camp site prices (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I've just received my MMM magazine which included a leaflet with prices for a camp site (sandy balls) in the new forest, peak season weekends unit + 2 adults £60 pn + £5.00 per dog. Am I out of touch or do people actually pay these prices? Makes the club sites look cheap.

spongy

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Sandy balls is supposed to be quite good.... But we would never pay that price.
In fact we wince and fret at £20 per night...

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
That's the highest I've seen in the uk although I have seen them this high in Europe. I have just booked 4 nights at Crystal Palace for the London marathon at a cost of £120 for MH 2 adults and a 16 year old with free dog. I thought that was expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Supply and demand I guess, they charge what they can get away with. However, go to a naturist beach and you can get them for free...:Blush:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Sandy Balls has always been expensive but its always busy.....so they seem to be able to charge what they like......

I was paying £5 a dog at Woolacoombe Sands 7 years ago sadly.......

If people pay it they will charge it............

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
down the gower u pay 28 per night a fiver if u put your awning out per night £2 per night for dogs and if your family come to visit for a day out they have to pay a fiver to get in campsite with the car and then the showers are on tokens at 1.00 each

damar

Free Member
Nov 22, 2013
buckinhgam bucks
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
first van in 1967
I to am amazed at site prices, I have just done a price comparison after receiving my supplement for this years prices for the CC , picking a site at random for 2 adults for 6 nights £177, went on the web and found a good hotel with on suite for 6 nights for just over £10 more, and of course with the hotel no tugging a van, no mud.

I think the CC and the CCC have soon got to realise that so many people are now turning to motor homes rather than caravans, and all that we need is a place to park, not all the rigmarole that is attached to there sites. I know this will not happen in the near future because there sites always seem to be full, this I can not understand.

I have cancelled my membership with the CC as we usually wild camp if in this country, but must say it is so much cheaper to travel in some country's in Europe, than here, we spent 7 weeks in France and never spent a euro on site rents ( or Tolls ).

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Will agree that Sandy Balls is quite a nice site, usually busy and quite expensive.

However, take look at Haven's Devon Cliffs, premier pitch, 2 adults, 2 kids, 25th July for one night...

An amazing £93, yes that's NINETY THREE POUNDS for one night.

I do enjoy Devon Cliffs lots, but at that price, really ??? :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP

Deleted User
Well I would appear to not be out of touch but you can't help comparing site prices with those in Europe. It does'nt take long to recoup your ferry price. In general the sites in Europe do offer much more for your money, ie swimming pool, shop, restaurant if you want all those things. Personally I am much happier on a cl site for about a tenner a night and pitch where you like.

spongy

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I agree.

We spent 3 months in France last Autumn (Sept to Nov) and used the Aire system all the time. We only had to pay for 4 nights and two of those were in San Sebastian!

Having just spent a week in Wales I realised how out of touch I am with UK pricing.

We paid as low as £5 per night for basic site (Jim's place) to as high as £13:50 for a CL with serviced pitches.

I do accept that there is 'owt fed nowt' in the UK and site owners are free to charge as they wish. For me I am happy to pay £5 for basic site and up to £10 inc leccy.

The problem I think is that for people on their annual holiday the price does not really affect them, but for me we are 'on the road' for a total of maybe 250 to 300 nights per year so the price IS very important :whatthe:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I to am amazed at site prices, I have just done a price comparison after receiving my supplement for this years prices for the CC , picking a site at random for 2 adults for 6 nights £177, went on the web and found a good hotel with on suite for 6 nights for just over £10 more, and of course with the hotel no tugging a van, no mud.

I think the CC and the CCC have soon got to realise that so many people are now turning to motor homes rather than caravans, and all that we need is a place to park, not all the rigmarole that is attached to there sites.[HI] I know this will not happen in the near future because there sites always seem to be full, this I can not understand.[/HI]

I have cancelled my membership with the CC as we usually wild camp if in this country, but must say it is so much cheaper to travel in some country's in Europe, than here, we spent 7 weeks in France and never spent a euro on site rents ( or Tolls ).

Fairly simple I think. There are approximately 3 times as many caravans as motorhomes in the UK so 3/4 of the market will tend to want more than just a place to park. Add to that the fact that the CC, C&CC and private owners have created their sites with that in mind and it is not surprising that they will charge for the facilities offered.

As DevonBeekeeper said, it's supply and demand. If sites charge too much they won't sell pitches; if they sell pitches then the charge is either right or too low, not too high.

If there were sufficient demand (and profit to be had) anywhere for just a place to park then the private sector would soon be jumping in to create motorhome sites rather than caravan sites.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I've just received my MMM magazine which included a leaflet with prices for a camp site (sandy balls) in the new forest, peak season weekends unit + 2 adults £60 pn + £5.00 per dog. Am I out of touch or do people actually pay these prices? Makes the club sites look cheap.

spongy

To be fair, that place looks more like a Centre Parcs type place ... aka Gates of Hades.
Not really representative of the type of camp site me and the missus looks for.
However, we're dropping the MiL off in Bournemouth at the end of month (must remember to make sure she can't find her way back :ROFLMAO: ), and have just got a price of £30 for two nights for the two of us and our two dogs.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have been to Sandy Balls a few times.

The best thing I have to say about the place is that there is a cracking pub just outside the gates.

As for Sandy Balls, the bars and restaurants are crap, the supermarket is overpriced, and it's full of loud brash Southerners.

Decent cycle paths though.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
And :Smile:I thought Sandy Balls was a complaint in the nether region...........seems that it is !

barry

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

spongy

I started a thread on this last year and was shot down by folks saying it's their money and they can spend it how they like which is quite true but it is, in my view , ridiculous , that you can get b&b for the same money that a campsite costs, we have just booked a week in alberferia for £200 for two on b&b including flights, which works out less than £30 a night. Doesn't make any sense to me.:Doh:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
its actually Rip off, greedy Britain where the rich are getting richer and the poorer ..you know where its going:Sad:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
its actually Rip off, greedy Britain

Not really.

If you owned a campsite where you could charge £30 a night and make a nice living, would you really only charge £10 and just scrape by ?

Be honest ?

All of working folk want our bosses to pay as much as possible. Same as in business.

DogShowDiva

Free Member
Dec 28, 2013
Sotogrande
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis
Exp
Since 2004
Yes..... Sandy Balls is very expensive, was going to book a weeks stay in August for 2 adults, 2 dogs and a dog friendly pitch ( right next to the dog walking area !!).... £485 !!!!
Now booked in for 3 days !!!! I personally think it is a great site, been there on and off for many years since 1974 !!!! ::bigsmile:

If people are happy to pay the prices then so be it !!!! Toms Field just up the road is fab .. cheap and cheerful but not the best facilities

:Smile::Smile::Smile:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Religion, smoking, A frames and site fees, :Smile:

It all down to personal choice; it's a free world - well perhaps not at Sandy Balls.

Life is too short not to do what you want to do. You can do anything you want as long as you are prepared to accept the consequences.:winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
its actually Rip off, greedy Britain where the rich are getting richer and the poorer ..you know where its going:Sad:
Not really.

If you owned a campsite where you could charge £30 a night and make a nice living, would you really only charge £10 and just scrape by ?

Be honest ?

All of working folk want our bosses to pay as much as possible. Same as in business.

Absolutely right, simple market economics.

As for a site being around the same price as a hotel, so what? I prefer staying in the van over a hotel any day whatever the price ::bigsmile:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

spongy

Sandy Balls is not a campsite. It is a holiday camp where you are allowed to pitch a tent/caravan/motorhome. The prices reflect this. If you want somewhere to park for the night, go elsewhere.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

I think the CC and the CCC have soon got to realise that so many people are now turning to motor homes rather than caravans, and all that we need is a place to park, not all the rigmarole that is attached to there sites. I know this will not happen in the near future because there sites always seem to be full, this I can not understand.

You don't even need to join the clubs to use the club sites. The whole point of joining CC/C&CC is the CL/CS network, where you can camp for £7 a night for which you get a field, tap, bins and waste dump. Wild camping is then only necessary when turning up late at night.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
It might be £60 per night at Sandy Balls in Peak Season but it's £15 in Low Season. Very similar to Park Resorts and Haven parks where in low season you can get a pitch for around £6 per night inc lecky but in high season they are also around the £60 mark. Market forces, supply and demand, call it what you like but as long as people will pay, that's what they'll charge.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We stayed at sandy balls or (gravelly nuts ) as my mate used to call it 20 odd years ago when we had a caravan and it was dear then. The kids were young then and they enjoyed it, now as only the 2 of us we go cheaper and quieter sites. Every body to their own, would be strange if we all wanted the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back