LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I have owned and used iPad and Android tablets and I'm looking at a Windows 8 Tablet (not RT)

The iPad is just great, but the price and lack of expansion is a downside.

Some Android Tablets are very good, but they are very badly let down, by an OS (Android) that is, IMHO, quite frankly hopeless. It seems that you can't build and launch an OS in such a short space of time and expect it to be any good. Give it a few more years and it might get somewhere near.

So my question is, to you that know about these things, do you think, a Windows 8 tablet, is one for now and the future?

A few hundred quid rests on your opinions.

:Cool:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I thought the win8 tablets were expensive & underpowered compared to the equivalent lappies and bought a lightweight touch screen lappie instead :thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Be careful. Some of the cheaper windows tablets will not run all programs and is no better than android.
My new pooter is an asus trio running windows 8.1 on the main pooter and android when i use the screen as a tablet.

I have to say win 8 is superb screaming fast but you have to learn how it works.

A lot depends on the chip mine is an i5 dual core wit the haswell architecture screeb/tablet is a dual core atom.

Very pleased with it. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Be careful. Some of the cheaper windows tablets will not run all programs and is no better than android.
My new pooter is an asus trio running windows 8.1 on the main pooter and android when i use the screen as a tablet.

I have to say win 8 is superb screaming fast but you have to learn how it works.

A lot depends on the chip mine is an i5 dual core wit the haswell architecture screeb/tablet is a dual core atom.

Very pleased with it. :thumb:

Now that is interesting. You dual boot. How do you find Android compared to Win 8?

Can you not run Win 8 on the tablet ? If not? Why not?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not what you are asking, but I upgraded my phone on O2 to a nokia lumia windows phone in September , S..T !!!!! No apps worth a toss , everything geared to Microsoft , wanting passwords all the time , iv now chucked it and gone out and bought a Motorola moto x on android , no comparison even though it cost me £100 , wouldn't go back:thumb:

OP
OP
M

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Not what you are asking, but I upgraded my phone on O2 to a nokia lumia windows phone in September , S..T !!!!! No apps worth a toss , everything geared to Microsoft , wanting passwords all the time , iv now chucked it and gone out and bought a Motorola moto x on android , no comparison even though it cost me £100 , wouldn't go back:thumb:

This is exactly the info I'm looking for.

Does the Nokia run win8?

If so, don't all the apps that run on Win8 on a computer, also run on Win8 phone or tablet?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know mate, but it's got menu square things all over the start screen that you have to use, maybe it's me not being used to it, since I now do everything on I pad and nexus android but used to have windows computer and laptop and always used them fine.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I use the HP Elite Pad running Windows 8 for work and use a Nokia Lumia also windows 8 :thumb:
The elite pad with all accessories is not cheap £1100 :Eeek: (company pays)
I must stop leaving it in the car:Doh:
The Nokia Lumia is a fantastic phone and easy to use :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Explain please.

I hoped you'd not ask.

OK.

Microsoft is the master of bloatware ( you can google that ).

Apple and Android have such a head start and absolutely vast user base Microsoft can't possibly catch up.

They all aim to do the same thing, so Android is the best value and does not suffer Apple control freak mentality.

OP
OP
M

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I hoped you'd not ask.

OK.

Microsoft is the master of bloatware ( you can google that ).

Apple and Android have such a head start and absolutely vast user base Microsoft can't possibly catch up.

They all aim to do the same thing, so Android is the best value and does not suffer Apple control freak mentality.

I accept what you say, but having used both, iOS is light years ahead of Android. If you think otherwise, you can't possibly have had extended use of both.

My question is really, can you run the same apps on a Win8 tablet as you do on a Win8 PC ?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think MS will be the big name in tablets in a couple of years windows is far better than Android in my opinion. They just need a year or two to get it sorted.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My question is really, can you run the same apps on a Win8 tablet as you do on a Win8 PC ?

As far as I can see, no.

The problem being most tablets are ARM based and that cannot run Intel code.

I saw somewhere M$ are out to fool some folk by including a few well know names but not exactly the same as the PC versions.

The other big problem is the old PC software is so dependent on big hard drives something not found in tablets.

So it's would not be impossible to build a PC compatible tablet but to pick it up and have it running long enough on battery would be some feat.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Mrs A and my daughter (Miss A?) both have Dell Latitude 10 tablets running Win 8 ( Mrs A runs 8.1)
They like them, I have installed the normal PC version of Microsoft Office using a USB DVD drive. Mrs A uses hers to run her business and can do everything on it that she did on her laptop but quicker.
Me, I can't get on with Microsoft or Windows and use an Ipad mini. I have 30+ gb of files stored on Dropbox that I can access with my ipad, so lack of storage isn't an issue
Allan

OP
OP
M

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
As far as I can see, no.

The problem being most tablets are ARM based and that cannot run Intel code.

I saw somewhere M$ are out to fool some folk by including a few well know names but not exactly the same as the PC versions.

The other big problem is the old PC software is so dependent on big hard drives something not found in tablets.

So it's would not be impossible to build a PC compatible tablet but to pick it up and have it running long enough on battery would be some feat.

That seems to answer my question.

So it's a new iPad for me. Price and no expandability is better than having to keep suffering Android.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I think MS will be the big name in tablets in a couple of years windows is far better than Android in my opinion. [HI]They just need a year or two to get it sorted[/HI].

Yep.... such as Windows Me(biggest load of pooh ever), Vista (released on 30 January 2007),second biggest load of pooh ever. LOL

They are well behind....

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
This is what I bought. Windows 8 is running all my software and hardware with the exception of my Railink wi fi booster (awaiting new driver).
The tablet is great for sitting around browsing and when docked you have the benefit of both systems.
Once you get to know windows 8 it is superb and VERY fast.
Not cheap but well made and has a good solid feel to it.

http://www.johnlewis.com/store/asus...p232890308?navAction=jump&_requestid=22086534

:Smile:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
That seems to answer my question.

So it's a new iPad for me. Price and no expandability is better than having to keep suffering Android.

As a matter of interest, what don`t you like about Android compared to Apple?

OP
OP
M

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
As a matter of interest, what don`t you like about Android compared to Apple?

It's leaden compared to iOS.

Many apps that run perfectly in iOS are continually freezing on Android, or they just close down on their own.

Close isn't the right word as they are still running in the background, but just not on screen.

Closing running apps is long winded, whilst iOS is quick and easy.

Unlike iOS which is upgradeable, Android appears not to be, unless the Tablet maker makes the upgrade available.

I'm sure the experts will tell me that if you go into this that or the other and tweak it here and there and change that to this etc, etc, etc, then it will work this way that way or the other.

I don't want something that has to be continually tweaked or cajoled into doing what it should be doing in the first place.

The amount of times I have had to search on the net to overcome a problem with an app on Android has worn me out. Just uninstall it and then re-install it seems to be the way to do most things on Android.

The iPad just works and if an app is designed to run on it then it just does.

Well you did ask.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Many apps that run perfectly in iOS are continually freezing on Android, or they just close down on their own.

Close isn't the right word as they are still running in the background, but just not on screen.

Unlike iOS which is upgradeable, Android appears not to be, unless the Tablet maker makes the upgrade available.

I'm sure the experts will tell me that if you go into this that or the other and tweak it here and there and change that to this etc, etc, etc, then it will work this way that way or the other.

I don't want something that has to be continually tweaked or cajoled into doing what it should be doing in the first place.

The amount of times I have had to search on the net to overcome a problem with an app on Android has worn me out. Just uninstall it and then re-install it seems to be the way to do most things on Android.

Well you did ask.

That's fair enough, must say I use ipad at home but still like android better, if you are looking at doing spreadsheets and stuff I would say a tablet isn't the thing to go for on any platform, with my banana fingers and the tiny keyboard it's near enough impossible that's why I use the ipad , at least I can see the keys:thumb:::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yep.... such as Windows Me(biggest load of pooh ever), Vista (released on 30 January 2007),second biggest load of pooh ever. LOL
They are well behind....
How about Windows 7, any criticisms about that.:winky:
As far as tablets I do have a play with them in John Lewis and from what I find, in a lot of ways they are more user friendly than my lovely Android Note2 10.1.
Time will tell.
I'm also tempted with Nokia Lumia phone getting better with every model.

But I am no expert................:Smile:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp

Well you did ask.

Thanks. I changed from Iphone to Galaxy S3 12 months ago and hate it with a passion.

I cannot quite put my finger on why and maybe if I spent some time playing with it I would like it more. Also have a ipad 2 and 7in Asus Phonepad 7inch.

Will look at going back to Iphone when my contract ends in August but must say I do like the bigger screen on the Samsung.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks. I changed from Iphone to Galaxy S3 12 months ago and hate it with a passion.

I cannot quite put my finger on why and maybe if I spent some time playing with it I would like it more. Also have a ipad 2 and 7in Asus Phonepad 7inch.

Will look at going back to Iphone when my contract ends in August but must say I do like the bigger screen on the Samsung.
The S3 is different but I cant see anything to hate about it. Dont give up though as the new S6 will be launched in the first quarter could be a temptation for you.:winky:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have changed from Iphone to Nokia Lumia (windows 8) and much prefer it. I will agree there are less apps but the ones I want are there. Good maps good (free) satnav and I can get news weather and my share portfolio (sounds grand but I can assure you it isn't)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
The S3 is different but I cant see anything to hate about it. Dont give up though as the new S6 will be launched in the first quarter could be a temptation for you.:winky:

Different to what?

It is Android and everything seems to take longer than it did on the iphone. Probably user error though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back