May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Soon at last to be purchasing our MH.
Just remembering when we initially purchased our caravan we were advised carefully what makes to avoid as some Caravan site owners discourage particular caravan manufacturers as they are associated with a particular community.
So the question is does this apply to any make of motorhome too?
Look forward to your prudent advice
Ian

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think they are referring to ( amongst others ) Tabbert and Hobby. I don't think the same associations are made with Motorhomes, many people have Hobby vans and I've never heard of anyone having problems. Just keep off campsites anyway, full of caravanners!
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
First MHS

Many English Motorhomers go for traditional, English style MHs, because they resemble caravans. We have always preferred Foreigh MHs for the opposite reason, but as with everything, it is horses for courses. When you are looking round the vans, have a good look at the build quality. A van may look luxurious on the face of it, with lots of extras and a seemingly high spec, but on closer inspection, the internal panels flex when you push them and the fittings are not exactly built to last.

If you are spending thousands, sometimes tens of thousands, better to think long term. How will your van stand up to say, 5 years or more of regular use?

Happy hunting!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i know of several sites that allow motorhomes under 7m only. some are also snobby about home converted vans too

as for which vans to avoid for problems or lack of customer service when things break, then swift group and autotrail are top of the dont buy list. a search of this and other forums will show you numerous people that have had serious problems with these vans from brand new. do your research very carefully and ask questions here and you hopefully wont buy a moneypit but get a van that is a pleasure to own

i know that many on here dont like to hear this advice as they see it devalues their choice of van, but i believe you should give advice warts and all

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
some Caravan site owners discourage particular caravan manufacturers as they are associated with a particular community.
So the question is does this apply to any make of motorhome too?

Oh my, that old chestnut again! :RollEyes: No, you will not be turned away from campsites if you have a Hobby motorhome. There was one (just one!) reported incident of someone with a Hobby van being turned away from a site in Scotland - but the report was full of inaccuracies. I can't remember the details (or be bothered to search for the article) but rather than the fact that the van was a Hobby, the refusal might have been because the hab door was on the 'wrong' side, or it was a tag axle, or any other ridiculous reason you can think of. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Don't listen to these urban myths the scaremongers love to put out there. :Doh:

We have a friend who has a Hobby and its a tag axle :Eeek: we have a tag axle 7.7 mts and we have 3 other friends who have tag axles all over 7.5 mts. :Eeek: None of us have ever been turned away or refused entry to a site because of the van we drive and we drive all over Europe and have done for quite a few years.

Its a myth its not true ::bigsmile:

The only time we've ever been refused entry was when we had a American RV and that did happen quite a lot especially in France and Spain.

As for Autotrail, Swift and Bessacar again we know dozens of people who have them use them regularly have no problems and absolutely love em. After all they probably sell more units than all the other manufacturers put together so they cant be that bad and there will always be the occasional bad one in any make. If you asked me I will tell you the worst vehicles I've ever owned were Mercedes but others swear by them.

The most important thing is to find the right layout for you that's far more important than the badge on the front.

Good Luck :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back