lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Hi ya guys n gals not been on here for quite a while job loss etc... meant MH had to be put on the back burner (didnt want to sell it incase i needed somewhere to live ::bigsmile:) anyways working again so MH is back on track, while I was unemployed did the cheap (free) jobs on MH rebuilt brakes etc.. (fortunately before MH was parked up for 4 years I had rebuilt brakes and replaced drag links etc.. so just a case of striping cleaning greasing adjusting etc..)

so as it stands it is mechanically sorted starts stops steers as it should bus electrics sorted (not habi elecs yet)

so now I can concentrate on the refit. So the next step is to plumb in all the electrics and water systems etc.. before reboarding her out. which leads me to a quick question.
at the mo the MH has a jerry can fresh water supply, and I am going to fit fresh and grey water tanks underneath size isnt really an issue due to size of bus But just wondering what kinda capacity tanks ppl use the MH would prob only be used a week at a time 2 adult and one child shower cassette toilet end of the day I dont want to be dragging about dead weight if Iam not going to use it

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi ya guys n gals not been on here for quite a while job loss etc... meant MH had to be put on the back burner (didnt want to sell it incase i needed somewhere to live ::bigsmile:) anyways working again so MH is back on track, while I was unemployed did the cheap (free) jobs on MH rebuilt brakes etc.. (fortunately before MH was parked up for 4 years I had rebuilt brakes and replaced drag links etc.. so just a case of striping cleaning greasing adjusting etc..)

so as it stands it is mechanically sorted starts stops steers as it should bus electrics sorted (not habi elecs yet)

so now I can concentrate on the refit. So the next step is to plumb in all the electrics and water systems etc.. before reboarding her out. which leads me to a quick question.
at the mo the MH has a jerry can fresh water supply, and I am going to fit fresh and grey water tanks underneath size isnt really an issue due to size of bus But just wondering what kinda capacity tanks ppl use the MH would prob only be used a week at a time 2 adult and one child shower cassette toilet end of the day I dont want to be dragging about dead weight if Iam not going to use it

Glad to hear you're working again, takes some of the worry away and best of luck with the build.......Griff

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
From memory ours has something like 100 litres for fresh water, 70 for grey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Glad to hear you're working again, takes some of the worry away and best of luck with the build.......Griff
It was a pretty stressful time totally unexpected, 3months with only little bits of work here and there started my new job (back at the place that layed me off) today::bigsmile: but its like the old bus saying, had no real work over xmas and today on my first day back got 3 job offers from other companys lol

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it will really depend on usage, as in will you be staying on campsites with a tap or roughing it. if the later then you will need to plan in extra capacity as you wont know when you will find a clean tap

a standard van will be equipped with 100litre tank but that may only last a couple of days showering 3 people daily etc

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
so that will be 100kg of weight (full fresh empty grey) so how do u find that lasts timewise,

Probably about 4 or 5 days at a push for the two of us, but many variables of course. On a CL and if we used the shower probably no more than 2 days. I tend to top up every day using a folding bucket and a funnel. Takes about 4 trips as it's a small bucket, about 5 litres but it saves moving the van. Have another folding bucket for the waste.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
it will really depend on usage, as in will you be staying on campsites with a tap or roughing it. if the later then you will need to plan in extra capacity as you wont know when you will find a clean tap

a standard van will be equipped with 100litre tank but that may only last a couple of days showering 3 people daily etc

prob mainly staying at campsites (the chances of the bairn showering daily is pretty slim lol) if we are roughing it will probs only be a weekend I use bottle water for drinking so the on board will be shower and dish washing useage mainly

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Probably about 4 or 5 days at a push for the two of us, but many variables of course. On a CL and if we used the shower probably no more than 2 days. I tend to top up every day using a folding bucket and a funnel. Takes about 4 trips as it's a small bucket, about 5 litres but it saves moving the van. Have another folding bucket for the waste.

do find the grey waste is pretty much full when u have run out/low on fresh water

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
I only ever owned caravans before and used to having the external tanks,

I dont want to have too small capacity and having to refill Moving van or buckets but likewise dont want to be draggin about 1/2 ton of water if i dont need to I have a lot of room under the bus so space isnt to much of a issue p I will have a payload once finished with dry tanks about 2000kgs to play with (but will be draggin my car sometimes so dont want to eat into the gtw to much

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
bearing in mind youre not drinking the water, then you will produce 90% of the water in waste. i empty waste and top up water every 2 days to keep it fresh. its surprising how much you use in an average day

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I only ever owned caravans before and used to having the external tanks,

I dont want to have too small capacity and having to refill Moving van or buckets but likewise dont want to be draggin about 1/2 ton of water if i dont need to I have a lot of room under the bus so space isnt to much of a issue p I will have a payload once finished with dry tanks about 2000kgs to play with (but will be draggin my car sometimes so dont want to eat into the gtw to much
each aquaroll is 40litres so a 100l tank is 2 1/2 of them. many caravanners use at least 1 aquaroll per day

im certain you can work out your projected usage based on this but then add 10% extra to be sure. cak tanks make them in set sizes, choose one size up from your expected use

just because you have fitted a 150litre tank doesnt mean you have to fill it every time

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
bearing in mind youre not drinking the water, then you will produce 90% of the water in waste. i empty waste and top up water every 2 days to keep it fresh. its surprising how much you use in an average day
its one of them things until u start to monitor the usage u just dont think about how much u use/waste. so I think equal size tanks is a must

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
do find the grey waste is pretty much full when u have run out/low on fresh water

Yes, I guess the grey tanks are slightly smaller as a proportion of the fresh ends up in the cassette after being filtered, so to speak through your kidneys plus flushing water of course:Smile:. But both need emptying at the same.

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
each aquaroll is 40litres so a 100l tank is 2 1/2 of them. many caravanners use at least 1 aquaroll per day

im certain you can work out your projected usage based on this but then add 10% extra to be sure. cak tanks make them in set sizes, choose one size up from your expected use

just because you have fitted a 150litre tank doesnt mean you have to fill it every time
sounds like a plan size wise.

its not just the weight I have plenty of room under the bus but if i dont need 2 300l tanks I rather have that space for storage ,
so it seems the general thing is 100l is pretty much the normal and that is gonna be a couple of days worth.
just trying to plan the refit as much as poss and get it right first time (well close to) even trying to future proof it like i cant afford a sat system yet but going to do the cable runs before everything is paneled up

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Try and insulate all the tanks if you can, or at least allow for later fitting, and some wires run for possible heaters to prevent freezing could also be useful and easy enough to add at this stage. You may not need it but you never know.

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Try and insulate all the tanks if you can, or at least allow for later fitting, and some wires run for possible heaters to prevent freezing could also be useful and easy enough to add at this stage. You may not need it but you never know.
Its things like that I am trying to plan for might not be able to afford it yet or find i need but if i have cable runs in ready etc.. going to make life a lot easier in the future

I think because its a self build and I starting with a blank canvas you have so many choices and options its hard to decide i have so many different plans that i have gone through for layouts etc.. looking a motorhomes to see how they have done it and does it work for me and what doesnt etc...

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
will be interesting to see how much weight she has lost when its finished i think it was built orig with whatever was handy the walls where lined with 8mm ply the floor is wood with 2inch poly then 10mm ply then laminate floor toilet was built with 15mm mdf had a hydraulic tailgate (That was some weight lol) which is now a removed and ali rear end I had her on the weigh bridge before started the refit and she weighed in at nearly 6t

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I have 77 ltrs fresh water tank and a 70ltr waste, I fill fresh tank up when leaving home , then top up with watering can on site , I have a separate 23ltr wheeled waste water container to put under fixed waste water tank tap, easier to empty every day, don`t drink water out of tank, unless it has been boiled first as in tea, have bottled water for drinking.

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
I think from the feed back 100l to 150 for each tank is going to be the size for the ole bus

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
well I have sorted a very good solution for my grey water waste tank after having another good look under the bus, it turns out the bus had 2 diesel tanks at some point during its life the second has been removed but they left all the metal work, anyways after abit of searching on the net I found new old stock plastic diesel of the right size band clamped to exsiting hardware ::bigsmile: got a 2inch drain fitted to the bottom fitted 2 coolant level sensors from a couple of scrap cars one fitted halfway up and one 3inchs from the top,

so now I have a 168 litre waste tank with led level indicator and the orig filler neck and cap to get the hose pipe in to rinse ( filler neck lined up perfect with orig filler flap)
tank sits 5inchs below floor level so I am hoping that will give me enough drop for the shower

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back