Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Very useful reference page. Interesting to note that they do not recommend leaving an EBL connected to the mains continuously - e.g. when parked on the drive. Not that I do as I have a solar panel which keeps everything charged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Yes, I saw that - my van was plugged in constantly over a few years :Eeek: luckily it seems to have survived and is now in storage off hook up hence my wanting to sort out the solar panel!

This link on the site was also helpful

http://www.atlanticmotorhomeservices.co.uk/solar-power.php

I read that having say 2 50w panels would be better than a single 100w - is this still the case? I saw the Schaudt recommendation was for a maximum of 4 55w panels maximum for the regulator.

Any preferences out there for a good quality panel at a good price?

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Interesting read about batteries too? Anyone tried a Bosch s5 as a leisure battery?

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Who does competent mobile installations? PM if you would rather not post directly. I am happy to source the correct kit but I don't want someone who really knows nothing about the Schaudt blok to mess about with it, must be someone who knows what they are doing. I just do not have the time available to trek the MH 100s of miles away to a workshop and have the problem of what to do while its there for the work, plus I just cannot take leave at the moment.

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Can't see any logic in that.

I can see a lot against it. Two panels to mount. Double the connectors to fail.

It was in the Schaudt installation leaflet -probably dated by now as tech moves on quickly. Perhaps to do with panel failure.

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
That is one thing I've not noticed on here.

Our 100W was showing 0.1A today.

:Sad: oh dear. Or maybe its just indicative of the lovely gloomy days recently.

I have a small 20w stand alone panel and can never get much of a reading from it,although the little suitcase type 8w trickle chargers seem to work to a degree. Was able to leave my starter battery for 4 weeks over Xmas and the tiny trickle charger kept it going. Want to sort out a decent sized permanent panel soon though, so I can relax about the bloody batteries! :Eeek:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Who does competent mobile installations? PM if you would rather not post directly. I am happy to source the correct kit but I don't want someone who really knows nothing about the Schaudt blok to mess about with it, must be someone who knows what they are doing. I just do not have the time available to trek the MH 100s of miles away to a workshop and have the problem of what to do while its there for the work, plus I just cannot take leave at the moment.

You could have a chat with Dave Newell, knows ELB's and installs solar panels etc.
www.davenewell.co.uk

What to do with your time? well they have a bus stop into Telford, close by. There are a good selection of museums, and a various times Dave and Jackie have some complementary tickets available, there are shops, lots of them, ten pin bowling, skating ring, cinema etc, etc.

Finally, close by the workshop, is a camp site, should you wish to stay over.

Just a suggestion.:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Regarding Schaudt's twin solar panel advice, I think there may be a historic link with Hymer installations - the two companies are not far apart geographically. A factory option from Hymer was to fit 2 x 50 watt panels, but that was some years ago - may be different now. I believe there may be an advantage if there is a chance of some shading of the panel. If one is overlapped by a branch for instance, the other will continue to deliver power. Any shading on a single panel, even if only over a part of it, tends to reduce output significantly.
Despite that, I have a single 135 watt panel and am very happy with it. Fitted by Steve of Aire & Sun in Hexham but his website is no longer active so he may have packed in.
I would strongly recommend the LR1218 solar regulator as it comes complete with wiring harnesses for the EBL. This enables both leisure and vehicle batteries to be charged and the input from solar is shown on the Schaudt control panel. The LR1218 is a PWM unit, rather than a MPPT model, but at the sort of panel power most motorhomers fit, the loss is not hugely relevant in my view. I was advised that the MPPT regulators really come into their own when a large panel array is being fitted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back