Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
OK nice people, need some help here. Sitting in the van in Spain and a ticking/crackling noise is coming from the leisure battery under the passenger seat.

Been running the heating for the first time, so the blower has been working a bit flat out.

The indicator on the control panel shows the leisure battery is at 13.7 volts.

Any ideas? Do we need to evacuate and get a hotel room? :Eeek:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can you smell anything ?

Seriously - have you a fire extinguish handy just in case - a seat is full of foam.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can you smell anything?
(Beaten to it by Hilldweller!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Is it doing anything when you look at it .... like sparks? Does it smell?

If it does either of these things I havn't got a clue what it means but it might help somebody else who does understand batteries:Eeek:

Sorry Brian and BeeKeeper .... posted at same time!!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
images

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you need to have a good look at whats causing it, as Brian says fire extinguisher nearby and i would not leave the van unattended until you find what it is.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a fizzing sound indicates the battery is gassing as it gets a rapid charge. if you smell bad eggs or something acrid near the battery make sure its well ventilated and whatever you do, no sparks, flames or smoking in the van. loss of gas leads to the battery breathing its last gasps

you really need to monitor the battery condition over the next few days/weeks especially the electrolyte level if not sealed

OP
OP
Spottycatz

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
We had been out for a few hours and when we came back, there was a smell in the van, but it definitely wasn't a burning smell. More a gassy smell.:whatthe:
But I checked the gas and it was all switched off, although I did fill up the tanks this morning!

I have an extinguisher right beside the battery:Doh: so it's at the ready.

Can we go to bed? Your comments have just freaked the wife:Eeek:

By the way the crackling noise isn't happening all the time.

Also, I have taken the cover off the battery housing and in the darkness looked for any signs of sparking, but there's nothing?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Have you checked the electrolyte levels? A funny smell in the van and fizzing sounds like the battery is overcharging or on its way out. It could have a dead cell.
Allan

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i think you need remove whatever input charge you have going into the hab battery off until you find the issue. also make sure the terminals are secure just in case its simply a loose terminal causing sparking.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can we go to bed? Your comments have just freaked the wife:Eeek:

Time for some risk assessment. Assume that battery area bursts into flames.

Can you get to the extinguisher ?
Can you get out of the vehicle ?

At least be prepared.

The logical thing to do would be exit ASAP with extinguisher and attempt to fight fire from outside.

Sorry to be a bit scary but you're one of us, we don't want to lose you.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Crackling sound

Hi Spottycatz,
If you have been drawing quite a bit of power from the leisure battery with the blown air heating, then the battery will now be charging, hence the 13.7v. At this charge voltage, gasses will be produced which makes the crackling sound, much like a glass of fizzy pop. As far as I can say, this is normal, once the battery gets towards full charge, the charging voltage from the charger should drop to about 13.2 to 13.4 volts.
And go in to a 'float charge' state, until power is drawn from the battery, when again the charger will increase its output to recharge.
If you have concerns, regarding the state of the battery, it may be worth a check of the electrolyte level, this should just cover the plates in all cells of the battery. Also, have a feel at the sides of the battery for any unusually high temperature as this could indicate a cell has failed. A new battery would then be needed.
Sorry if this is a bit long winded, but I thought I'd try to explain as best I could, seeing as you seemed worried at the time. Hopefully I have explained it correctly.
Happy camping, Wickolad.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you are not working the battery ( charging or discharging ) chances are it will remain stable.

i would be removing any risk before i went to sleep if i was unsure.

not trying to scare you but better safe :thumb: its difficult to assess and advise when we are not physically there.

and easier to sort in daylight

Last edited:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
What ever you do don't put anything metallic (spanner) near the battery if its smelling/hissing without blowing hard/fanning with a magazine across the battery area, preferably with the door open. That gassy/slightly eggy smell is battery expelled 'telltail' hydrogen - one spark near the source and it's good night Eileen........ it will explode. I am not trying to frighten (more is to the contrary) but don't treat a gassing battery with contempt.

As said above, its either overcharging/overcharged or the battery is breaking down.

It may calm down as everything is off (that could be charging the battery) but please get it looked at.

Trikeman. :winky:

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Unplug the leccy cable, or turn off the charger until you can check it out in the morning.
Also check it is not hot.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Crackling sound

Hi, sorry for long winded reply to post, I therefore missed the update. The gassy smell, would indicate the battery is getting overcharged ' boiled'. Turn off the charger. Do not mess with the terminals of the battery until the area has been well ventilated as a spark from the terminal when removing can cause ignition of the gasses. As previous, a cell may have gone down, electrolyte may be low or the charger is putting too much power in. Check electrolyte tomorrow in light of day but in meantime, ventilate the van and turn off charger. Hope this helps. Wickolad.

OP
OP
Spottycatz

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
OK the heating is off. The crackling has stopped but there is definitely an eggy smell in the van as previously mentioned.

The battery is cool to touch and the voltage is 13.9.

Can't get to the battery to check levels as it appears to be sealed!

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Crackling sound

Hi,
Now the chargers off, once the van is ventilated to rid of the gasses you should be okay. You'll be able to have a better look tomorrow.
If the battery didn't feel hot, and by the sounds of it, a sealed maintenance free unit, then it could quite easily be down to the fact that if you left the blown air heater fan running, it has prolonged the higher voltage charge state from the charger causing it to ' boil the battery' so as to speak
Wickolad.

OP
OP
Spottycatz

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Sorry to be stupid here, but I've looked everywhere for a 'switch' or something to shut down the charger and can't find anything. Even the instruction manual says there's a safety switch, but doesn't say where it is:Angry:

We are down to one small light in the van, but the bloody charger keeps coming on every two minutes or so!!!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
look in the back of the wardrobe or wherever the mains trips are and look for what is often an illuminated rocker switch on or near the charger. worst case scenario turn off the trip that feeds the charger. this should leave fridge and heating circuits on

OP
OP
Spottycatz

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Two bloody leisure batteries!!!!!!! The other one was red hot and smelling like a hens a**e! So pulled the fuse on the second battery and will now wait a while and see if there is an improvement in smell and the charger operating.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
sadly when 2 batteries are connected and one turns up its toes and dies, it normally damages the other. so replace both at the same time or you will be back in the same situation before long. if you can manage on just one battery, you may make it home before having to buy batteries in a foreign country. much easier on warranty if they are bought near home. wouldnt want to go back to spain to replace a duff battery.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Two bloody leisure batteries!!!!!!! The other one was red hot and smelling like a hens a**e! So pulled the fuse on the second battery and will now wait a while and see if there is an improvement in smell and the charger operating.

Good job you spotted that. No touchy until everything has cooled down.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
second battery

Hi, just noticed your update. Where was the second battery if you don't mind me asking? To be honest, I thought the battery under the floor cover in front of the passenger seat was the vehicle battery on a Ducato. That is where mine is located. The leisure battery is located in a locker just behind the drivers door, and has wiring harnesses for 2 batteries. I know this appears to be going off at a tangent but it should be important if replacing a faulty battery, as one could be a vehicle battery, for high start up or cranking current. The other, deep cycle leisure.
Where you initially described the location of your leisure battery is where my vehicle battery is located. I don't want to appear know it all, but it is worth checking.
You're latest find certainly appears to be the problem, pulling the fuse is ideal.

OP
OP
Spottycatz

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
The second battery is under the drivers seat.

Pleased to report the charging has stopped and the smell is gone. :thumb:

Obviously need to replace battery (s) soon.

Many many thanks for everyones input, I love this place, couldn't do without you.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Spottycatz

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
It's morning and we're still here.:thumb:

No smell and offline battery now stone cold.

Now to hunt replacements. :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back