Nightmare!! (1 Viewer)

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
So there we are happily loading the 'bus' for our trip to Spain and Portugal via the tunnel first thing Monday :Smile: when I manage to drop something(about the size of a credit card with info re the alarm system) down the back of the Truma heater. Pulling out the drawer above we can just about see into the space behind the heater we find the card but also what looks suspiciously like mouse droppings :Eeek:
Further investigation reveals droppings in the adjacent compartment housing the boiler!! We decide, as droppings are rock hard,they are probably old but just in case have left a mickey picnic of Ryvita and cheese to see if we get any takers! :Eeek:
Further bulletin tomorrow morning! Wish us luck:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good Luck hope Mr Mouse has long gone, and he has left no unwanted surprises for you,

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Try a piece of Snickers bar. Works much better than cheese. Hope the mice have well gone!

Enjoy your trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Mouse

Don't fret. When you start the engine & move off, the vibration will panic the little bugger(s) & they will abandon ship.
Happened to us whilst RV ing in Canada & after the wife had me going bonkers with a head torch on all night that is exactly what happened:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
So there we are happily loading the 'bus' for our trip to Spain and Portugal via the tunnel first thing Monday :Smile: when I manage to drop something(about the size of a credit card with info re the alarm system) down the back of the Truma heater. Pulling out the drawer above we can just about see into the space behind the heater we find the card but also what looks suspiciously like mouse droppings :Eeek:
Further investigation reveals droppings in the adjacent compartment housing the boiler!! We decide, as droppings are rock hard,they are probably old but just in case have left a mickey picnic of Ryvita and cheese to see if we get any takers! :Eeek:
Further bulletin tomorrow morning! Wish us luck:thumb:

Aaagghh! Hope you have ousted them for good now, but was the van parked up for a while, or had you been moving it on a regular basis?

Just wondered because Bill found mouse droppings on the driver's seat and worktop several weeks back. How on earth the mouse thought his little feet would reach the pedals, I'll never know:Doh: However, haven't seen any tell tale signs since then..........we move ours every day, but it's still a bit of a worry:whatthe:

Love Yorick's comments on the Pet Passport, but try stopping these stowaways:roflmto: Good luck!

Margaret::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Ali n Tim
Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Aaagghh! Hope you have ousted them for good now, but was the van parked up for a while, or had you been moving it on a regular basis?

Just wondered because Bill found mouse droppings on the driver's seat and worktop several weeks back. How on earth the mouse thought his little feet would reach the pedals, I'll never know:Doh: However, haven't seen any tell tale signs since then..........we move ours every day, but it's still a bit of a worry:whatthe:

Love Yorick's comments on the Pet Passport, but try stopping these stowaways:roflmto: Good luck!

Margaret::bigsmile:

We were last out in the 'bus' 3 weeks ago and it's been parked on our drive since then. But to be honest we had never looked closely in the space behind the heater so the droppings may have been there for some time maybe even before we bought it (Dec 2012) :Eeek:
We'll find out in the morning if the little b**#%@s are still around. :pray:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
One sure fire way of catching a mouse is with a small dob of peanut butter in a trap, humane or not you can't afford to worry!

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
WE got them in the cab luckily it's separate from the living area but what a hell of a job to get rid of it took weeks of laying traps until I found out how they were getting in , the peanut butter was definitely the best lure, cheese is a bit of a myth and doesn't actually attract them. Beware they can do a hell of a lot of damage to your vehicle electrics they seem to love eating the wiring I did have to rewire a couple of motorhomes a few years back and renew quite a bit under the bonnet of my Nissan Navara just before I sold it.

OP
OP
Ali n Tim
Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Phew!

Thankfully no-one accepted the invitation to the picnic!! ::bigsmile:

Obviously we will keep an eye on it! As far as we can tell there is no evidence of chewed cables or anything else :Eeek:

Thanks for the advice on what to put in the traps :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Bring them down here to the sun drenched Algarve.

They can make friends with Mr and Mrs and Ms Portuguese Mouse who will teach them how to deal with sun burn.

They will LOVE the local cheese so much they will not eat your wires. :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
not to sure if mice or ants are worse.we had ants that we picked up in the south of france.took three weeks to get rid of them.they had gone by the time we got back to the ferry.just thinking about all those passports.thanks a lot yorick.:Eeek:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
the wife had me going bonkers with a head torch on all night :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Never yet happened to me!!!

Got 2 lovely brown mice living in the scuttle of my Combo van at home though.

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back