Tesco's Hudl with Free and Paid For SatNav Apps - Thoughts Please. (1 Viewer)

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
Hi

I have no real experience of SatNavs other than using a Garmin hand-held GPS for Geocaching and the free Trafficmaster that came with the Citroen which was not much good outside UK, but I am fairly au fait with technology in general.

Over the past few months I've looked at many threads on SatNavs in here and I was considering either the Garmin Nuvi 54 LM with free Europe Map updates (£99) or one of the Chinese 7" SatNavs available on eBay and often discussed here (£50-£70).

However I am now seriously thinking of getting a Tesco Hudl tablet which would cost £60 in Clubcard points which is in reality free, has 7" screen, GPS chip (unlike my wife's WiFi only iPad!), 32GB Micro SD slot etc. Then thought of trying out free Android SatNav Apps of which there seems to be quite a few and then perhaps forking out for one of the paid for ones. (Would really like to be able to upload a variety of POIs.)

In doing this I would end up with SatNav AND a fairly well reviewed tablet into the (virtually free) bargain!

Any first hand experiences with Tesco Hudl?
Any first hand experiences with free Android SatNav Apps?
Any first hand experiences with paid for Android SatNav Apps?

Thanks
(NB: I've posted this on some the the other similar MH forums as well.)

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have 2!

A fantastic bit of kit for the nothing we paid!

I have Europe wide Sygic satnav on mine. It works fine in the UK, I will have a better idea of the Europe mapping when I go skiing in 5 weeks! The Sygic trial version is free and the mapping, for the whole of Europe, with lifetime updates, is about £35.

We also have a Dutch multi-country aire app and this works seamlessly with both Sygic and Google Maps.

One point to bear in mind is how you will mount the tablet in your van for satnav use. Ours sits nicely jammed in the dashboard inside its leather wallet!

Hope this helps,:thumb:

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The problem with any none GPS dedicated device, such as a phone or tablet is they tend to go to sleep after a short while if you don't touch the screen. You can get apps such as redeye to stop this but whether they work with your navigation programming I don't know.

A proper car GPS will also dim its screen at dusk automatically and go into night mode with a dark background. A tablet can also be set to automatically adjust brightness but what they do is not as effective as my Garmin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
No experience with the hudle... But lots of us use Co pilot on android. World very well and you can use tomtom pois...
It has a motorhome setting too.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The problem with any none GPS dedicated device, such as a phone or tablet is they tend to go to sleep after a short while if you don't touch the screen. You can get apps such as redeye to stop this but whether they work with your navigation programming I don't know.

A proper car GPS will also dim its screen at dusk automatically and go into night mode with a dark background. A tablet can also be set to automatically adjust brightness but what they do is not as effective as my Garmin.

My hudl doesn't switch off its screen in satnav mode. Like you say though, there is no night mode I am aware of!

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
The problem with any none GPS dedicated device, such as a phone or tablet is they tend to go to go to sleep after a short while if you don't touch the screen. You can get apps such as redeye to stop this but whether they work with your navigation programming I don't know.

never had the go to sleep issue in 6+ years of using phones and now a tablet as a satnav, using tomtom ( winmo days) copilot (android for past 4 years) and google maps ( now and then)
and all of the above have always switched to night mode at dusk too

And I think id have to completley disagree with the effective bit too, Copilot is significatntley more versatile than either of the garmin units we have in the house...really must get them on ebay, although one of them is pretty good as a bookend...which to be fair my phone wouldnt be:ROFLMAO:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

My Galaxy II and navigator software never switched the screen off in 4 months of using it !! I think this is more likely your own issue of not adjusting the screen settings in androids configuration settings:thumb:

I compared the Hudl with a Nexxus yesterday, the Hudl looks good!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Its the SatNav software that goes into night mode not the hardware. The hudl is the easiest I've come across to use but then again thats the Hudl implementation of the Jelly Bean software . Its a quick tablet but I do have issues with the touchscreen appearing to lock up but only in some areas.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a nexus 7 with navfree on it and it's never let us down anywhere, you do have to change the country when you go over the border but that's all, better than any dedicated satnav I have had, and I've had a few:Eeek:
And also as in the thread I did yesterday we have airescampingcars on it as well.
All you will ever need in France. Huddle will be just the same as it is android as well

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I agree with JONANDSHELL about the "App" he mentioned with a link.... It is called "Camperstop" and is very good.. Its Dutch and they get everywhere as we all know...
Stick that on your I-Pad and also install Tom Tom and away you go..... Mitch..

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
Try this.

You can download Co-Pilot live from play store for free (UK) :thumb: it's fully working but has no voice guidance. Try it out, if you like it and it works how you want you just upgrade to have voice guidance. You don't get that sort of offer from many companies, it shows their confidence.

I have had Co-Pilot on my Android phones for years its brill, i now have it on my Nexus 7 tablet as well and prefer it to the one built into my car, it pretty much instantly reroutes when you go wrong.

Its on offer at the moment, this ends 6th Jan so maybe not a good offer if you are going to try it out.

I have full European navigation and it cost less than £40 ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no personal experience of Hudle but a friend bought one for his son.

Constant stream of advert popups for tesco.

I just downloaded Copilot to my samsung tab and though I havent used it yet it does dim the screen to night mod using the inbuilt clock and the app stops the tablet sleeping.

Night screen, sleep etc are all adjustable menu items

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
no personal experience of Hudle but a friend bought one for his son.

Constant stream of advert popups for tesco.

I just downloaded Copilot to my samsung tab and though I havent used it yet it does dim the screen to night mod using the inbuilt clock and the app stops the tablet sleeping.

Night screen, sleep etc are all adjustable menu items

No Tesco advert popups on my Hudl, pappajohn ?

Have had 'Navigator' (free) for some time as a back-up. Voice commands are active and the Map selections are world wide.
There appears to be a full scope of 'settings' as well.
Have just done a free map update for Europe so am not sure what extras the paid update contribute?
Any other users ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bridie

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
No Tesco advert popups on my Hudl, pappajohn ?

Have had 'Navigator' (free) for some time as a back-up. Voice commands are active and the Map selections are world wide.
There appears to be a full scope of 'settings' as well.
Have just done a free map update for Europe so am not sure what extras the paid update contribute?
Any other users ?

Is that "Navitel Navigator" Sam?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No pop up ads on ours.

There are quite useful user guide widgets on the home screen out of the box, but these can be removed easily in the normal android shortcut removal manner.

A tesco button stays on the bottom left of the screen for access to their websites. If you don't want to go there don't press it!!::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bridie

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
I have Europe wide Sygic satnav on mine. It works fine in the UK, I will have a better idea of the Europe mapping when I go skiing in 5 weeks! The Sygic trial version is free and the mapping, for the whole of Europe, with lifetime updates, is about £35.

jonandshell

Can you upload POIs to Sygic?

If YES, is it easy/straightforward?

Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back