Barking Dog Alarm - have you used one? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thinking of buying a barking dog alarm, the idea of a dog barking as someone approaches appeals to us.

I can think of one or two possible problems though, but maybe that's just me going off on the wrong tangent?

The alarm is triggered by movement in front of the sensor, not by movement of the motorhome/alarm which may be a better idea.

The range for the alarm to start, through a door or panel is said to be 2 - 8m, and when there is nobody within range it will stop.

I guess if we are on a camp site, aire, public parking or similar that will mean if there are people walking around a lot of the time the alarm will go off repeatedly, is that true in practice?

Also, we have to get into the van to turn it off, so that will mean the alarm will set off again for a while, is this a problem?

If anyone has used one of these or maybe parked up near to one when set, do you have any comments?

Thanks

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
buying a 'big' dogs water and food bowl and leaving them outside would be a lot easier!!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We could do with one. Our mutt, Elvis, is a big gurl's blouse :roflmto:

21882d1387385307-dog-choice-elvis_1.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
When you get one, set it off, and it might encourage Elvis to bark too!

Catherine

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
But neither a barking alarm nor a bowl of water will fool anyone who has been watching your van with evil intent. Could always go for the real thing. :Smile:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
But neither a barking alarm nor a bowl of water will fool anyone who has been watching your van with evil intent. Could always go for the real thing. :Smile:

weve got 2 on offer if there are any takers

one whos special power is her smell gets to you long before you see her...filthy B*thch rolls in anything and everything..but if you can get past the pong shes quite a lovely little thing

and the other one...well...hell just disarm you with his cuteness....or rip parts of you off as he can be quite a feisty little chap!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A Funster bought one a couple of years ago and we tested it. The concept was very clever, it looked a bit like a transistor radio and it detected movement outside the van and barked. The bark was very realistic it sounded exactly like a dog barking ....on a radio:RollEyes:

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
A Funster bought one a couple of years ago and we tested it. The concept was very clever, it looked a bit like a transistor radio and it detected movement outside the van and barked. The bark was very realistic it sounded exactly like a dog barking ....on a radio:RollEyes:

Ah, but would it make you think it was a big dog with a sore throat?

The main question is, does it go off every time someone is within 8m, if so it could be continuous on a busy aire or site? Would it have fooled you Jim?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I bought one. The very first time I switched it on, it bit me!! :winky::winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ah, but would it make you think it was a big dog with a sore throat?

The main question is, does it go off every time someone is within 8m, if so it could be continuous on a busy aire or site? Would it have fooled you Jim?

No it just sounds like a dog on the radio, probably be a better deterrent to leave that dope Steve Wright on.:ROFLMAO:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
You need one of these.....

7112729425_c9c7b8f0a2_c.jpg

Allan

Agreed ::bigsmile:

I have this in my van:
IMG_1590.JPG

I must admit I sleep very well when wild camping. It not the dog but if someone makes the dog bark it could wake the "missus". Scary prospect ::bigsmile:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Agreed ::bigsmile:

I have this in my van:
IMG_1590.JPG

I must admit I sleep very well when wild camping. It not the dog but if someone makes the dog bark it could wake the "missus". Scary prospect ::bigsmile:

Very scary!! Where the hell did you get that photo of my wife??????:ROFLMAO:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Ours have a very good deterrent - they take the law into their own hands (or paws). They get real close, they have the front paws in the step well, heads and inch from the hab door and before calling for the cavalry by barking they just GGgggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! in a deep long, purposeful growl.
:Eeek:
Much better than any bark - could you get a 'growling' alarm?::bigsmile:

This has happened when a few rabbits, a deer and one night a drunk came a little too close for comfort.

Here they are, having a laugh, reminiscing about scaring the drunk off.

Regards,

Trikeman - Taz & Kona :winky:

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Getting back to the serious question.......Derek bought one of the earlier dog barking thingies to protect garden sheds etc. it was rubbish. A waste of. Money and it ended up in the bin (or left behind when we moved house)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I wouldn't recommend one of these, or not this version anyway, it's useless as a guard dog. Doesn't bark, only huffs at unexpected noises and cocks her head to one side. Loves everyone, no matter how strange/drunk/Teddybard!

But my god! If another dog comes around to steal our stuff we are very well protected! :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 36
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Could this be a good addition to the barking dog alarm it's a 3d picture it's head follows you whichever way you look::bigsmile:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 35

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Any would be burglar will tell you its not the guard dog that barks you have to worry about. Its the one that doesn't.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We have the deluxe version but it does need re-booting most days

Attachments

• knackered 001 (Small).JPG
    knackered 001 (Small).JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 35

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
There seem to be lots of different versions - the one we used had a large speaker that contained 8 or 9 of those big round (U2?) batteries and was triggered by a separate conventional movement detector. The bark was very realistic and frightening - particularly when triggered in the night - leading to a head-bumping incident on the van roof.

Must be better than the guy who had 2 Alsatians that remained passive whilst thieves removed the front window on a van to rob the contents.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad::Sad:I had one of these and nobody complained...

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back