Free Member
Jan 4, 2014
Christchurch
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
10 years
Hi All, Any Internet-savvi persons out there?

I work via the Internet. We are currently in Spain and I have purchased a dongle and SIM card to give me access. This will only work in Spain. We intend to travel through France and northern Europe. Will I have to purchase a SIM card in each country or is there something out there more suitable. I need several hours access a day, so need to keep the costs down

thanks in advance

Margaret

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi All, Any Internet-savvi persons out there?

I work via the Internet. We are currently in Spain and I have purchased a dongle and SIM card to give me access. This will only work in Spain. We intend to travel through France and northern Europe. Will I have to purchase a SIM card in each country or is there something out there more suitable. I need several hours access a day, so need to keep the costs down

thanks in advance

Margaret

you should purchase a 'European card' which gives access to most of the member states
I purchased mine via motorhomewifi and I use a Mifi device , 'DataRom' is another useful SIM punch in your requirement in the 'search' tag, you will find many different responses

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Europa sim...

Unlimited per day, first 500mb at High speed, remaining at slower speed but still ok for e-mail and surfing.

Only charged on days actually used...:thumb:

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
dataroam

Cautionary Tale
Sent for an unlocked Huawei mifi from eBay, about £50, got a Dataroam sim with a months usage £39. Activated the Sim via the globalgig website but could not get online at all.
Finished up having to get the, supposedly unlocked, device unlocked in Spain and buying an orange Sim for a month, 25 euros.
Re-tried the dataroam supplied globalgig Sim. Their site says its activated but it still would not get online. Contacted globalgig and dataroam, again this morning, by e-mail, still waiting for a reponse. Wont be using that service again will instead buy another orange Sim when we get to Portugal.
No doubt others will have had better luck but just be aware when things go wrong there is a danger of little response.:Angry:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A local SIM card will usually work out the best value if used over the course of a month, but our EuropaSIM will work for the same price anywhere in Europe.

That price is €3 per day for 'Unlimited' data, charged midnight-midnight central European time only on the days you connect to the internet. 'Unlimited' is in fact 500Mb at full speed (whatever that is for your location) and then as much as you can download at a much slower speed. Italy works slightly differently.

The other BIG benefit of the EuropaSIM is you can use ANY mobile network (with a handful of restrictions), so unlike a local SIM you can swap between networks to the one giving the best signal. We supply our own fully unlocked and pre-configured 3 and 4G MiFi devices which means if you do get a local SIM, you can just swap it with the EuropaSIM. if you get stuck you have Sophie and me to help you and if necessary EuropaSIM's own support team.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/

Adam
www.motorhomewifi.com

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A local SIM card will usually work out the best value if used over the course of a month, but our EuropaSIM will work for the same price anywhere in Europe.

That price is €3 per day for 'Unlimited' data, charged midnight-midnight central European time only on the days you connect to the internet. 'Unlimited' is in fact 500Mb at full speed (whatever that is for your location) and then as much as you can download at a much slower speed. Italy works slightly differently.

The other BIG benefit of the EuropaSIM is you can use ANY mobile network (with a handful of restrictions), so unlike a local SIM you can swap between networks to the one giving the best signal. We supply our own fully unlocked and pre-configured 3 and 4G MiFi devices which means if you do get a local SIM, you can just swap it with the EuropaSIM. if you get stuck you have Sophie and me to help you and if necessary EuropaSIM's own support team.

Adam
www.motorhomewifi.com

According to your own website though you can only sell the Europasim WITH a dongle or MIFI which won't be much use to a lot of people who have a device already unfortunately, this is what it says - is this still the case?

We are currently only able to sell EuropaSIM cards in conjunction with either a MiFi device or 3G dongle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having had a read about the EuropaSim, the 'extras' you get other than just the data tariff, are beneficial too:

In addition, the €3 charge now includes 25 minutes of European outgoing calls, when the SIM is used in a phone, and 50 text messages. When used in Italy you are able to access data at an even better rate of €2/day for 500Mb. If you exceed 500Mb you won’t experience any reduction in speed, but you will be charged an additional €2 for each 50Mb increment.

Link Removed

So if you need to call home and do it all on the same day, the 25 mins of European calls combined with the data usage and texting could make it quite beneficial and save a fair bit of money over just using a standard mobile phone sim to call home. :thumb:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
According to your own website though you can only sell the Europasim WITH a dongle or MIFI which won't be much use to a lot of people who have a device already unfortunately, this is what it says - is this still the case?

That's only a case for another week or so until we get our next delivery of SIM's :thumb:

So if you need to call home and do it all on the same day, the 25 mins of European calls combined with the data usage and texting could make it quite beneficial and save a fair bit of money over just using a standard mobile phone sim to call home. :thumb:

We actually recommend the Toggle SIM card for calls as you get a UK mobile number (so friends/family can use their inclusive minutes to call you) and its free for you to receive incoming calls in western Europe. Calls back to the UK or to another Toggle country are just 3p per minute (9p for some mobiles).

Toggle countries are America, Australia, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Norway, The Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom.

Portugal added this year hopefully :thumb:

Link Removed

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Helpful

Adam
www.motorhomewifi.com

Would be amongst the first to agree with your comment regarding help and assistance. You offered us unbiased information regarding the best value Sim to use. So it's only right that you should not be tarred with the same brush as that company we used.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back