

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I have a spare set in the van for travel abroad, I got them from Halfords. Mine are pretty bright, but I'd be interested in getting some more powerful dipped beam bulbs too, let us know what you eventually get and if there is any improvement.
Allan

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On my van the dipped bulbs are the outer ones and they have the larger H7 bulbs.

I've seen 100W Xenon bulbs for sale but these take nearly twice the current so this could well cause problems with wiring and switches. I would also be careful taking stronger bulbs outside the UK, your dipped beam is not going to be well controlled and could dazzle. There is an entire website devoted to the problem here in the UK. http://www.blindedbixenon.co.uk

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
I'm sticking with the power output of the original bulbs, but AutoExpress have tested bulbs recently and 'Osram Night Breaker Unlimited' came out on top, so thats what I have. H7's turned up today (which I got for the Saab originally!), so I might get some H1's locally and then send the H4s back when they appear

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Correct, give that man a coconut..... :clap:

I bought them because I thought that I could just leave the tape on the protectors and clip them on when we go abroad and unclip them when we come back.
Its not as simple as that though, you need to take the plastic covers off from below and above the headlight first, as John is doing now. So, I leave them on all the time.

Allan

We generally take the van abroad for extended trips twice a year, spring and late summer. So we fit the plastic lens covers with the masking tape in the spring and only remove them when we come back to the UK early autumn, just as the nights are drawing in and the MOT is due. :winky:

Oh, and yes, fitting and removing the protective covers is a bit of a faff, but I manage to do it by only removing the top plastic cover, and remove the screw, but not the whole trim below the headlight. Seems to work for me.

Handy guidance and photos here:

http://deepredmotorhome.com/headlampdeflectors.php

:thumb:

Mike

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Dont you hate vehicle designers.....If I were starting from scratch I would make things like the ease of changing bulbs part of the design criteria.
Why design things hard.when you could design things easy.

Another great example the diesel fuel filter on the fiat.
A nightmare of bad design and bad material choice...over complex and silly expensive that needs special tools to change and refit !!

I hate some designers and Im one myself !!!

barry

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
A bit off topic, but still relevant. ( it's about headlamps!) Mrs A had a new Beetle a few years ago. One of the headlight bulbs blew and to save taking it back to the dealers ( still under warranty) I thought I would do it myself.
Wrong, according to the dealer, you need a special tool to release the headlamp to get to the bulbs.
Anyway, we took it to them and they changed it.
A while later, we noticed paint and lacquer was lifting from the front wing. It went to the dealers to get repaired and when it came back, the headlamp was misaligned. The dealer said their repair centre didn't remove the lamp to do the repair so it wasn't their fault. They said the headlamp housing was broken and blamed Mrs A saying she must have hit something and we would need to claim on the insurance to get it fixed.
Well, I have never trusted dealers, especially this one, and looked at the lamp myself. After a bit of fiddling about and youtube viewings, I managed to get the headlamp out and discovered overspray behind the light. Also, the mounting bracket was loose and the lamp hadn't been fitted back properly. I lined it up properly and pushed it back in. It clipped into place and fitted perfectly.
So, the moral is, you don't always need special tools, dealers don't tell the truth and youtube is a great recource.
And the dealer? Canterburys main VW dealer, Eurocanterbury.
Allan

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
A bit off topic, but still relevant. ( it's about headlamps!) Mrs A had a new Beetle a few years ago. One of the headlight bulbs blew and to save taking it back to the dealers ( still under warranty) I thought I would do it myself.
Wrong, according to the dealer, you need a special tool to release the headlamp to get to the bulbs.
Anyway, we took it to them and they changed it.
A while later, we noticed paint and lacquer was lifting from the front wing. It went to the dealers to get repaired and when it came back, the headlamp was misaligned. The dealer said their repair centre didn't remove the lamp to do the repair so it wasn't their fault. They said the headlamp housing was broken and blamed Mrs A saying she must have hit something and we would need to claim on the insurance to get it fixed.
Well, I have never trusted dealers, especially this one, and looked at the lamp myself. After a bit of fiddling about and youtube viewings, I managed to get the headlamp out and discovered overspray behind the light. Also, the mounting bracket was loose and the lamp hadn't been fitted back properly. I lined it up properly and pushed it back in. It clipped into place and fitted perfectly.
So, the moral is, you don't always need special tools, dealers don't tell the truth and youtube is a great recource.
And the dealer? Canterburys main VW dealer, Eurocanterbury.
Allan

I hope you poked them in the eye.as you had proof that the unit was removed. Well done to name and shame.

barry

Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
I've now got all the bulbs I need (various internet sellers) and am going to attempt this job tomorrow. I seem to remember seeing a pictorial guide how to get the headlight units out, could anyone point me at it ?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
If yours has a Ducato base vehicle, just follow the pics and descriptions on the first page of this thread, that should be all you need.
I think you can do the nearside bulb changes without taking the headlight out.

Allan

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On the subject of maintainability as they call it these days a prize must go to the Centurion Tank - it took 24 hours of solid work to change all the spark plugs, one plug per hour as it had two per cylinder. Then the things weren't the easiest to drive either. The gear lever came up between your legs and to change you had to pause it in neutral and quickly pull on a steering lever before completing the change. If you fluffed a change on a hill and couldn't get it back in gear you lost all steering (steering only worked while it was in gear) so you rolled to the bottom of the hill totally out of control. The brakes being beyond useless. It happened to me but on a sandy track on a range so no damage done. Different thing on a public road.

I also read years ago about an old car (pre-war I think) where the first thing you did before adjusting the tappets was jack the back axle up and remove the rear wheels. So there is nothing new about hard to complete basic servicing tasks. :Smile:

Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Well, it wasn't too difficult in the end, about 30 mins each side (second one was quicker). I've parked it backup in storage again, before it got really dark, but the output did look better than before. Have some photos I just took :

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

New bulbs have the blue tinge to them, but you don't see that when they are illuminated
Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back