Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
My friends

now in Portugal is a new low that if you dont drive well it will give you an ticket of €300....:cry:

So see the photo, and if you don't want to have a police man near you, just follow the instructions. ...:thumb:

Pedro

Attachments

• rotunda.jpg
    rotunda.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 411

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
There are stories of police cars sitting the other side of roundabouts here waiting to fine offenders and queues of traffic pulled up by them and fining us 30e for overnight parking even where there are NO signs saying you cant do it denying the local shops lots of business.
Definitely not motorhome parking friendly, can't wait to go back to France.
Local couriers a joke, won't deliver to a well known address such as a general town post office unless they ring me on a Portuguese landline , (as if I carry a Portuguese landline in my motorhome)
Have rung English couriers where the parcel started out from many times, still no parcel 13 days later.
Some here say the couriers are a local joke also.
What a pallaver?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
My friends

now in Portugal is a new low that if you dont drive well it will give you an ticket of €300....:cry:

So see the photo, and if you don't want to have a police man near you, just follow the instructions. ...:thumb:

Pedro

Much the same as the UK... or what is written in our highway code...:thumb:

But not many adhere to it.. :Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Much the same as the UK... or what is written in our highway code...:thumb:

But not many adhere to it.. :Sad:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• hc_rule_185_follow_the_correct_procedure_at_roundabouts.jpg
    hc_rule_185_follow_the_correct_procedure_at_roundabouts.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 197

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
It looks bl**dy dangerous to me, if someone enters the roundabout thinking that because you are in the outside lane you are continuing around rather than exiting right, there could well be a coming together. Or am I missing something?:Blush:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
It looks bl**dy dangerous to me, if someone enters the roundabout thinking that because you are in the outside lane you are continuing around rather than exiting right, there could well be a coming together. Or am I missing something?:Blush:

Agreed!!! The car on the green arrow looks as if he is going straight over in which case I would use the nearside lane only using the outside lane to turn left (in Portugal) :Doh:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Agreed!!! The car on the green arrow looks as if he is going straight over in which case I would use the nearside lane only using the outside lane to turn left (in Portugal) :Doh:

Are we the only sane and good drivers on here Ken? ::bigsmile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Me? Sane? That is the nicest thing anyone has said to me this year!! :ROFLMAO:

But yes, my way if driving on the right is, turning right or straight on = inside lane, turning left = outside lane. :thumb:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
That is the way I was taught to drive, all of those years ago and again before I took my test for my Australian licence. It seems a much more natural and common sense way to manoeuvre a roundabout. ::bigsmile:
Oh and being described as sane by me Ken, may not be as much of a compliment as it seems at first. :Eeek: But it was all meant in the best possible taste! ::bigsmile:

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
I learned the other day that on the roundabout on where the Arc de Triomphe is you have to give way to the traffic entering the roundabout. There are a lot of feeder Avenues

Broken Link Removed

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I learned the other day that on the roundabout on where the Arc de Triomphe is you have to give way to the traffic entering the roundabout. There are a lot of feeder Avenues

Broken Link Removed

Yup, that is scary, especially on a bike as the surface is cobbled :roflmto:

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Please correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me that you must not pass an exit of the roundabout in the outside lane only crossing from inside to outside at the last minute??? :Blush:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Please correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me that you must not pass an exit of the roundabout in the outside lane only crossing from inside to outside at the last minute??? :Blush:

thats what I tought too, fine if your in a nippy car, not so great if your in a "big slow to get going from a stand still" vehicle

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm just going to drive like I normally do:thumb:

And scare the sh1t out of everyone:whatthe:

How about on approaching a roundabout, if the exit you want (and no lane selection is dictated) is after 12 o'clock (on the clock face) assuming you enter at 06:00 use the offside lane otherwise use the nearside lane...just a thought.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I'm just going to drive like I normally do:thumb:

And scare the sh1t out of everyone:whatthe:

How about on approaching a roundabout, if the exit you want (and no lane selection is dictated) is after 12 o'clock (on the clock face) assuming you enter at 06:00 use the offside lane otherwise use the nearside lane...just a thought.

If I enter a roundabout at 06:00 I generally leave before 06:01 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Deleted User
Me? Sane? That is the nicest thing anyone has said to me this year!! :ROFLMAO:

B[HI]ut yes, my way if driving on the right is, turning right or straight on = inside lane, turning left = outside lane[/HI]. :thumb:

That would be the sensible aproach but since when did governments do sensible.

This is from the Algarve Daily News:

Law 72/2013 brought some additions to The Portuguese Highway Code which came into force on the 1st January 2014.

The rules on how to circulate on roundabouts have also been defined. According to the new law,[HI] it is now prohibited to travel on the outside lane (the right hand side) unless it is used to take the next immediate exit. On entering a roundabout this lane should be used only if you are taking the first exit, for all other exits you must move into the left lane and then indicate and move to the right lane once you have passed the exit before the one you wish to take[/HI]. Driving on the outside lane for any other exit except from the very first one can result in fines from 60 to 300 euros. This law will be used to determine fault in case of accidents where collision occurs on a roundabout.

This would probably work ok if everyone followed the rules but as most drivers over here seem to have got used to driving round a roundabout in the right hand(outside) lane no matter which exit they are using I can see problems ahead !!

Deleted User
This is not the same as the new law over here, using the outside lane(left in the UK) to the 2nd exit is now against the law, not just advisory as the Highway Code.

Last edited by a moderator:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
wonder what the diagram would look like for this one

Attachments

• 600px-Swindon-Magic-Roundabout_svg.jpg
    600px-Swindon-Magic-Roundabout_svg.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 38

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Its to catch the frogs, they all stay on the outside lane going round wherever they get off, and think its for overtaking and cutting up!

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Just a thought; if you enter from a two laned road onto a roundabout that continues straight ahead as a two laned road, which lane should you be in then? :Eeek:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hello.
Have a place in Portugal,just on way back C/Tunnel tomorrow.Near to us is an island with access to the IC6,new road,Aquinos has a big factory on one corner,have perfected the art of coming in tight on the right of the road entering the island going straight across tight with the passenger door to the island,and exiting with my elbow brushing the Armacor barrier. One morning in hot pursuit module,i blasted through and standing watching on the island where two of Portugals finest,you could see they were very impressed and i was a bit miffed that they did not hold up two cards with "10" on.
I did NOT !!!,come back that way,as i know a longer route back,(Through the forest)
This Law,may/may not filter north above the Algarve,but in our district,the Learner drivers are still indicating right/left,the right again,sticking to the nearside all the way around the islands to go straight across,as regards m/cycle training,it seems you ride your machine in front of a car,driven by a learner driver,with two more l/drivers and one instructor,who observes you both.
There are three levels of police i have been informed,top honcho's are called,"Nasty" police,NO !! porties want to go to jail because it's,"Not very nice",so i will try and give it a miss to.
Tea bag aka Porty Drifter

OP
OP
Quintapedro

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
motorhome welcome to Portugal

There are stories of police cars sitting the other side of roundabouts here waiting to fine offenders and queues of traffic pulled up by them and fining us 30e for overnight parking even where there are NO signs saying you cant do it denying the local shops lots of business.
Definitely not motorhome parking friendly, can't wait to go back to France.
Local couriers a joke, won't deliver to a well known address such as a general town post office unless they ring me on a Portuguese landline , (as if I carry a Portuguese landline in my motorhome)
Have rung English couriers where the parcel started out from many times, still no parcel 13 days later.
Some here say the couriers are a local joke also.
What a pallaver?

hello ,
I 'm really disagreeing with you , I think it depends on where you're going here in PORTUGAL, and a lot depends on the behavior of people of motorhomes, for example in Albufeira ,you have 4 sites for motorhomes so the local goverment giving instructions to police not to let motorhome spend the night in the streets because same motorhome people stayed in free sites 15 days where they send then waters to the ground ..... another example , here near me there is a place where 12 motorhomes can stay for free without paying anything , they can stay 3 days , but sometimes there tayd for 15 days ....
In Silves if you passe there you will see hundreds of campervans parked on 2 sites and even have the police doing rounds to ensure their safety ..... and I know other sites in the north of Portugal , where can stay without anyone say nothing to you ....
In relation to the post office , didnt understand what happened , but sometimes I know that complicated to do things here, but with patience you will get it .....next time if you need help, tells me you'll see that everything runs smoothly with your order ...:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Roundabouts are simple in Portugal especially if you stay on Pedro's (motorhome friends) site ---you borrow Pedro's car and go round in any lane and he gets the ticket and fine off the local police-------easy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My top tip is to do your best to occupy BOTH lanes :thumb: pretty effective and often gets a toot :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back